How are joysticks 'powered' in gliders?

Old February 25th 05, 02:54 PM

Default How are joysticks 'powered' in gliders?

I note that some gliders are controlle with a joystick which
makes me curious as to how the control surfaces are powered.

Assuming these are useable by people who lack the forearms of
a truck driver, how are they powered?

Do these systems use electric servos with a battery recharged
on the ground? Do they use vaccumm assist from a venturi?

Just asking?

--

FF

Old February 25th 05, 03:28 PM
Bill Daniels

wrote in message
oups.com...

I note that some gliders are controlle with a joystick which
makes me curious as to how the control surfaces are powered.

Assuming these are useable by people who lack the forearms of
a truck driver, how are they powered?

Do these systems use electric servos with a battery recharged
on the ground? Do they use vaccumm assist from a venturi?

Just asking?

--

FF

You really need to visit the nearest gliderport and take a ride. Assuming
you are in the USA, check www.ssa.org and click the button "Where to fly" to
find the nearest location.

One of the great beauties of gliders is their simplicity. Usually, the only
"power" in the glider is a small battery to power the radio and a few
instruments. Everything else is powered by the pilot.

The control forces in modern gliders are small enough that pilots can fly
with their finger tips most of the time. If you see a glider pilot with
"truck driver forearms", it's from assembling the glider, not flying it.

Bill Daniels

Old February 27th 05, 06:49 PM

Bill Daniels wrote:

You really need to visit the nearest gliderport and take a ride.

Assuming
you are in the USA, check www.ssa.org and click the button "Where to

fly" to
find the nearest location.

Uh, I think you're right. I belong to a local flying club, one of
our members is a gliding enthusiast who flys out of another club
in Pensylvania. I suspect I could go with her up there pretty much
any weekend.

--

FF

Old February 27th 05, 08:20 PM
Mark James Boyd

In one of Dennis Wright's editorials he wrote about several
ideas to help promote soaring. On the list were some things already
being done (CAP, EAA young eagles getting a new name, etc.)

One thing in the list I found very interesting, however,
was the idea of SSA membership and club "co-membership." So
if you were an SSA member, or maybe if you were a club
member somewhere, you would be accepted into other club
without paying an entry fee, etc.

I discussed this with some clubs and commercial operators,
and they weren't too keen on the no application fee and no dues
idea.

BUT, we came up with the idea that an SSA member could
walk into any club or commercial operator, and any application fees or
doubling of charges, etc, would be waived for one day a year.

Call it the "member for a day" program. Kind of like "king
for a day." Bring your Soaring magazine confirming you are
an SSA member. Walk in to any club and show it, and
you'll be treated like a member that day. No initiation fees,
etc. Go fly with an instructor, or another club pilot.

Details of wanting to fly one's own glider there using the club
for tows, or details of wanting to fly club equipment solo, would
be arranged seperately.

I think this would realy help the walk-in stuff. No mystery,
no hidden charges, no having to "investigate" what is offered.
Show up at the door and get treated like a part of the club.
Welcome!

I also think this might cross-pollenate more for current glider pilots.
Haven't you always wanted to go fly just one day maybe at some
gliderport you know nothing about? A little intimidated
about having to face fees and applications? Wouldn't it be nice
to know you can be treated like a member for a day?

I'm sure there are plenty of clubs already doing this, but
I'd love to see this as a blanket "Welcome!" assurance
from SSA. Country clubs and sailing clubs often honor
memberships at other clubs for short-term visitors.
Just climb aboard the boat and we'll go sail together, and
you gotta pay for your steak at the end like all the other members.

If it's just once a year, I can't see this idea cutting into
dues or initiation fees much.

Anyway, what do you all think? Wouldn't it be fun to
walk in to any club with your Soaring magazine and say
"I'd like to be a member for a day?"

In article . com,
wrote:

Bill Daniels wrote:

You really need to visit the nearest gliderport and take a ride.

Assuming
you are in the USA, check www.ssa.org and click the button "Where to

fly" to
find the nearest location.

Uh, I think you're right. I belong to a local flying club, one of
our members is a gliding enthusiast who flys out of another club
in Pensylvania. I suspect I could go with her up there pretty much
any weekend.

--

FF

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old February 28th 05, 03:23 AM
BTIZ

Mark... I'll bite..

1) why bring the SSA Mag... bring your SSA Card.. easier to carry
2) Some "clubs" are SSA Charter Clubs, and all members, visiting members
must be SSA Members to be covered under the SSA Group insurance.
3) Club Charters or By-laws may need to be changed to reflect a membership
category for what you propose to meet the Group Insurance requirements. Our
bylaws already recognize other SSA Members as visiting members, but they
still pay the "visiting member fee".

Come on, for SSA Visitors it's only $10 per day for the first 3 days.. and
then you are good to go for a month. Same thing we charge our own
membership. And for $25 you get a 2K tow in your glider, or check out and
rent the clubs 2-33 / 1-26.

We don't have a $1000 "join up fee". Those high fees can keep new
(non-pilots) from joining and taking lessons, and it's the students that
keep the club solvent.

BT

Old February 28th 05, 07:44 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article I8wUd.27783$Tt.10445@fed1read05,
BTIZ wrote:
Mark... I'll bite..

1) why bring the SSA Mag... bring your SSA Card.. easier to carry

Yes. Either one should be accepted. I mention the magazine just
because I know where it is in my house, but I probably couldn't
find my SSA card

2) Some "clubs" are SSA Charter Clubs, and all members, visiting members
must be SSA Members to be covered under the SSA Group insurance.

Yes, this is common already. So that's nice, the insurance issue
is probably ok.

3) Club Charters or By-laws may need to be changed to reflect a membership
category for what you propose to meet the Group Insurance requirements. Our
bylaws already recognize other SSA Members as visiting members, but they
still pay the "visiting member fee".

I'm advocating waiving this fee for a visitor once each year.

Come on, for SSA Visitors it's only $10 per day for the first 3 days..

You know that, and now I know that. Guess how many potential
visitors don't know that? One of the reasons the $50 "Be a pilot"
program works (sort of) is because everybody knows the price, without
doing a lot of sophisticated investigating.

and
then you are good to go for a month. Same thing we charge our own
membership. And for $25 you get a 2K tow in your glider, or check out and
rent the clubs 2-33 / 1-26.

This is great. So you waive the "visiting member fee" for one day and
after the new guy has made it in the door and has had a nice day you can
explain all of this to him.

We don't have a $1000 "join up fee". Those high fees can keep new
(non-pilots) from joining and taking lessons, and it's the students that
keep the club solvent.

I think it goes beyond high fees. I recall a nearby
commercial operator website that had conflicting visitor "membership fees"
for daily, monthly and yearly membership. I called but got
a confusing response. If I had known for sure it was $0 for the
first day I walked in the door, I would have flown there. Instead
I didn't visit for 3 years. It wasn't the price, it was the uncertainty
and the amount of effort I needed to investigate stuff that
turned me off.

Offer a $0 "member for a day" opportunity, across the board, at all
SSA participating FBOs and clubs. Yeah, maybe the idea is
mostly psychological, but isn't that important? Ease the minds of
potential customers? Get 'em in the door once? Isn't that the very
hardest part of learning to fly, one's first step into an FBO or
club and not knowing what to expect?

If AOPA can do it with the "Be a Pilot" $50 thing, we should be able to
echo this. Heck, offer both, a "member for a day" idea, AND
a $50 intro flight. List the participating clubs/FBOs on the SSA
site, and stick it in the magazine. Because January seems to be
a great month for pilot starts, maybe dedicate the whole Jan issue
to "member for a day" and "be a pilot" and "newbies." Makes
a great Christmas stocking stuffer! A Soaring subscription and
a gift certificate, what could be better?

Old February 28th 05, 06:42 PM
F.L. Whiteley

In one of Dennis Wright's editorials he wrote about several
ideas to help promote soaring. On the list were some things already
being done (CAP, EAA young eagles getting a new name, etc.)

One thing in the list I found very interesting, however,
was the idea of SSA membership and club "co-membership." So
if you were an SSA member, or maybe if you were a club
member somewhere, you would be accepted into other club
without paying an entry fee, etc.

I discussed this with some clubs and commercial operators,
and they weren't too keen on the no application fee and no dues
idea.

Let's not include the commercial operators in this, since you are mixing
apples and oranges, to extent. Clubs are by definition quite different and
have to operate under different constraints WRT FAA, SSA, IRS and insurance.

BUT, we came up with the idea that an SSA member could
walk into any club or commercial operator, and any application fees or
doubling of charges, etc, would be waived for one day a year.

Clubs generally have limited instructor staff and glider assets. Walking on
is fine if there's no real expection other than an expression of your
interest, but gaining access to gliders or the already overworked volunteer
instructor could be tenuous unless you were willing to wait around until 5pm
or so. You might get to fly with another member, though I would be loath to
send an unknown instructor off with a relatively low time member.

Call it the "member for a day" program. Kind of like "king
for a day." Bring your Soaring magazine confirming you are
an SSA member. Walk in to any club and show it, and
you'll be treated like a member that day. No initiation fees,
etc. Go fly with an instructor, or another club pilot.

Put your SSA membership card in your wallet, next to your pilot's license
(and photo ID). Bring your logbook also. The problem is that at many clubs,
you might get treated like the problem of the day unless you've arranged
ahead of time for a visit. That may give the wrong impression entirely.

Details of wanting to fly one's own glider there using the club
for tows, or details of wanting to fly club equipment solo, would
be arranged seperately.

We allow visiting pilots with their own gliders 6 tows per year with a
$5/surcharge. After that, the rates go up. It's restricted since pilots
have previously abused this, being inactive members of other local clubs and
using our facilities regularly at less cost than members. They fly at the
pleasure of the members. Poor airmanship will end these privileges, but so
will abuse.

I think this would realy help the walk-in stuff. No mystery,
no hidden charges, no having to "investigate" what is offered.
Show up at the door and get treated like a part of the club.
Welcome!

See above. The SSA club survery would seem to indicate that many clubs
cannot meet this expectation due to lack of fleet and instructors. Our club
does carry glider and tow for hire insurance, but we still have to schedule
ahead for scenic flights and mini-courses. Walk on traffic seldom can fly
on a given day. The gliders are there for the membership and are generally
in full use. It is an unreasonable expectation to walk on and fly at most
clubs. Even our members have no expectation of this, but can check the
schedule online or by phone for the most current information.

I also think this might cross-pollenate more for current glider pilots.
Haven't you always wanted to go fly just one day maybe at some
gliderport you know nothing about? A little intimidated
about having to face fees and applications? Wouldn't it be nice
to know you can be treated like a member for a day?

Fees are the least of the problem actually. Most clubs by-laws are a blend
of the constraints mentioned above. However, we'd be glad to put you on the
mower or hand you a paint brush, so you can really get the 'feel' for club
membership;^)

I'm sure there are plenty of clubs already doing this, but
I'd love to see this as a blanket "Welcome!" assurance
from SSA. Country clubs and sailing clubs often honor
memberships at other clubs for short-term visitors.
Just climb aboard the boat and we'll go sail together, and
you gotta pay for your steak at the end like all the other members.

Actually, you probably pay on another member's account in these cases,
though you may not realize it. There are IRS gross receipts limitations if
you are incorporated as a 501c(7) entity. That's gross receipts, not income
after expenses, and the distinction is important. You attend most golf and
country clubs as a 'guest' of a member, not as a walk-on. Indeed, you can't
play or eat without an invitation. Your charges go on their account for
this very reason.

If it's just once a year, I can't see this idea cutting into
dues or initiation fees much.

Assuming you are willing to assume the member responsibilities also. Some
clubs have $1000 to $3000 deductibles. Generally renter insurance does not
apply to members, even as member of the day. Unless the club carries glider
for hire insurance, you can't rent.

Anyway, what do you all think? Wouldn't it be fun to
walk in to any club with your Soaring magazine and say
"I'd like to be a member for a day?"

There may be some clubs with active reciprocal memberships and daily
memberships. However, if the idea is for clubs to gain new members from the
exiting SSA population that are not club members, giving a good first
impression would be much easier with some advanced warning. With that
courtesy, most clubs are probably quite welcoming. How many clubs have you
actually visited? What makes you think there are hidden costs? I think it
may be easier to think of most clubs as a picnic rather than a buffet. As
such, it's a pot-luck endeavor. What do you bring to the table? If it's
your interest, then call ahead and get an invite. It's simple common
courtesy and will demystifye the process.

Doug Easton, SSA director-at-large, is in the midst of updating the Where To
Fly website info and adding some tools. Many of the links, contact e-mails,
phone numbers, etc, were broken. This is a large task and will take him
some more time to complete. It will get rid of the deadwood too. This will
make clubs and FBOs easier to find and contact.

Frank Whiteley

Old February 28th 05, 07:38 PM
Chris Reed

My single experience as a UK pilot visiting the States backs up Frank's
point.

F.L. Whiteley wrote:
... giving a good first
impression would be much easier with some advanced warning. With that
courtesy, most clubs are probably quite welcoming. How many clubs have you
actually visited? What makes you think there are hidden costs? I think it
may be easier to think of most clubs as a picnic rather than a buffet. As
such, it's a pot-luck endeavor. What do you bring to the table? If it's
your interest, then call ahead and get an invite. It's simple common
courtesy and will demystifye the process.

I was about on a few weeks post-solo when I visited Houston on business
and, obviously, had to fly if I could. I emailed the Soaring Club of
Houston explaining that I had all Sunday free and would love to spend
the day at the club.

Result: As the CFI of the day would be driving nearly past my hotel, he
and his wife picked me up and drove me to the airfield. The UK tradition
is that if you're a member you have to help with operations, so I
retrieved gliders and hooked up cables, as well as standing in the shade
talking with club members. I'd remembered my logbook, so my experience
could be checked out, and as gliders became available I was given three
dual flights (I've no idea if I could have flown solo as a temporary
student pilot, though I did fancy the I-26 as I'd just qualified for my
home club's K8, but it wouldn't have been sensible to let such a new
pilot loose on a new site in previously unexperienced conditions) in
types I hadn't flown before. Essentially, for the day I became part of
the SCH "family" - thanks Barry et al, I had a great time. It's a real
shame that since 9/11 I can't do this again.

If other US clubs are like this (and the US pilots I've spoken to in the
UK suggest they might be) then go visit, Mark. Glider pilots seem to
make up an extended world-wide family (which explains the sniping
arguments on r.a.s.) and welcome distant relations for a visit. But let
them know you're coming - if you're busy doing something else, even the
most beloved aunt can make your heart sink if she turns up without
warning ....
Old March 2nd 05, 03:30 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
F.L. Whiteley wrote:

Let's not include the commercial operators in this, since you are mixing
apples and oranges, to extent.

Yes, agreed.

You might get to fly with another member, though I would be loath to
send an unknown instructor off with a relatively low time member.

Oh man, I've done this and had some of the best laughs of my
life. I tried really hard one time to hold back but we hit so
hard on landing I just couldn't help it. I've stopped telling
anyone I'm an instructor. They get all WEIRD and nervous on ya...
Maybe it's the whoopie cushion and the floopy shoes...

Put your SSA membership card in your wallet, next to your pilot's license
(and photo ID). Bring your logbook also. The problem is that at many clubs,
you might get treated like the problem of the day unless you've arranged
ahead of time for a visit. That may give the wrong impression entirely.

"Problem of the Day." Oh man, LMAO. I'm having a hard time breathing
here. I dunno about this wallet idea tho. If I put in every card I
own, it'd bust open. Good thing there's no money in it.

It is an unreasonable expectation to walk on and fly at most
clubs.

Hey hey now, I never said they should expect to be treated
BETTER than a member. If members are treated to a work party
walkin in the door, then give visiting members that too!
The "be a pilot" idea for $50 gets you a takeoff and immediate landing
at expensive airplane FBOs, and an hour flight at others.
Likewise, my "member for a day"
idea gets flowers and a free burger at some places, and
a dirty, paint stained shirt and a broom (inscribed
"member for a day") at other gliderports
(gotta stop laughing at my own jokes long enough to type here).

Even our members have no expectation of this, but can check the
schedule online or by phone for the most current information.

I still don't know why clubs keep their schedules "secret"
with all kinda passwords and stuff. Put out a guest password that
can modify, but can only looksie. Schedulemaster and flightschedulepro
allow this. What the heck is the big freekin' secret? be proud of your
schedule!

Fees are the least of the problem actually. Most clubs by-laws are a blend
of the constraints mentioned above. However, we'd be glad to put you on the
mower or hand you a paint brush, so you can really get the 'feel' for club
membership;^)

ROFLMAO! Ya know what, for me personally, this would be something I would
actually love. Commin' out to put markings on the runway, wax a glider,
dust the clubhouse, flip the burgers, etc. On a recent visit to
a club I was hangin out MIGHTY close to the BBQ. I think they
thought I was there 'cause I was hungry. NOT SO. I wanted to
get some spatula time in my logbook. Good thing they didn't
let me. They call me "the torch" in some circles....

You attend most golf and
country clubs as a 'guest' of a member, not as a walk-on. Indeed, you can't
play or eat without an invitation. Your charges go on their account for
this very reason.

Hmmm...this idea is morphing into a "member buddy" idea. Lemme
roll that one around in the noggin.

Assuming you are willing to assume the member responsibilities also. Some
clubs have $1000 to $3000 deductibles. Generally renter insurance does not
apply to members, even as member of the day. Unless the club carries glider
for hire insurance, you can't rent.

There may be some clubs with active reciprocal memberships and daily
memberships. However, if the idea is for clubs to gain new members from the
exiting SSA population that are not club members, giving a good first
impression would be much easier with some advanced warning. With that
courtesy, most clubs are probably quite welcoming.

This isn't so much about bad greetings by clubs, which I've really
never gotten. It's about the percieved "I dunno, what's it like over
there" that I hear from a lot of SSA members who don't bonk around
to other clubs much. I just want to see a BUNCH more "invitations" to
cross-swap, and this was one (maybe kinda lame) idea.

How many clubs have you
actually visited?

Maybe a dozen. Mixed bag indeed. I have had the absolute best time
just hangar flying tho. I dunno if it's just me, but I'm pretty much
bored with flying alone, and half the time I'd prefer to just sit there,
eat a tasty burger, and tell lies anyway. As an instructor, if
I tried to go flying WITHOUT a passenger I'd get a darned dirty look anyway,
so I have to sneak in on weekdays anyway...

What makes you think there are hidden costs?

Because I didn't see a big board with all the prices and the
option to "supersize" it :P C'mon, at every club I've been to in my life,
the very WORST and LEAST accessible amount of info is the prices.
Ask most of the guys in your own club how much an aero retrieve costs
:PPPP Hahaha...

I think it
may be easier to think of most clubs as a picnic rather than a buffet. As
such, it's a pot-luck endeavor. What do you bring to the table? If it's
your interest, then call ahead and get an invite. It's simple common
courtesy and will demystifye the process.

I'm tellin' ya, man, you are definitely on the money. Even with a
prior phone call, it IS a pot-luck.

Doug Easton, SSA director-at-large, is in the midst of updating the Where To
Fly website info and adding some tools. Many of the links, contact e-mails,
phone numbers, etc, were broken. This is a large task and will take him
some more time to complete. It will get rid of the deadwood too. This will
make clubs and FBOs easier to find and contact.

Yes. Important stuff. Oh, and at least one club I know
of needs to get an answering machine for their club phone!
You know who you are!!!! ;O

Frank Whiteley

Old February 27th 05, 09:36 PM
John Giddy

On 27 Feb 2005 10:49:36 -0800, wrote:

Bill Daniels wrote:

You really need to visit the nearest gliderport and take a ride.

Assuming
you are in the USA, check
www.ssa.org and click the button "Where to
fly" to
find the nearest location.

Uh, I think you're right. I belong to a local flying club, one of
our members is a gliding enthusiast who flys out of another club
in Pensylvania. I suspect I could go with her up there pretty much
any weekend.

Just to return to your original question, what caused you to suspect
that gliders needed power assisted controls ?
AFAIK, there is no power assistance in the common Cessna and Piper GA
aircraft, unless you are using the autopilot. Am I wrong in this
assumption ?
John G.

Hanger and gliders hit by storm. [email protected] Soaring 6 February 1st 05 01:44 AM
Powered gliders = powered aircraft for 91.205 Mark James Boyd Soaring 2 December 12th 04 03:28 AM
Production rates? Ed Byars Soaring 38 November 24th 04 04:13 PM
Do you like gliders but hate FAA checkrides? Bruce Hoult Soaring 8 August 13th 04 05:14 PM
Underwater Gliders Burt Compton Soaring 6 November 25th 03 04:43 AM