The biggest safety investment in GA is...

Old July 7th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Default The biggest safety investment in GA is...

Matt Barrow wrote:

Good points IF you only fly in that region, and IF you only fly during the
summer or winter.

Which I do. Actually, I fly pretty much all over the Western states (west
of the Rockies) and I do it year round.

The mid-west weather is very different during each of the four seasons.

If I lived and flew in the midwest a lot (or any coastal area for that
matter) I'd have obtained the rating 20 years ago.

Going from southwest to mid-west can get rather, shall we say, interesting?

I've done it quite often in the spring and summer. The midwest weather
that has kept me on the ground also kept the IR pilots of light aircraft on
the ground.

Not to mention when you HAVE to go, rather than when it'd just be "nice" to
go.

Unless you're flying a high-end, known-ice, radar equipped bird, that
statement is a bit disturbing. If you HAVE to go somewhere, I'd suggest a
commercial airline. Their equipment and training is better suited for it.
The average light single is far from an all weather aircraft, especially
during winter when icing is more prevalent.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old July 7th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 18:20:28 -0500, Dan Luke wrote:

Nah; not if you're always going different places.

I think I'd miss playing at my crosswind envelope, or trying to get those
lazy 8s actually 8-like, or practicing a spiral descent and then spiraling
up for another try, or ...

- Andrew

Old July 7th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:34:48 -0700, Matt Barrow wrote:

Notice the numbers and notes for "Business Aviation". Mostly IR'ed, but
they fly a LOT.

The problem with this comparison is that there are a lot of variables.
There's the number of hours flown, the IR, the commercial cert, possibly
an ATP, the support staff, and probably other differences of which I'm
unaware. Any one of these would, I expect, help. Which helps more? I
don't see how we can determine that via this comparison.

Of course, the solution then is to do as many of these as possible. IR.
Commercial. Lots and lots of flying.

Like we need an excuse, right grin?

- Andrew

There is also a question regarding how much of the personal flying is
actually logged or reported. There is, to the best of my knowledge, no
requirement and little incentive to log much more than is required to prove
currency. Therefore, if it turned out that there was twice as much actual
flying as reported flying, then the statistic would not seem nearly as bad.

Peter

Old July 7th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:05:20 -0400, B A R R Y
wrote:

The insurance companies also crunch numbers and analyze stats, so I
think that says a lot.

Exactly my point.
--ron
Old July 7th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:07:46 -0700, Matt Barrow wrote:

The best flight sim, I would venture to say, is between your ears.

I'm experiencing a memory leak and my application just crashed.

- Andrew

Did you do a "Mind Meld" with Bill Gates?
--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Old July 7th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:34:48 -0700, Matt Barrow wrote:

Notice the numbers and notes for "Business Aviation". Mostly IR'ed, but
they fly a LOT.

The problem with this comparison is that there are a lot of variables.

Indeed there are...and those variables are what sets each group apart.
Hopefully, one can grasp what those variables are and how they effect the
stats.

There's the number of hours flown, the IR, the commercial cert, possibly
an ATP, the support staff, and probably other differences of which I'm
unaware. Any one of these would, I expect, help. Which helps more? I
don't see how we can determine that via this comparison.

Yes.

Now compare GA with Business Av. - those are the two closest in terms of
equipage, etc.

Of course, the solution then is to do as many of these as possible. IR.
Commercial. Lots and lots of flying.

Very few BA types (owner flown) have Comm tickets.

Like we need an excuse, right grin?

Like we need a hole in the head! :~(

Old July 7th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
Matt, even in our fairly well outfitted single engine airplane,
there's no such thing as "have to" go.

If I miss a trip, it could mean $100k.

Maybe 1 trip in 20 in the
southeast turns into aborted trips, and this is with a guy who loves
flying IMC to minimums. He even taught me to like it!

My numbers are similar, but 1 in 20, for my business, means about $325k per
year.

That pays for a lot of flying.

Old July 7th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:

Good points IF you only fly in that region, and IF you only fly during the
summer or winter.

Which I do. Actually, I fly pretty much all over the Western states
(west
of the Rockies) and I do it year round.

The mid-west weather is very different during each of the four seasons.

If I lived and flew in the midwest a lot (or any coastal area for that
matter) I'd have obtained the rating 20 years ago.

My territory reaches from central Montana on the NW corner, to Souix Falls
on the NE corner, to Arizona and Louisiana on the SE corner.

Going from southwest to mid-west can get rather, shall we say,
interesting?

I've done it quite often in the spring and summer. The midwest weather
that has kept me on the ground also kept the IR pilots of light aircraft
on
the ground.

Not to mention when you HAVE to go, rather than when it'd just be "nice"
go.

Unless you're flying a high-end, known-ice, radar equipped bird, that
statement is a bit disturbing. If you HAVE to go somewhere, I'd suggest
commercial airline. Their equipment and training is better suited for it.
The average light single is far from an all weather aircraft, especially
during winter when icing is more prevalent.

Hmmm...in the nine years I've been operating, I've cancelled twelve trips,
tops.
Now, winter is our "off season", but conditions the rest of the time can be
waited out or circumnavigated.

And as the real estate market contracts, that means we have to extend our
"reach" even more, so we're looking for something turbine in the near future
to go with our latest, fully tricked out machine (that Newps said was a
"bloated pig").

Try airlines from Cheyenne to Garden City Kansas! "~(
--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Old July 7th 07, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Dan Luke wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

People who live in the SW, Florida, and areas of California for
example can fly hundredes of miles without ever seeing a cloud almost
any day of the year.

Eh?

Is there another Florida besides the one I fly in? The one down at the SE
corner of the country, I mean.

Yeah, where is that in Florida? I think one time I flew down to Naples
in clear weather. The rest of the time we are dodging buildups all over
the place.

The Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) Safety Seminars Hit The Road in the USA [email protected] Soaring 0 September 11th 06 03:48 AM
" BIG BUCKS" WITH ONLY A $6.00 INVESTMENT "NO BULL"!!!! [email protected] Piloting 3 March 17th 05 01:23 PM
ARROW INVESTMENT MARK Owning 9 March 18th 04 08:10 PM
aviation investment. Walter Taylor Owning 4 January 18th 04 09:37 PM
Best Oshkosh Investment EDR Piloting 3 November 4th 03 10:24 PM