Oldest Operational Boeing 707?

Old August 19th 03, 11:06 PM
Christopher

My data is not from Harms list - I thought he stopped his list last year or
even 2001 ?

"Vitaly Shmatikov" wrote in message
In article ,
Christopher wrote:

N70700 is now in the Museum of Flight WA.

But it's still flying every now and then. Go to www.airliners.net
and search for N70700. The most recent pictures are from August 2.

N707GE is still flying - owned and operated by General Electric [707

321F -
April 1960]

Nope, it hasn't flown for a while. Has been sitting at MHV for years.

a couple of older models are with the Embassy of Saudi Arabia and the
Israeli Air Force [1959]

These, too, are collecting dust on the ramp somewhere.

Are you getting your data from Bill Harms' jet aircraft census?
An excellent resource, but not 100% reliable.

Old August 19th 03, 11:38 PM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
Christopher wrote:

My data is not from Harms list - I thought he stopped his list last year or
even 2001 ?

I'm just curious why you said N707GE is still flying. I thought GE
uses N747GE for engine testing these days, while N707GE doesn't fly
anymore, having been retired and conserved at Mojave.

Old August 22nd 03, 04:26 AM
Tarver Engineering

"James Anatidae" wrote in message
I remember reading somewhere a couple years back that one of first couple

of
707's is still flying somewhere in the US, I think in Florida. I haven't
been able to Google any info, so does anybody know the plane I'm taking
about and if so is it still flying?

I believe the australian CAA is still flying their 707.

Old August 22nd 03, 06:19 PM
Pat Barry

The Australian Air Force 707 aircraft were transformed into aerial fuel
tankers. The Air Force has a business jet fleet that it uses to transport the
Prime Minister, and has had for several years.

JMS wrote:

Somewhat related by the Australian Air Force does still have at least 1 707
which is sometimes used by the Prime Minister. Unfortunately no Air Force 1
for the Aussie PM.

--
Goliath & Wildwing's Storage Room
http://anatidae.homestead.com/frontdoor.html

Old August 22nd 03, 06:22 PM
Pat Barry

The GE 707 I read just a week ago was at Mojave, but is being scrapped (eaten by
the muncher at Mojave) since the program that GE used it for is completed and
the plane has no further usage.

John Travolta probably has the finest 707 still operating - he had a new glass
cockpit and executive interior installed and it must be a superb aircraft - it
has been featured on the Discovery Channel in a documentary and is spectacular.

James Anatidae wrote:

I remember reading somewhere a couple years back that one of first couple

of
707's is still flying somewhere in the US, I think in Florida. I haven't
been able to Google any info, so does anybody know the plane I'm taking
about and if so is it still flying?

Are you thinking of N70700, Boeing's first 707 prototype (367-80,
aka Dash 80)? It's kept in Seattle and Boeing still flies it out for
airshows and such.

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...&keywrange=all

Old August 26th 03, 06:19 AM
leslie

Angus Davis ) wrote:
:
:
: Vitaly Shmatikov wrote:
: Are you thinking of N70700, Boeing's first 707 prototype (367-80,
: aka Dash 80)?
:
: Didn't that one do a barrel roll over the Golden Gate bridge at one
: point during a test flight?

It was over Lake Washington; this site includes some photos shot from
the Dash-80 during the rolls:

http://www.historylink.org/output.CFM?file_ID=390
HistoryLink Database Output

"Boeing prototype jet performs dramatic roll over Lake Washington on
August 7, 1955.

On August 7, 1955, Alvin M. "Tex" Johnston stuns the crowd at the
Seafair Gold Cup hydroplane race on Lake Washington by barrel (or
aileron) rolling the prototype Dash-80, the precursor to the Boeing
707, thus launching the era of the modern commercial jet. (What
Johnston did with the airplane was called a barrel-roll but
technically, it was an aileron roll, in which a plane rotates on its
long axis, rather than describing a "barrel" loop.) Even Boeing
President William Allen is taken by surprise as he escorts potential
customers who are seeing the jet for the first time.

Flying at more than 400 miles per hour just 400 feet above the water,
Johnston commenced a sudden ascent. The jet's swept-back wings
spiraled as the 128-foot-long, 160,000 pound plane rolled, flying for
a short time upside down. Then, for extra measure, Johnston performed
a second barrel-roll. Boeing President Allen asked a guest with a
heart problem if he could borrow his pills. The potential jet buyers
were duly impressed.

By the time Johnston broke the transcontinental speed record in 1957,
by flying from Seattle to Baltimore in 3 hours, 48 minutes, orders for
the new 707 were pouring in.

Sources:
Robert McG. Thomas Jr., "Tex Johnston, Daring Jet Test Pilot, Dies at
84," The New York Times, November 14, 1998, A16.

By Patrick McRoberts, 1999"

The "Discovery Wings" channel has a "Touched By History" segment showing
the rolls, narrated by Tex Johnston's son.

:
: Has that feat been repeated in large airliners?
:

Not that I'm aware of.

--Jerry Leslie
Note: is invalid for email
Old October 14th 03, 05:35 AM
Dan Foster

In article , leslie wrote:

It was over Lake Washington; this site includes some photos shot from
the Dash-80 during the rolls:

On August 7, 1955, Alvin M. "Tex" Johnston stuns the crowd at the
Seafair Gold Cup hydroplane race on Lake Washington by barrel (or
aileron) rolling the prototype Dash-80, the precursor to the Boeing
707, thus launching the era of the modern commercial jet.

Is someone going to roll a 367-80 over Lake Washington on August 7, 2005
to properly commemorate the 50th anniversary of that event?

-Dan
Old October 14th 03, 11:01 AM
James Robinson

Dan Foster wrote:

Is someone going to roll a 367-80 over Lake Washington on August 7, 2005
to properly commemorate the 50th anniversary of that event?

I doubt it. There is only one 367-80, and it is parked at the
Smithsonian at Washington Dulles airport.
Old October 14th 03, 02:33 PM
DALing

doubt it since there's only ONE of them and it's in the Smithsonian air and
space museum ;-)

"Dan Foster" wrote in message
In article , leslie

Old October 14th 03, 06:37 PM
James Anatidae

"DALing" daling43[delete]-at-hotmail.com wrote in message
"Dan Foster" wrote in message
In article , leslie

wrote:

It was over Lake Washington; this site includes some photos shot from
the Dash-80 during the rolls:

On August 7, 1955, Alvin M. "Tex" Johnston stuns the crowd at the
Seafair Gold Cup hydroplane race on Lake Washington by barrel (or
aileron) rolling the prototype Dash-80, the precursor to the Boeing
707, thus launching the era of the modern commercial jet.

Is someone going to roll a 367-80 over Lake Washington on August 7, 2005
to properly commemorate the 50th anniversary of that event?

doubt it since there's only ONE of them and it's in the Smithsonian air

and
space museum ;-)

Couldn't we use a regular old 707 then?

--
Goliath & Wildwing's Storage Room
http://anatidae.homestead.com/
The 8th Annual Gathering of the Gargoyles
http://gathering.gargoyles-fans.org
Gargoyles SETI@home group
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/s...am_167065.html