source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

Old July 30th 19, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 11:56:17 PM UTC-4, Mike C wrote:
On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 8:37:24 PM UTC-6, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 7:49:14 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I owned an ASW-19b more than 27 years ago and never had any safety
clips.Â* I sold it in 1992...

On 7/29/2019 11:48 AM, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
wrote:
One comment - If I read the above correctly some gliders do not have any safeties on their hotelier fittings at all??? Whoa! The FAA AD was released 27 years ago (revised 22 years ago) so I would have hoped that everyone had this uber-safety-critical fix implemented DECADES ago.

92-CE-41-AD; Amendment 39-10080; AD 97-08-06 R1

--
Dan, 5J

Dan - You wouldn't have known about needing the safety clips for your AWS-19B in 1992 as this FAA AD didn't come out until 1997. Lets hope that the new owners complied with the AD.

Gliders impacted:

Alexander Schleicher: ASK21, ASK23, ASW12, ASW15, ASW15B, ASW17, ASW19, ASW19B, AS12, AS-K13, Centrair S.N 101, 101A, 101P, 101AP, and 201B
Eiriavion: PIK 20, PIK 20B, and PIK 20D
Glaser Dirks: DG100, DG400, and DG-500M
Burkhart: Grob G102 Astir CS, G102, G103 Twin Astir, G103 Twin II, G103A Twin II Acro, G103C Twin III SL, G109, and G109B
Intreprinderea: ICA (Lark) IS-28B2 and IS-29D2
Rolladen Schneider: LS1-f and LS3-a
Schempp-Hirth: Cirrus, Std. Cirrus, Nimbus 2, Nimbus 2B, Janus, Discus a, Ventus a/16.6

Do you recall the circumstance causing the AD?

Multiple events involving disconnected(or never connected ) controls.
UH
Old July 30th 19, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Ya, and I never had a control become disconnected, either.Â* Of course
whether or not using safety clips, the controls must be properly connected.

Assuming the AD was generated as a result of an accident, I must ask:Â*
Was the cause that the control, properly connected, became disconnected,
was not properly connected and became disconnected, or was the control
not connected at all?Â* I have l'Hotellier connecters on the outboard
sections of my flaperons and I consider the clips to be a no-go item
but, try as I might before inserting the clips, I can not separate the
connection if it has been properly made.

I also wonder why a ship of the caliber of a Stemme could not have
automatic connections for the outboard flaperons, but that's another
discussion.

Old July 30th 19, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

wrote:
[...]

Hey all,
A quick search of the original EASA AD reports that after a few assemblies, the friction surface becomes polished and can allow disconnection.
I heard once that safety AD were mostly written after fatalities

https://www.alexander-schleicher.de/...93-001-3_E.pdf.

lets stay safe out there,
Scott
Old July 31st 19, 07:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

I think the pins also cannot be inserted if the wedge is not fully home. I have LS sleeves though so no personal experience.

Cheers Ben