Radio Procedure - Runway ID

Old October 14th 05, 07:47 PM
Casey Wilson

Default Radio Procedure - Runway ID

Not particularly germane to this discussion, but KIYK is a non-tower
airport. I was up doing bumps and rounds, AKA touch-n-goes yesterday, and
was dutifully calling out my various positions as any good airman in the
pattern should do.

Now, I was calling the runway as 02, like in "....33Xray, turning left base,
runway Zero-Two, Inyokern." Over the radio comes a voice to admonish me
that, "...there is no zero in front of the two." Never wanting to rankle a
fellow pilot, I dropped the zero -- well, most of the time, anyway.
Thirty-year-old habits are hard to break.

Does it matter? Is there a protocol for this?

Old October 14th 05, 08:12 PM
Jose

"...there is no zero in front of the two."

Does it matter?

Visually, 02 and 20 can be confused, especially as they are opposite
ends of the same piece of pavement and you may be seeing one of them
upside down, so having a single digit is a nice cue.

Aurally I think "runway six" is clearer than "runway zero six" and uses
less radio time. I suppose "runway two garble" is ambiguous while
"runway zero two garble" isn't, but "runway garble two" isn't much
better, so that's a wash for me.

Jose
Old October 14th 05, 08:17 PM
Ross Richardson

I use an airport that has RWY 7 and I call zero-seven all the time. What
does it matter?

-------------
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Old October 14th 05, 08:31 PM
Newps

Ross Richardson wrote:
I use an airport that has RWY 7 and I call zero-seven all the time. What
does it matter?

It doesn't. It's like saying "any traffic in the area please advise."
Serves no purpose but doesn't hurt anything.
Old October 14th 05, 08:45 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote in message

Not particularly germane to this discussion, but KIYK is a non-tower
airport. I was up doing bumps and rounds, AKA touch-n-goes yesterday, and
was dutifully calling out my various positions as any good airman in the
pattern should do.

Now, I was calling the runway as 02, like in "....33Xray, turning left
base, runway Zero-Two, Inyokern." Over the radio comes a voice to admonish
me that, "...there is no zero in front of the two." Never wanting to
rankle a fellow pilot, I dropped the zero -- well, most of the time,
anyway. Thirty-year-old habits are hard to break.

Does it matter? Is there a protocol for this?

He's right, there is no leading zero, but most pilots probably feel it's not
worth correcting when they hear it.

Old October 14th 05, 09:05 PM
Jay Honeck

? Does it matter? Is there a protocol for this?

He's right, there is no leading zero, but most pilots probably feel it's not
worth correcting when they hear it.

Interesting. Both Mary and I were trained to ALWAYS use the leading
zero. Runway 7 is ALWAYS called runway 07.

For a runway like "3" it might make sense to use the leading zero,
simply to avoid confusion with runway "30" -- but for higher numbers I
guess it's dumb, now that I think about it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 14th 05, 09:21 PM
Bob Gardner

Ah...but this is just another example of an instructor pushing his/her own
ideas as gospel. "My instructor told me to..." is not justification for
anything. Heard it too many times on checkrides.

Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old October 14th 05, 10:14 PM
rps

In most cases, the leading zero probably doesn't hurt except to take
more airtime.

At your runway, however, "zero two" could easily be confused with "two
zero," which as you know is the opposite end of the same runway. Most
listeners will understand where you are and where you're going, but
watch out for that student pilot on his solo cross country who's about
to join the downwind for a right-hand runway 20 pattern!

Old October 14th 05, 10:22 PM
Jose

"My instructor told me to..." is not justification for
anything.

Well, in all fairness, what =should= we trust instructors for?

Jose
Old October 14th 05, 10:53 PM
Mike W.

Who knows, somebody might reply. Usually not.

. ..

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
Emergency Procedures RD Piloting 13 April 11th 04 08:25 PM
Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14? Guy Alcala Military Aviation 265 March 7th 04 09:28 AM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Cy Galley Owning 23 July 8th 03 03:30 AM