Been ripped by AS&S deceptive freight pricing???

Old August 21st 03, 09:32 PM
Ron Natalie

"Juan E Jimenez" wrote in message news:PW91b.218266$YN5.149392@sccrnsc01...
By this logic you could claim that anyone who has ever learned from his
mistakes is still as poor a businessman as he was then. Reduced to the
simple facts, you are agreeing with me while taking the opportunity to put
down Irwin, for no good reason. What's your point?

My point is your slavish devotion to certain types of people is hardly a
recommendation for their business. Your statement at face value is
"Jim Irwin wouldn't do that." is laughable because he has demonstrably
done so in the past. All you have to do is google the issue.

Old August 21st 03, 10:03 PM
Juan E Jimenez

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

My point is your slavish devotion to certain types of people is hardly a

recommendation for their business.

Slavish devotion? Aren't you really talking about _your_ slavish fixation on
people whom you don't like and despite your best efforts to put down, are
much more succesful at their enterprises than you have been? Seems to me
like you have a personal problem best dealt with through your chaplain or
therapist, Natalie.

Your statement at face value is
"Jim Irwin wouldn't do that." is laughable because he has demonstrably
done so in the past. All you have to do is google the issue.

From my personal experience, I am entitled to say that my opinion is that
Irwin would not do that. AS&S has gone way out of their way to make sure I
know they value the business I do with them. Every time there has been a
problem, it has been corrected almost immediately. I know many other
customers who feel exactly the same way about them. And so far, I haven't
seen a single instance of a problem with AS&S reported here that amounted to
much more than a case of whining by someone who has more of a chip on their
shoulder than a real reason to complain.

The fact remains that you agreed with me and only replied so you could take
a cheap shot at Irwin. That, IMO, is laughable behaviour.

Juan

Old August 22nd 03, 12:52 AM
CW9371

FWIW, mypilotstore.com charged less than five bucks to UPS a kid's
jacket and some knicknacks - very reasonable IMO. They don't sell
spruce, though. :-D

You should get a commercial account with UPS or Fed ex, even if u do a very
large volume 5.00 is still partionally subsided by the store.
Old August 22nd 03, 01:33 AM
Jerry Springer

Juan E Jimenez wrote:

By this logic you could claim that anyone who has ever learned from his
mistakes is still as poor a businessman as he was then. Reduced to the
simple facts, you are agreeing with me while taking the opportunity to put
down Irwin, for no good reason. What's your point? That he figured out how
to run things in better ways? The same could easily be said of you, me or
anyone else who is or has been in business for himself, with some
exceptions, of course.

Took him 15 years to learn how to run a business proprly, give me a
break. They well take everything they can get if they can.
Been there been shafted by ACS.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

Not how Jim Irwin runs his busines, now there's a laugh. Jim Irwin was by
no stretch of the imagination the pinnicle of customer support. It is
fortunately that AS&S has better people in those roles. It was Jim who
countered legitimate complaints about AS&S here in the past by disclosing
people's personal information on the group in an attempt to publicly

humiliate

them into not telling the truth about his company.

ASS certainly has done dunderheaded customer service things in the past
like quibble over credits that were under $5. In the past they would

simply

backorder things forever because the "computers" said it was in the

wearhouse

but the order pullers couldn't find it and nobody would do anything to

resolve

the issue without a bunch of complaints. They also would refuse to take
order inquiries or other issues over the 800 numbers.

Fortunately, they have gotten a whole lot better in the past. I was

quite pleasantly

surprised at the fact that the ordering process was better, that they

actually quoted

me a cheaper price than the online catalog on some items, that they now

will take

inquiry calls on the 800 numbers and are trying to do better.

Old August 22nd 03, 03:05 AM
Ernest Christley

Ron Natalie wrote:
"Juan E Jimenez" wrote in message news:cl91b.162998$cF.57206@rwcrnsc53...

As to the $55 for a $31-$35 shipment, I doubt very much they would not be
able to explain the charges. That is not the way Jim Irwin runs his
business. There must be something else not disclosed here.

Not how Jim Irwin runs his busines, now there's a laugh. Jim Irwin was by

Regardless of how he would run his business, I just got my order from
Dillsburg. I ordered 2pc of 1.25x.035x8ft and 3 pc of 1.5x.035x8ft, all
4130 tube. He left out 2pc of the 1.5, so I only got 3pc of steel. The
cost of the tube was $61.84, and "Shipping & Handling" was $30.21.

I thought the shipping was excessive, but it WAS rather large tubing.

I called to order the rest of what I need, figuring I might get a break
on the shipping of the extra since the order was screwed up. The guy
was immediately argumentative, telling me very emphatically that I was
wrong and that he shipped the correct thing. I said, "thank you", very
politely and hung up.

Pulled up the AS&S website and ordered about $300 worth of stuff,
including the tube that I would have bought from Dillsburg. "Shipping &
Handling" was $22.95.

I've always recieved good service from AS&S, and their customer support
has been polite and responsive to the few problems that I have had.

My money will go to AS&S when appropriate in the future.
--
----Because I can----
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/

Old August 22nd 03, 03:12 AM
Juan E Jimenez

Gee, Springer, you just described capitalism and SOP in this country. Is
that the source of your beef? chuckle

As to learning how to run a business, seems to me it took him a lot less
than that, since it's still around. If you ever own your own business at the
scale of Aircraft Spruce, maybe you'll understand. And yes, I have owned a
business that large. Years ago I was the sole stockholder and owner of one
of the largest food service companies in Puerto Rico, J.B. Commercial, Inc.,
with warehouses in Old San Juan near the ports, and hundreds of customers. I
had to deal on a weekly basis with people who thought that being a customer
entitled to ask for anything they thought we should give them, regardless of
how outlandish the request. No matter what I did, it wasn't good enough for
some of them and I was glad to see them get the heck out of my sight. I'm
glad I sold that.

"Jerry Springer" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old August 22nd 03, 04:20 AM
BD5ER

Pulled up the AS&S website and ordered about $300 worth of stuff,
including the tube that I would have bought from Dillsburg. "Shipping &
Handling" was $22.95.

So your the guy using up all of my AS+S luck G

In 20+ years I have never had a complete shipment. And in the old days the
freight on the backorders that dribbled in really added up. At least now they
pay the freight for some of the back ordered items but that still costs us all
because it's just added to the CODB column. My last order was 18% freight, (5
packages where 3 would have done just fine, no hazmats) and they still tried to
ding me freight on the backordered item - that I verified on the phone was in
stock - even with the note attached to not send anything if they didn't have
that one item.

Maybe someday they will figure out that the less money I have to give to UPS
and FedX the more I'll have to give to them to buy airplane parts? Their poor
shipping is costing THEM money.

Going to go back to Wicks........again. May try AS+S again in a year or 2.
Old August 22nd 03, 03:30 PM
Ron Natalie

"BD5ER" wrote in message ...
Pulled up the AS&S website and ordered about $300 worth of stuff,
including the tube that I would have bought from Dillsburg. "Shipping &
Handling" was $22.95.

So your the guy using up all of my AS+S luck G

Just had my $3000 order from AS&S ****ed up. At Oshkosh was told that
the EDM-800 I ordered would ship immediately. Now almost three weeks later
I get a letter saying it will drop ship from JPI sometime at the end of the month.

Old August 23rd 03, 01:13 AM
Kenny Danielson

OK Juan, here's your first.

I called AS&S about this twice but they refused to even consider they had
made a mistake. In fact, they got a little unfriendly possibly because after
they referred me to the shipping page, I pointed out it didn't answer the
question and further they couldn't account for the price any other way. So,
after one email letter and two phone calls, the problem remains.

In the past I've been a supporter of AS&S and even chimed in when I thought
this newsgroup was piling on unfairly. I have also given AS&S the option of
matching a price on a big item available elsewhere. The small businessman
has my sympathies since I have also been a retailer. "Your employees can put
you out of business faster than the competition," goes a well-known quote. I
think Jim had better pay attention especially to his customers who will let
him know how his business is going from the viewpoint of the user.

Kenny Danielson, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho