OLC Posting Problem

Old September 27th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default OLC Posting Problem

I did a 200 km flight today (my personal best) that I wanted to post to
the OLC. The OLC site refuses to accept the trace, stating that "the
maximum timegap between two valid fixes is too large. (2166 sec 900
sec)". I am instructed to correct the error, and then click 'check
entry'. Obviously, any such a "correction" will cause the flight to
fail a security check. Yet without the correction, I can't post the
flight at all. Catch 22...

The flight was recorded using a Cambridge GPS-NAV Model 25. I'm told
that sometimes a bad time value is inserted into the data file with
this recorder. What galls me is that SeeYou has no problem presenting
the flight trace, but the OLC software can't!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Probably it's too late to do
anything, since the Tuesday midnight deadline is almost here (another
Catch 22).

-John

Old September 27th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell

jcarlyle wrote:
I did a 200 km flight today (my personal best) that I wanted to post to
the OLC. The OLC site refuses to accept the trace, stating that "the
maximum timegap between two valid fixes is too large. (2166 sec 900
sec)". I am instructed to correct the error, and then click 'check
entry'. Obviously, any such a "correction" will cause the flight to
fail a security check.

That's a common misconception. The .igc files from the GPS-NAV models
have absolutely no security in them at all. Editing the file, then
repackaging it with the .cai file might be possible, but messy.

Yet without the correction, I can't post the
flight at all. Catch 22...

The flight was recorded using a Cambridge GPS-NAV Model 25. I'm told
that sometimes a bad time value is inserted into the data file with
this recorder. What galls me is that SeeYou has no problem presenting
the flight trace, but the OLC software can't!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Probably it's too late to do
anything, since the Tuesday midnight deadline is almost here (another
Catch 22).

Do the start and end of soaring flight times look correct? It's possible
the problem is before or after the actual flight. Sometimes you have to
adjust those manually to deal with noise during landing or whatever.

-Dave

-John

Old September 27th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

jcarlyle wrote:
I did a 200 km flight today (my personal best) that I wanted to post to
the OLC. The OLC site refuses to accept the trace, stating that "the
maximum timegap between two valid fixes is too large. (2166 sec 900
sec)". I am instructed to correct the error, and then click 'check
entry'. Obviously, any such a "correction" will cause the flight to
fail a security check. Yet without the correction, I can't post the
flight at all. Catch 22...

You have a week to post (see below), so you have time to ask the OLC
guys to fix your file. Or you could convert to IGC format, then erase
the bogus line. This should pass OLC "security" (very limited if any
security for Model 25 files).

The flight was recorded using a Cambridge GPS-NAV Model 25. I'm told
that sometimes a bad time value is inserted into the data file with
this recorder. What galls me is that SeeYou has no problem presenting
the flight trace, but the OLC software can't!

The Model 20 and 25 seem to insert bogus values from time to time.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Probably it's too late to do
anything, since the Tuesday midnight deadline is almost here (another
Catch 22).

Since the flight was on Tuesday, you have until next Tuesday to post the
flight.

-John

Old September 28th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Haluza

I tried to fix your claim, but the IGC file you submitted has no
G-record. I'm not sure how you created it, but the easiest way is to
use an automated software tool. See the following notes for help with
this:

# If you are using a Cambridge GPS-NAV Model 10/20/25 logger, with
SeeYou flight analysis software, you should use SeeYou v3.5 or later
for reliable claim processing.
# If you are using a Cambridge GPS-NAV Model 10/20/25 logger with
SeeYou or StrePla flight analysis software, you must use the original
*.CAI file to generate the OLC flight claim. The software will
automatically convert this to *.IGC and properly append the binary data
for validation. Do not convert the *.CAI to *.IGC outside these
programs.
# If you are using a Cambridge GPS-NAV Model 10/20/25 logger, without
SeeYou or StrePla, you will need to convert the *.CAI file to *.IGC and
append the binary data. Carl Ekdahl has written a freeware utility
CAI2IGC4OLC to automate the process described above. See:
http://www.abqsoaring.org/misc_files/CAI_fix.htm

To correct your claim, you will have to resubmit the IGC file to OLC.
To force the server to revalidate your claim, increase the last digit
of your filename by one. If you need additional help, send me your CAI
file by private email.

Doug Haluza
SSA-OLC Admin

David Walsh wrote:
John,

Try sending an email to

They are very helpful and submitted flights on my behalf for most of
this year. As DBA's they can easily get around the Tuesday midnight
deadline. 200 km is worth fighting for. Congrats and good luck!

Regards,
David Walsh