Catheter question

Old May 11th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Catheter question

Bert Willing wrote:

I use bio-degradable plastic bags.

Can you point me to a source? Thanks.

Stefan
Old May 11th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

I guess this is just a personal opinion, but I really despise the idea of
tossing any kind of bag full of pee out of a glider - regardless of whether
or not it is bio-degradable.

I don't imagine that the bag would make it to the ground full of pee, but if
it did it could be dangerous.

But my main concern is the littering. Here we are in a silent, elegant and
graceful sailplane, getting close to nature as sailors do, and we through
garbage out the window to mess up the beautiful world we see out our window?
That just doesn't make sense to me.

For those reasons I highly recommend using a condom catheter and collection
bag that you keep in the glider and dispose of upon landing. Or route the
tube out the bottom of the glider - no pee will reach the ground.

OK. I'm off my soapbox.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old May 11th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Several people have commented that successfully peeing into a bag from a
semi-prone position is at best difficult.
I have a suggestion that has worked well for me, including in one ship where
the owner believed that using a baggie was impossible.
Before getting airborne, take a one-gallon zip-lok bag and cut a round hole
halfway along one side, just below the zipper.
To use the bag, open the top, insert the appropriate part of your anatomy in
the hole, tuck the lower part of the bag down between your legs, lift the
free side of the bag up in the air so nothing goes over the top, then use
one hand to hold the side of the bag that has the hole snugly against your
crotch, relax and let go.
The thicker plastic of the zipper helps to support the free side of the bag
so that it doesn't collapse even though you are not supporting it (you do
need the other hand for the stick, after all).
Do glance down from time to time to keep track of the liquid level and don't
let the tide get too high. Once the bag has some liquid, its lower portion
can often be re-positioned to increase the available volume. On my ship,
pushing my knees outwards, towards the cockpit sidewalls, also helps.
The easiest way to cut the above mentioned hole is to make two folds in the
bag just below the zipper, the first fold parallel to the zipper, the second
at 90 degrees to it, then cut a quarter circle of appropriate radius with
scissors.
Obviously the system works best if the hole is a reasonably snug fit, but
this is easily customized.

For disposal, twist the bag below the hole to seal it, and launch it firmly
downwards from the side window so that it doesn't hang up anywhere on the
sailplane. A pee bag plastered against a wing leading edge is not only
un-aerodynamic but gives pilots of nearby sailplanes way too many
opportunities for gratuitous comments. Don't ask how I know.

I too like the idea of using bio-degradable bags.

Any USA sources / brand names?
..

Old May 12th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I agree with Paul. I use a catheter system that goes into a Camelback
liner that fits nicely into a slot I cut into my glider's seat pan. One
of the many tricks I learned from Dave Nelson.

Old May 12th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ray Roberts wrote:
Several people have commented that successfully peeing into a bag from a
semi-prone position is at best difficult.

I use the "travel John" available from Sporty's
(http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....product_id=300) and
other places. Less than $2 each. I make sure to take at least 3 per
flight as I have never (yet) needed more than that

The molded top makes a good funnel. I lift my butt just a little and
slide tha bag underneat and let go. Once done, the contents is gelled
and won't spill. I just shove it forward along my leg. Take a look at
the cover shot on the July 2003 Soaring mag
(http://ssa.org/test/Covers/Cover200307_large.jpg) for an example of
storage

-Tom

Old May 12th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Catheter question (off topic)

"5Z" escribió en el mensaje
ups.com...
Take a look at
the cover shot on the July 2003 Soaring mag
(http://ssa.org/test/Covers/Cover200307_large.jpg) for an example of
storage

Nice mountains, where was the picture taken?

Old May 15th 06, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In Switzerland: Coop and Migros, garden stuff ("Kompostierbeutel"). They
come in rolls of 10, 5 liters each. 5 liters is a lot, but I just don't
care.

Old May 15th 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well, I then hope that you don't use one of these gas wasting SUV's for your
ride to the airfield, but take your bike...

"Stefan" wrote in message
Bert Willing wrote:

I use bio-degradable plastic bags.

Can you point me to a source? Thanks.

Stefan

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM