US source for Aerolite?

Old August 29th 03, 06:09 PM
Corrie

Default US source for Aerolite?

Is there a US supplier for the two-part adhesive system Aerolite? So
far it only seems to be available in the UK, exported only in large
quantities. Any place to get a small quantity (eqiv of a pint) to
experiment with?

Corrie
Old September 2nd 03, 03:23 PM
Model Flyer

"Corrie" wrote in message
om...
Is there a US supplier for the two-part adhesive system Aerolite?

So
far it only seems to be available in the UK, exported only in large
quantities. Any place to get a small quantity (eqiv of a pint) to
experiment with?

You say experiment with, this suggests that you don't know anything
about it. Aerolite uses Formic Acid as it's hardner, you want to be
very careful when using it as it can give you a very nasty burn,
takes months to heal.
--

..
--

Antispam trap in place

Corrie

Old September 4th 03, 08:16 PM
Ed Sullivan

(Corrie) wrote in message om...
"Model Flyer" wrote in message ...
"Corrie" wrote in message
om...
Is there a US supplier for the two-part adhesive system Aerolite?
far it only seems to be available in the UK, exported only in large
quantities. Any place to get a small quantity (eqiv of a pint) to
experiment with?

You say experiment with, this suggests that you don't know anything
about it. Aerolite uses Formic Acid as it's hardner, you want to be
very careful when using it as it can give you a very nasty burn,
takes months to heal.
Cheers,
Jonathan Lowe

Sounds like the voice of experience! Thanks for the warning. Formic
acid, eh? That's what ants use to mark their trails. Does the stuff
attract ants? :-^

All I know about it is what I've read, mostly in the Evans VP
documentation and groups. The notion of a two-part system that you
don't pre-mix is interesting. I'd like to try it out on a few test
pieces to see if it's easier to work with than an epoxy system.

At one time Aircraft Spruce carried it, however they no longer list
it.
I used it on the basic wing structure on my Jungster II which is 18
years old with no problems. I did however use T-88 for skinning the
wings and for all the subsequent structure. My only criticism is that
the ooze out at the joints seemed brittle, although the actual joints
were sound. One warning, it is easy to forget to put the acid on the
other half of the joint since it is colorless in which case your joint
is about as strong as library paste. Some builders (I later found out)
put food coloring in the acid so you would notice if you didn't apply
it.
You might check with one of the Canadian suppliers such as Western
Aircraft Supply or Sylvia Littner( her address is in the classified in
Sport aviation under wooden designs). Also Falconer sells a lot of
wood kits. It is usually sold in a gallon of dry powder and a pint of
the acid. It was manufactured by CIBA Geigy of Switzerland.

Good Luck, Ed Sullivan
Old September 4th 03, 11:06 PM
Model Flyer

"Corrie" wrote in message
m...
"Model Flyer" wrote in message

"Corrie" wrote in message
om...
Is there a US supplier for the two-part adhesive system

Aerolite?

Sounds like the voice of experience! Thanks for the warning.

Formic
acid, eh?

My Uncle, used Aerolite for some years, he was a Cabinet Maker. It is
he who burnt his arm with the activator. He just leaned on the part
he had coated and was burnt from his hand to his elbow, it was very
red and blistered.

My experience with Aerolite is with a model boat I built many years
ago, well I started it when I was 14, never finished it, I'm now 54.
However in all that time, in dry weather and sometimes damp
conditions the glued joint's have never let go. Aerolite 306 comes as
a dry powder that you mix with water to a smooth paste. The handy
thing is you can apply the glue to all the joints - one side only -
then coat the other side with the acid and clamp together. My
brother-inlaw made a mount for an outboard motor on his sail boat, we
were using it three hours later.

I think it develops full strength 24 hours later. I would use it as I
can mix enough glue for several weeks work at once. However I would
only buy enough for used in a couple of years as once opened the
powder absorbes moisture from the air and sets hard.:-(
--

..