Interested in renting a six seat single engine in NYC area

Old February 7th 05, 01:01 PM

Default Interested in renting a six seat single engine in NYC area

Hi - I am a 300+ hour private pilot who flies out of the MacDan rental
club at Essex County. I am looking to rent a six seat single engine
aircraft (Saratoga, etc) for occassional use so I can carry more
passengers. I have been flying for eight years out of TEB and now CDW.

Does anyone know of any FBOs or owners who might be interested in
renting this type of aircraft?

Thanks,
Ben Alimansky
(917) 435-1996

Old February 7th 05, 10:35 PM
Andrew Gideon

Gumby wrote:

wrote:
Hi - I am a 300+ hour private pilot who flies out of the MacDan rental
club at Essex County.

I won't hold that against ya. Those guys were scumbags 12-15 years ago.
Don't if they've changed hands or not but I used to avoid them like the
plague.

Hmm. I like MacDan, although I am aware of certain "issues" there. But my
experiences are a lot more recent, so perhaps they did change hands
between.

What I like is that they've new (or nearly new) 172SPs on the line. They're
well maintained, even to the point where the GPSs are kept current.

What I dislike is that they've nothing new and larger. They used to have a
182SP, for example, but no longer. They do have a Cardinal (I think, or
perhaps some other small retract Cessna) but it's pretty aged.

I am looking to rent a six seat single engine
aircraft (Saratoga, etc) for occassional use so I can carry more
passengers. I have been flying for eight years out of TEB and now
CDW.

Does anyone know of any FBOs or owners who might be interested in
renting this type of aircraft?

Most decent FBO's have 6 seaters for rent. How about Caldwell Air Service,
are they still there? (guy named Neil?)

Larry is the owner of CAS. I know they've a small twin there (its make
escapes me at the moment), but I don't think they've a six-seater.

You might also check with Lincoln Park Aviation. They too tend to carry
nice aircraft, although I don't know that they've a six-seater off hand.

If HPN isn't too far for you, check out the Westchester Flying Club there.
I'm pretty sure they've one or two Bonanzas on the line there, and what
I've read about them makes it seem like a good club.

- Andrew

Old February 8th 05, 03:55 AM
BTIZ

you may not find what you are looking for from an FBO..
Most that I have run into require at least 500hrs total time, 25 hours PIC
in make and model and an Instrument rating to fly a six seat rental
aircraft... the insurance company beats them up for anything over 4 seats...
Out local FBO had a nice Lance on the line, and that was the requirement,
same when they replaced the Lance with a V35B Bonanza... then they took the
3rd seat out of the back to make it a 4 place and the insurance company
relaxed the premium just a bit, plus it opened it up to more renters..

good luck..

BT

oups.com...

Old February 8th 05, 12:28 PM
Tom Fleischman

In article ne.com,
Andrew Gideon wrote:

snip

If HPN isn't too far for you, check out the Westchester Flying Club there.
I'm pretty sure they've one or two Bonanzas on the line there, and what
I've read about them makes it seem like a good club.

Westchester Flying Club owns 2 Beechcrafts, a 1963 Debonair (IO-520,
160kt cruise) and a 1967 S35 Bonanza (IO-550, 174 kt cruise). Only
members with 350 hours and an instrument rating are allowed to check
out in them, but they are both SWEET! I flew the Bo' and one of the
other members flew the Debbie to OSH last July.

In addition the club currently owns 2 Arrows (a 180 HP and a 200HP),
and 3 Archer II's.

For more information visit:

http://www.wfc-hpn.org

Hope this helps...
Old February 8th 05, 12:45 PM
Peter R.

Tom Fleischman wrote:

Westchester Flying Club owns 2 Beechcrafts, a 1963 Debonair (IO-520,
160kt cruise) and a 1967 S35 Bonanza (IO-550, 174 kt cruise). Only
members with 350 hours and an instrument rating are allowed to check
out in them, but they are both SWEET! I flew the Bo' and one of the
other members flew the Debbie to OSH last July.

Wow, I just took a look at the pictures on the website and those two
aircraft look to be in great shape with excellent panels.

What do they cost to rent per hour?

--
Peter

Old February 10th 05, 02:56 AM
Tom Fleischman

In article , Peter R.
wrote:

Tom Fleischman wrote:

Westchester Flying Club owns 2 Beechcrafts, a 1963 Debonair (IO-520,
160kt cruise) and a 1967 S35 Bonanza (IO-550, 174 kt cruise). Only
members with 350 hours and an instrument rating are allowed to check
out in them, but they are both SWEET! I flew the Bo' and one of the
other members flew the Debbie to OSH last July.

Wow, I just took a look at the pictures on the website and those two
aircraft look to be in great shape with excellent panels.

What do they cost to rent per hour?

The new 2005 hourly rates are $116 for the S35 and $106 for the
Debonair. The hourly rates are wet, of course, and are calculated on
tach time. Monthly dues are $135.

Both airplanes are equipped with Century 2000 autopilots with ALT hold
and are coupled with Garmin 480's (CNX-80's).

Very sweet airplanes.
Old February 10th 05, 03:26 AM
Peter R.

Tom Fleischman wrote:

The new 2005 hourly rates are $116 for the S35 and $106 for the
Debonair. The hourly rates are wet, of course, and are calculated on
tach time. Monthly dues are $135.

Both airplanes are equipped with Century 2000 autopilots with ALT hold
and are coupled with Garmin 480's (CNX-80's).

Very sweet airplanes.

$116 for the S35? That's a steal! I would have expected around the
$150/hr range. Pilots flying those aircraft must have all kinds of
recurring training requirements to appease your insurance company.

--
Peter

Old February 10th 05, 12:28 PM
Tom Fleischman

In article , Peter R.
wrote:

Tom Fleischman wrote:

The new 2005 hourly rates are $116 for the S35 and $106 for the
Debonair. The hourly rates are wet, of course, and are calculated on
tach time. Monthly dues are $135.

Both airplanes are equipped with Century 2000 autopilots with ALT hold
and are coupled with Garmin 480's (CNX-80's).

Very sweet airplanes.

$116 for the S35? That's a steal! I would have expected around the
$150/hr range. Pilots flying those aircraft must have all kinds of
recurring training requirements to appease your insurance company.

Not really. The only thing that the insurance company requires is 350
hours and an instrument rating. In addition, the Club requires 2 hrs
flight time within the previous 90 days to stay current in the Beeches.
If that lapses the member must take a checkout flight and get an
endorsement from one of the club-approved instructors. For a member who
wants to transition into the Beeches there is a Club requirement for a
minimum of 10hrs dual, at least 5 in each aircraft. They do fly a bit
differently. I would think that the insurance company has accepted the
Club requirements for transition and currency and added those other two
stipulations.