Flarm / Oudie issues

Old July 14th 19, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default Flarm / Oudie issues

Hi All
Just got back from 3 weeks of flying in Ephrata and Nephi.

I have random issues with Flarm targets not showing up on my Oudie.

After several years of perfect functionality, Its not working so well now

So this spring I updated my Flarm Firmware, My Flarm net data base and my Oudie to all the latest versions of software.

Flying this year, Often times targets would not show up even though they were 50' away on the ramp, while most targets that did show up came in at very long range, often 10 miles+ out. Sometimes not though and I'd lose targets at 2-3 miles. Or less. Very random performance.

I lost all the targets I.D. which I used to have.

Does anyone know where my problem lies?

In the latest Flarm update?

In the latest Oudie update?

Is it in the Flarmnet data base update?

I checked my Flarm performance in the range analyzer and It came in as very good.
Some others reported they could see my I.D. but not all.

All ADS-S targets came in OK
Any ideas from the Pro's out there?
Anyone experiencing these problems this season?
Where should I start?
Thanks in advance.
Nick
Old July 14th 19, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I had similar problems recently after installing the latest Flarm
update.Â* I eventually went back to the Flarm configuration tool and
redid my Flarm config file.Â* IIRC, I then had to make some manual
changes to the config file and, after reloading that, everything worked
again.Â* It was very tiresome!

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 14th 19, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Dan, please provide details of what you did. I have not had Flarm target ID’s on my Oudie since last August. I also can not add gliders to my buddy list.
Old July 14th 19, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hi Tim,

Go to the Flarm website and use the configuration tool
https://flarm.com/support/tools-software/flarm-configuration-tool/.

Log in if you have an account, if not, it might be good to do so. Enter
data applicable to your ship.Â* If I didn't know any better, I used the
defaults.Â* After running the tool, the flarmcfg.txt file was downloaded
automatically.

Place the flarmcfg.txt file in the root of an SD card or USB stick
whichever is applicable to your device.Â* Insert the device and power on
your device.Â* After the configuration is complete, remove the device.Â*
This should at least get you started.Â* I found initially that I got
alerts on my own glider which was very distracting.Â* The fix was, IIRC,
to go back to the default settings in the flarmcfg.txt file.

That should get you started.

Dan

Old July 14th 19, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 10:26:56 AM UTC-6, Nick Kennedy wrote:
[...]

Nick,
You might want to do a factory reset. Multiple threads in the past discuss that.
Here is the basic command. I stole this from JS's post a couple of years ago. I've used it successfully in the past. Remove the # sign to activate the command. After the reset, I used the config tool to redo my config file. Works fine(ish) now.

# Original reset line. Clears PowerFlarm, sets all parameters to default values
# $PFLAC,S,DEF

# Complete factory reset. Use once in a one-line config file.
# $PFLAR,99

Craig
Old July 15th 19, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 2:27:28 PM UTC-7, Craig Reinholt wrote:
[...]

After you do a Complete factory reset. Put the 6.67 firmware and your FLARMCFG file
on a clean USB drive and put in the PowerFlarm.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old July 15th 19, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Craig
The factory reset sounds like a good idea at this point.
I hope that fixes the I.D. problem too.
Should be straightforward.
Richard
Should I put my USB stick in the dishwasher?
You said clean
Old July 15th 19, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
zach yama

I have been having almost the same issue and posted about it a few weeks back. I seem to display all flarm targets but only show their ICAO hexidecimal code, not their ID from the flarmnet database. When I ran XC soar on my Oudie with the propper flarmnet data set active, the targets and IDs were displayed perfectly, leading me to believe this is a problem with the current Oudie firmware. I have reached out to Naviter who has not provided a solution. I will reset my FLARM and post my results here.
Old July 15th 19, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

It's known Oudie bug, no other possibilities than wait for a fix.
Old July 15th 19, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Latest Oudie update shows IDs.

Current FlarmNet download page:

LXNAV and Naviter
20190715.fln

Copy to RADAR folder

flarm/oudie [email protected] Soaring 3 September 15th 17 02:51 PM
trying to work out how you connect the flarm view 57 to mini box flarm running a V7 and Oudie Michael Marshall[_2_] Soaring 3 April 10th 16 04:13 AM
trying to work out how you connect the flarm view 57 to mini box flarm running a V7 and Oudie Michael Marshall[_2_] Soaring 0 April 8th 16 08:57 PM
Noise issues with Oudie 2 in a couple different aircraft Doug Mueller Soaring 15 July 25th 14 02:22 PM
Oudie Issues vontresc Soaring 4 July 16th 14 04:44 AM