Bf 109F

Old January 27th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Bf 109F

I saw an ad in my current Trade-a-Plane for a "new from the factory" Bf 109F
still in its original shipping crate as manufactured in 1942.

Has anyone heard anything about this find? I wonder if it's a scam?

What a find--wow.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A

Old January 27th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"Tri-Pacer" wrote:

I saw an ad in my current Trade-a-Plane for a "new from the factory" Bf 109F
still in its original shipping crate as manufactured in 1942.

Has anyone heard anything about this find? I wonder if it's a scam?

Well, anybody who watches Antiques Roadshow knows these sorts of things are
*always* worth more in their original packaging :-)
Old January 27th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:04:42 -0800, "Tri-Pacer"
wrote:

Hard to say, but word has it those who have inquired haven't gotten
very far. If you call Trade-A-Plane and ask about the ad, they'll
instantly know what you're talking about "Oh, you're calling about
the Bf-109 ad...???" and they'll cheerfully take your "message /
questions" about said ad, but where it goes from there....???.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but if it sounds too good to be true....

Bela P. Havasreti

Old January 27th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Tri-Pacer wrote:

I saw an ad in my current Trade-a-Plane for a "new from the factory" Bf 109F
still in its original shipping crate as manufactured in 1942.

Anything's possible. Sweden, Finland, and Spain all bought Bf-109s. Spain
actually started making copies of 109-Gs after the war, using Merlin engines
instead of the German Jumos. One of these copies shows up at Oshkosh or Sun'n
Fun every few years. It's even possible that this is a Luftwaffe aircraft that
got mislaid. The F model was not popular and was rapidly replaced by the Gs as
they became available. Someone could've shoved a brand-new F into the corner as
"obsolete."

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old January 27th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Anything's possible. Sweden, Finland, and Spain all bought Bf-109s. Spain
actually started making copies of 109-Gs after the war, using Merlin
engines

In the mid 60's I owned a Champ that I had bought from the Rota Navy flying
club and was a member of el Real Aero Club de Espana. This was a
social----flying-----parachuting club sponsored by the Spanish Air Force. I
was given hangar space at Tablada Air
Base just outside Sevilla.

They had the Spanish license built versions of the Bf 109. He 111 and Ju 52
based there. They also had a 2 place version of the 109. I begged and
pleaded for a ride but was told "Too dangerous" and never got a ride.

When they declared the planes obsolete and were up for sale, my Spanish
Airforce buddies told me they would get me 2 planes crated up of "display"
quality, but they would insure that my "display" planes would have sound
airframes and engines and would have complete logs for the sum of $5000.00.

At this time I was an E-6 making I think about 3600 a year or so. In
addition I had just gotten word that I had been appointed a Warrant Officer
and had orders to report to Vicenza Italy for processing then to Ft. Lewis
WA.

So there went my chance to kill myself trying to master the ground handling
of the 109.

I still have a German altimeter from one of the planes. It was manufactured
in the mid 30's so it was probably used during the civil war.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A

Old January 28th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

At this time I was an E-6 making I think about 3600 a year or so. In
addition I had just gotten word that I had been appointed a Warrant
Officer and had orders to report to Vicenza Italy for processing then to
Ft. Lewis WA.

So there went my chance to kill myself trying to master the ground
handling of the 109.

Cool story, Paul -- thanks for sharing it.

I'm amazed how many old guys share the same type of story, here at the inn.
We usually start out talking about warbirds, and, sooner or later, the
conversation turns to "I coulda bought a Mustang back in 1954 for $3000 --
and it had full tanks!"...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck