Would you buy this?

Old January 30th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Would you buy this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cessn...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2D332D8C

Saids the rivet job is iffy...

If so, why? If not, why?

The Monk

Old January 30th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Wouldn't this be like buying a kit plane that you had to tear down to
move before you could start reassembling? I bought a wrecked Funk a few
years back and didn't pay this much for a plane that was in much better
condition. This sounds like one that should be given away to someone who
would take the time and trouble to rebuild from the ground up. (I wonder
how many Robins try to hatch this thing every spring).

Old January 30th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

If so, why? If not, why?

Sure!

It would look good mounted atop our Alexis Park Inn sign...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 30th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay, that's about all it is good for.. no logs, iffy rivets.. no airworthy
cert
I'd say it's not worth the current $5K bid, even for parts
BT

Old January 30th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay, that's about all it is good for.. no logs, iffy rivets.. no airworthy
cert
I'd say it's not worth the current $5K bid, even for parts

Now if we could only get the city fathers to let me mount an airplane up on
my already illegal sign...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 30th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article .com,
"Flyingmonk" wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cessn...raft_W0QQitemZ
4607792033QQcategoryZ26439QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2D332D8C

Saids the rivet job is iffy...

If so, why? If not, why?

The Monk

It started life as a ragwing C140 and was metallized somewhere along the
way.

If the rivets (I presume on the metal skin on the wings) is iffy, it
should be relatively easy to convert it back to fabric. I would want to
check carefully for corrosion and damage (repairs) to the landing
gearbox structure and in the rest of the fuselage.

No logs/C of A means a lot of work just getting inspections, etc. Engine
would require a complete rebuild -- maybe not a lot of parts to replace,
however.

A axiom is that such a plane really isn't a bargain, even if somebody
gives it to you.

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old January 30th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article .com,
"Flyingmonk" wrote:

[...]

I wonder if it even has a data plate. They came with 85hp and I would guess
getting paperwork passed to OK a lesser hp would be near impossible. The
top of the vertical stab is bent so it has probably been on its back. Put
$40K into it and you would have a $25K airplane.