Riding vs Flying -- How many here ride?

Old July 2nd 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BucFan

Default Riding vs Flying -- How many here ride?

snip
It used to be that most pilots I knew rode motorcycles, but that seems
to be less of a correlation lately. Wot say the group -- do you
currently ride a motorcycle? Did you in the past?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

I am a near pilot, working on the checkride. Have never owned a motorcycle,
but have ridden off-road and street bikes many times.

I was going to buy my first bike this summer, a Yamaha FZ6, but the
insurance cost kept me from making the purchase. I am in the processes of
looking at different bikes and trying to decide if I still want to buy a
bike, or use the money to buy a boat...

John

Old July 2nd 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

It used to be that most pilots I knew rode motorcycles, but that seems
to be less of a correlation lately. Wot say the group -- do you
currently ride a motorcycle? Did you in the past?

Nope. In this house the boys have known since day one that any road
vehicle they are interested has a four wheel minimum. Motorcycle?
Don't even ask. Same goes for tattoos and earrings.
Old July 2nd 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_1_]

"Newps" wrote

Nope. In this house the boys have known since day one that any road
vehicle they are interested has a four wheel minimum. Motorcycle? Don't
even ask. Same goes for tattoos and earrings.

You may someday learn that parenting sometimes has to pick and choose which
battles to fight. One of those may not be worth fighting, someday.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 2nd 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert A. Barker

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Having just returned from a 3-day motorcycle camping trip, the riding
experience is once again fresh in my mind. (Alas, I don't get to ride
much nowadays; but there was a time when Mary and I rode
coast-to-coast...)

I started riding dirt bikes at 55 years young and owned three.
the last was a Yamaha 175. I rode for 10 years and decided I
would quit while I was ahead.Always wanted a Harley road
bike but having been run into by hairbrain drivers twice I decided
against it.I'll stick with my Cessna.

Bob Barker N8749S

Old July 3rd 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message news:TKUpg.141

Baloney. It is simply a good idea that hasn't yet come to fruition in

Yup. Keep telling yourself that.

Old July 3rd 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message news:wBWpg.143

I agree, but the issue is that the rule is stupid and should be changed.

And you have some inherent right to arbitrarily disregard rules you consider
stupid? Work to get the rule changed. Until such time, abide by the rules.

Old July 3rd 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Morgans wrote:
"Newps" wrote

Nope. In this house the boys have known since day one that any road
vehicle they are interested has a four wheel minimum. Motorcycle? Don't
even ask. Same goes for tattoos and earrings.

You may someday learn that parenting sometimes has to pick and choose which
battles to fight. One of those may not be worth fighting, someday.

I'm well aware of that and make those decisions daily, like any parent.
But these are absolutes.
Old July 3rd 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_1_]

"Newps" wrote

I'm well aware of that and make those decisions daily, like any parent.
But these are absolutes.

One day, they will be out from under your control. If you forbid them, they
may very likely go out and do what you forbade.

That is what I did, regarding the bike issue.

Now, 25 years later, they think I still came out OK. g

Really, I encourage you to examine what you forbid, and why. Giving them
good values, and letting them make their own decisions at an appropriate
age, is in my opinion, a far better course to take.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 3rd 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Absolutely, 100% agree. Motorcyclists with straight pipes are no
better than truckers who use their "jake brakes" around town -- they're
inconsiderate morons.

Personally, I would support the death penalty for both offenses -- but
I seem to be in the minority.

This complaint sounds vaguely familiar.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 3rd 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"John Gaquin" wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message news:wBWpg.143

I agree, but the issue is that the rule is stupid and should be changed.

And you have some inherent right to arbitrarily disregard rules you consider
stupid? Work to get the rule changed. Until such time, abide by the rules.

otoh - he isn't disregarding a rule because he thinks he is more important
than me. His stated reason is that he believes he is safer. Let's not
lose sight of the fact that four wheel drivers are a major risk for
motorcycle riders.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the