Phantom-II development story

Old August 29th 04, 02:48 PM
Pechs1

sergio- Could you explain what was the flap/slat problem of the F-14 ?
BRBR

In a nutshell, if the LE slats were forced to reverse direction quickly, a
torque tube broke, and 'system' said no more movement of the slats...they
stayed at that position. If the configuration was certain ways, it precluded a
CV recovery. Why lots of F-14 pilots used manual slat deployment when fighting
it.

They just needed stronger components and a smarter deployment schedule but the
jet was pretty 'basic', not electronic at all, ala the F-16/8.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old August 29th 04, 07:45 PM
Sergio

Thanks, Commander.

--
Sergio

Old August 30th 04, 07:59 PM
José Herculano

Dunno about John, but my conclusion is that there is no essential
advantage in combat between a one and two jet aircraft. As long as T/W
is adequate, it doesn't make much difference. The increased complexity

The stats I've seen seem to support your comment that for fighting the
aircraft it really doesn't matter much, although there is not a lot of
relevant data regarding the latest generation of birds... the latest wars
have not - thankfully! - been high on combat attrition.

As for anecdotal evidence, I've seen pictures of an F-105 and an F/A-18 that
came home with an IR missile in the butt. Don't know if an F-16 could have
survived that, though.

But most of the flight hours are not spent in combat, and the stats say that
engine-failure prangs are higher for single engine birds. Those stats also
say that those engine related mishaps are not usually fatal, due to the new
high-tech escape systems. So the question seems to be whether an higher rate
of silk coming down is that relevant. And the answer seem to be, it depends.
In the frozen expanses of Finland or Canada, the rugged terrain of
Switzerland, the outback of Australia or the big drinks, it may well be an
issue. And all those have opted for a twin engine solution.

I don't think that the USAF F-35 will have a problem by being a single
engine aircraft. And the perceived need for the STOVL variant almost
mandated the single engine. And so the Navy must get the short end of that
deal...
_____________
José Herculano

Old August 30th 04, 09:11 PM
John Carrier

SNIP

About 60% of my 4800 hours were in twin-engine aircraft. Had 7 engine
failures that required SE landings (No CV, but maybe somebody was telling
me
the same thing). The remainder, F-8's and A-4's, not a hiccup from the
motor.

R / John

John,

Is it your contention from these statements that single engine fighters
are
already more reliable than twins?

--Woody

No, merely that greater "twin-engine" reliability is a fiction, amply
supported by both statistical and anecdotal (aka "inconvenient") evidence.
Incidentally, the F-8 and the A-4 were a hell of a lot more fun to fly than
the F-4 and F-14. I also readily admit that the F-4 was a better fighter
than the F-8 (although many F-4 drivers never demonstrated that fact) and
the F-14 was a better fighter than the F-4.

R / John

Old September 6th 04, 05:30 AM
WaltBJ

My info on this 2 vs 1 is way out of date; does anyone have up to date
stats? FWIW In about 3500 hours I lost an engine in each of the T33
and 102; 2 engines in 104s, got all 4 of them back (all flameouts; ice
([probably) in the T33 and duct stalls in the others.) But in just
over 2000 hours in the F4 I lost 5 and never got any of them back. 2
shutdown for zero oil pressure, 1 for accessory drive failure, and 2
at once for fuel blockage. On that last one we also lost the airplane.
10/10/78 was my "second birthday".
Old November 15th 04, 07:26 PM
Ozman Trad

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

Second, two versus one isn't all the reliability advantage it's
cracked up to be.

I've heard a saying regarding this: "the second engine takes you to the
crash"