SW Canada

Old June 3rd 04, 06:03 PM
Robert M. Gary

Default SW Canada

I'm planing on being in NW Washington state next month and thought it
would be cool to hop up to Canada for a couple days. I can get the
crossing type information from AOPA but I'm curious..

1) where the best places to land (near Vancouver)
2) What types of activities can you do near there?
3) Can I rent a car with a California DL?
4) Where is the best place to get airport information (AOPA web
sight?)
5) Should I get approach plates, do you get much IMC this time of
year?

-Robert
Old June 3rd 04, 07:07 PM
Peter Duniho

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
1) where the best places to land (near Vancouver)

For GA, Boundary Bay airport is probably your best bet.

2) What types of activities can you do near there?

Vancouver is a real city. You can do pretty much whatever you'd do in any
other major city. I prefer the outdoor activities, and for in-town outdoor
stuff, Stanley Park is a really nice place to go.
http://www.seestanleypark.com/

There are lots of great restaurants, a nice science center/museum, and
shows.

If you're into Asian food, especially Chinese or Taiwanese, Vancouver has a
great Chinatown, and for the more modern stuff, Richmond just south of
Vancouver is a great place to go too.

3) Can I rent a car with a California DL?

I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to, but I've never tried, so I
don't know for sure.

4) Where is the best place to get airport information (AOPA web
sight?)

Get the Canadian Aerodrome supplement. It's their equivalent of our A/FD,
and is chock-full of great information.

5) Should I get approach plates, do you get much IMC this time of
year?

You can never rule out instrument flying, but generally speaking we're
getting into our good weather season. It will be much more reliable in
August and September, but even in June and July there are numerous
good-weather flying days (not just basic VFR).

Since you're doing the tour, you might also consider checking out Victoria,
over on Vancouver Island. The airport is pretty far from the city, but it's
easy to get a taxiride in, and taxi drivers are great resources for local
info. A very popular tourism site in Victoria is the Butchart Gardens
(imagine a couple dozen different styles of gardens, all at the same
location, spread over a large area), but of course the Victoria downtown
itself is a great attraction. Get a tour of the Parliament, go have high
tea at the Empress Hotel, have a spectacular Sunday brunch at the Laurel
Point Inn, see the Crystal Gardens Conservatory, or just wander around
downtown.

Pete

Old June 3rd 04, 07:43 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Peter Duniho" said:
If you're into Asian food, especially Chinese or Taiwanese, Vancouver has a

s/has/is/
great Chinatown, and for the more modern stuff, Richmond just south of

:-)

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not
Old June 3rd 04, 08:30 PM
Peter Duniho

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Peter Duniho" said:
If you're into Asian food, especially Chinese or Taiwanese, Vancouver has

s/has/is/

Sure, I guess that's one way to look at it.

Pete

Old June 3rd 04, 09:07 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Peter Duniho wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
. com...
1) where the best places to land (near Vancouver)

For GA, Boundary Bay airport is probably your best bet.

That's where I landed. Friendly place, about CAN$45 for a cab to downtown
Vancouver from Delta. Stay near Canada Place (a "landmark facility" on
the water) or BC Place (a stadium) and you'll be within walking distance
of Stanley park (which would take days to fully explore), Chinatown, the
art museum, and ferries to the science museum and Granville island. When
we were there the busses were CAN$2 and you could get to other attractions
like the gardens that way.

Boundary Bay does think like a big airport and they have a lot of VFR
procedures (and associated landmarks) that they'll expect you to know.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old June 3rd 04, 11:25 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
1) where the best places to land (near Vancouver)

For GA, Boundary Bay airport is probably your best bet.

2) What types of activities can you do near there?

Vancouver is a real city. You can do pretty much whatever you'd do in any
other major city. I prefer the outdoor activities, and for in-town outdoor
stuff, Stanley Park is a really nice place to go.
http://www.seestanleypark.com/

I'm looking for something relaxing and quiet but with some light
activities for a young family (my kids are 8 and 9). Perhaps the
Nanaimo area? Would I be better off just going to Victoria Island? Do
they have good GA service? Is the Victoria Island area nice to drive
around?

-Robert
Old June 4th 04, 12:12 AM
Peter Duniho

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking for something relaxing and quiet but with some light
activities for a young family (my kids are 8 and 9). Perhaps the
Nanaimo area? Would I be better off just going to Victoria Island? Do
they have good GA service? Is the Victoria Island area nice to drive
around?

Victoria is the city. Vancouver Island is the island. To further
complicate things, the airport is actually north of Victoria, in Sidney, BC.

When I've flown to Victoria, I park over at the flying club tiedowns. They
are very friendly and easy-going. But then I've had the same easy
experience over at Boundary Bay. Because of the short distance I have to
fly, I've never had to deal with getting fuel or other services (though, I
did have to have a Sunday afternoon repair of my ignition system one time,
which went about as well as one could expect), but judging from the general
attitudes I've found, I can't imagine anyone having anything but a pleasant
experience.

As for whether it's nice to drive around, it's at least as nice as any of
the rest of the rural Pacific Northwest, which is to say it's beautiful,
with plenty of outdoor activities and scenery.

I can't say that Victoria/Vancouver Island would be any more or less
appropriate than the San Juans. Each have plenty to offer, and to some
extent it depends on how self-sufficient your family is with respect to
finding things to do. Personally, I think Orcas Island has enough to keep a
family busy for at least a weekend, if not an entire week, but if you're
looking for guided tours, museums, and other kid-friendly tourist
attractions, Victoria and Vancouver are likely to be better bets (as would
any larger city with a relatively dense population).

If you're asking about a comparison between Vancouver and Victoria, I guess
that depends. Near Vancouver it's mostly farmland, but if you head north
and west, you wind up in very similar terrain to that found on Vancouver
Island. Heading inland north, you wind up going toward the
Whistler/Blackcomb area, where they have great skiing in the winter, and the
usual outdoor mountain activities in the summer. Of course there are other
parks and outdoor areas all around.

Personally, I find Victoria and Vancouver very similar, but each with their
own unique tourist attractions and specific differences.

You might want to take a look at a map before you consider literally driving
around Vancouver Island. It's *big*.

If you do wind up driving on Vancouver Island, you might think about heading
up the southwestern coast to Sprout Lake (near Port Alberni) to visit the
Martin Mars water bomber operation.

Pete

Old June 4th 04, 01:21 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Peter Duniho" said:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
. com...
I'm looking for something relaxing and quiet but with some light
activities for a young family (my kids are 8 and 9). Perhaps the
Nanaimo area? Would I be better off just going to Victoria Island? Do

Nanaimo is also on Vancouver Island.

Victoria is the city. Vancouver Island is the island. To further
complicate things, the airport is actually north of Victoria, in Sidney, BC.

[snip]
If you do wind up driving on Vancouver Island, you might think about heading
up the southwestern coast to Sprout Lake (near Port Alberni) to visit the
Martin Mars water bomber operation.

It's Sproat Lake, not Sprout Lake. Last time I was there, several years
ago, there was nothing much to see of the "operation", but I did paddle a
canoe up pretty close to one of the Mars. They are HUGE!

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
It's fun to mock old people. They're going to die soon anyway.
Old June 4th 04, 03:37 AM
James Robinson

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

I'm looking for something relaxing and quiet but with some light
activities for a young family (my kids are 8 and 9).

Another option is to fly a bit inland, perhaps to Abbotsford. You can
rent cars there, then drive up the Fraser river to Hope and north to
Boston Bar.

Along the way is the Bridal Veil Falls, which make a spectacular drop
over the cliff, and with a short climb you can reach its base.

Near Hope there is a park with a path through a rugged canyon that is on
an abandoned railroad. It passes through about 4 short tunnels, and
across three bridges over a rushing river.

Each of these walks is in an area of spectacular scenery, and would take
about 45 minutes, which would be great for your kids. Not too strenuous,
but more than a simple walk across the street.

North of Hope, the highway follows the most rugged section of the Fraser
River, which is impressive to see. There are places to have a picnic,
and watch for fish. Boston Bar has a couple of restaurants that aren't
too bad.

I found the following site, where someone flew into Abbotsford and
Chilliwack for a $100 pie, and which might give you some ideas.

http://www.popularaviation.com/ListN...Dtl.asp?id=151

Could Canada Build Charles Talleyrand Military Aviation 22 July 11th 04 10:05 PM
RAATECH FUEL SYSTEMS SEMINAR JULY 10TH - MIDLAND, Ontario, Canada Robert Schieck Home Built 0 June 30th 04 08:28 PM
Flying into Canada Don Tuite Owning 2 March 16th 04 08:08 AM
French block airlift of British troops to Basra Michael Petukhov Military Aviation 202 October 24th 03 06:48 PM
Reflections on first trip to Canada from US Mike & Janet Larke Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 12:57 AM