Got to land a King Air 90 today...

Old February 29th 04, 06:43 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:2510c.413926$I06.4563957@attbi_s01...
Maybe I can talk the boss into a trip out there and you can get some

JetProp
time.

What's a JetProp? I'm up for it, whatever it is!

Twin Commander. It has a high wing...you might not like it...

High wing; low ass. A low-rider with wings.

Old February 29th 04, 06:44 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Jay Honeck wrote:

If I had to choose between having the stripper on board, with me as a
passenger -- or me on board, acting as co-pilot in the right seat -- I'd
choose the right seat.

You don't usually get to handle the controls with a stripper. :-(

Which "controls" are you referring to?

Old February 29th 04, 06:47 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
You're not manipulating the controls. You are an organic autopilot.

Well, I guess I've been called worse things...

;-)

Especially in this group!! :~o

Old February 29th 04, 06:50 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Big John" wrote in message
C.J.

Jay only handled the controls during the repositioning portion of
flight. No passengers/customers were aboard during this time.

Is the C90 rated for single pilot? If so, anyone pilot desires can
occupy the right seat even a passenger or customer.

Turbo-props are all single-pilot if Part 91 (okay...FAA lawyers have at it).
The Cessna Citations 50xSP/CJ/CJ1/CJ2 are also SP with certain defined
equipment and a SP certification for the pilot.

Old February 29th 04, 06:54 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Big John" wrote in message
C.J.

Jay only handled the controls during the repositioning portion of
flight. No passengers/customers were aboard during this time.

Is the C90 rated for single pilot? If so, anyone pilot desires can
occupy the right seat even a passenger or customer.

Am I correct and will this make someone sleep better )

Big John

For what's it's worth. I used to let none rated fly both Heavy Iron
and GA. Even got my Flight Surgeon proficient enough he could have
landed the T-33 if I had had a heart attack. Sure made my annual
physical easier G

Welcome aboard Jay.

The C90 is rated for single pilot. In fact, it requires no type rating at
all. It is fairly easy to fly, but I still have to think that flying a
multi-engine turboprop single pilot IFR has to be one of the most

exhausting
jobs in aviation.

Much less exhausting than a light piston twin, especially if the TP is well
equipped with MFD checklists, etc. The hard part is staying ahead of the
plane. Same thing with a Citation. If you're not used to speed, you're going
to fall behind. That's part of the reason my bosses wanted someone for right
seat; they're both Citation SP rated, but pushing 70 and don't feel as sharp
as they used to be.

Old February 29th 04, 06:57 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
If he was in 'ground idle', speed was probably fast without a lot of
brake. Does the C90 have 'beta'? I used 'beta' in some of the birds I
flew to take some of the prop pitch off taxing so wouldn't wear the
brakes out.

Yeah, we used beta thrust constantly while taxiing.

I thought the brakes on the King Air were pretty marginal, actually.

What they teach in the TC course is to avoid riding the brakes (and beta
range) as most people run to much power then ride the brakes to maintain a
proper taxi speed.

Old February 29th 04, 06:58 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

"Big John" wrote in message

All single pilot IFR is exhausting. Most of my IFR was single pilot in

I'll drink to that! I flew a couple of years in a 402 for a commuter on
Cape Cod years ago. One day on a busy holiday weekend the fog was in (of
course) and I flew 22 approachs in one day, every one of them to or near
minimums. Slept the sleep of the just that night.

Piston poppers are definitely much more work especially with marginal power
envelopes during emergencies.

Old February 29th 04, 07:00 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"john smith" wrote in message
Mike Rapoport wrote:
Or its not true.
flying 50hrs/yr. If you look around you will see that almost nobody is
even asking $900/hr for charter work and presumably they intend to make

profit. It would be cheaper to charter a Citation than a KA90 if the

KA90
was $900hr.

NetJets charges $1200/hr for Citation SII's in its fleet. That's
fractional ownership.

And their margin is about 60%. That $1200 also includes two pilots when they
have additional margin. (?)

Old February 29th 04, 02:08 PM
Jay Honeck

When they took off over gross in the 150. Great story until that point.

Well, in retrospect it's hard to say if we were really over gross, or if
that's just how a 150 always performs. Never having flown one before, it's
difficult for me to say with any degree of assurance.

Ron was PIC, and I don't know how much fuel was on board. (He staked 'em,
but I didn't ask.)

I was just the "cheese" in the "Cessna sandwich" on that flight...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 29th 04, 03:52 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

You don't usually get to handle the controls with a stripper. :-(

Which "controls" are you referring to?

The tuning knobs, of course.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.