Glider Shapes

Old January 6th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Glider Shapes

" wrote in message
Does anybody know the "New" price of the 2-33? What was the last year
they were built and what was the list price. It might be interesting
to compare the price (inflation adjusted and such) with the cost of a
K-21 or DG1000. Of course with the EURO\$ exchange rate the comparison is
mute.

Bob

IIRC the 1970 2-33 price was about $14,000

Using the Dollar Deflator, here are the 2008 results.
http://www.measuringworth.com/calcul...are/result.php
$72,667.35 using the Consumer Price Index
$59,273.12 using the GDP deflator
$74,045.68 using the unskilled wage
$121,670.14 using the nominal GDP per capita
$177,877.52 using the relative share of GDP

I don't think the Euro/Dollar relationship really matters since the US price
is what we have to pay. So, the current price of European glass trainers
isn't out of line especially when you consider what you get for your money.

Bill Daniels

Old January 7th 08, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Bill!

That's what I was looking for. Now the debate needs to turn from
"Glass trainers cost too much!" to "How can we invest in new Glass
trainers". In our club we (last spring) bought a (Previously owned)
Nimbus 3DT with loans from club members. Those that lent the money
felt that the club was worth the investment. I had the chance to buy
my own plane (very tempting) or invest in the club. I did the latter.
Now we are looking for another trainer to augment our Twin III. We
want to buy a used plane for this and right now that is hard to come
by. Hopefully we will find one in the spring.

Bob

Old January 7th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb

On 5 Jan, 20:54, Brad wrote:
Wow. It keeps sounding more and more like you guys are describing an
HP-24. Very modern looks and performance, roomy enough cockpit for us
'mericans. Optional 18m tips. Very reasonable cost if you are willing
to do final assembly yourself. The biggest problem could be that with
the weak dollar the Europeans may buy out all of Bob's production capacity.

Bob may end up being a very busy boy!

Brad

Unfortunately with the EASA garbage we are having to deal with an
American owner finished ship may not be marketable in Europe so it may
kill a lot of your potential.

Ian
Old January 8th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 5, 9:17*am, "Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote:
"nimbusgb" wrote in message

It seems IMHO that picking a popular glider design that is now out of
production and tuning it up for mass production is a low risk way to go. *An
LS-4 fits the bill nicely although there are probably others.

Even though some clubs will fear retractable gear I'd say keep it. *

Bill Daniels

An updated LS-4 would be sweet, as long as they re-design the landing
gear at the same time. As it exists, if the gas strut in the
retraction mechanism fails, you have 100% chance of RETRACTING the
gear, but little chance of getting it lowered and locked.
Old January 9th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Jan 9, 4:39*am, Gary Emerson wrote:

I think James is right on with this idea. *Take something like a G102
(make the nose sharper) or an LS-4 (perhaps a slightly bigger cockpit)
and put new wings on it which get it to 40/1 and fix any little issues
that the previous model was known for and I think you have 95% of this
project licked.- Hide quoted text -

Hey, that sounds kind of familiar. I think I've seen something like
that.

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com
Old January 9th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bob K.

I want one of those "sounds familar" thingy's but as I am now living
on the other side of the pond I don't think "they" (as in "them") will
allow me one! Hopefully all the guys in the States who are looking for
the perfect low cost last generation birds will buy one of your kits
(of course they'll have to wait till your done). Maybe you'll sell
more kits than you can make! Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Bob (who's drooling over your web site)

Old January 9th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 9, 8:02*am, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Jan 9, 4:39*am, Gary Emerson wrote:

I think James is right on with this idea. *Take something like a G102
(make the nose sharper) or an LS-4 (perhaps a slightly bigger cockpit)
and put new wings on it which get it to 40/1 and fix any little issues
that the previous model was known for and I think you have 95% of this
project licked.- Hide quoted text -

Hey, that sounds kind of familiar. I think I've seen something like
that.

Bob K.http://www.hpaircraft.com

Bob,
WHEN????
I know, I know...Tuesday. Till then, I'm still diggin' my old
Speed Astir. It's paid for!

Glider art Mal Soaring 2 December 13th 06 06:54 PM
Glider Model - Blaue Maus- 1922 Wasserkuppe Glider [email protected] Soaring 5 November 19th 06 11:08 PM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 02:05 PM
Sea Glider OscarCVox Soaring 8 July 12th 04 12:08 AM
Calculating CL for various wing shapes ian .at.bendigo Home Built 0 August 28th 03 12:47 PM