mobile phones

Old March 5th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default mobile phones

"chipsoars" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 4, 4:37 pm, "Peter" wrote:
What is the maximum altitude (about) when the mobile phone becomes
useless?
PeterK

I've had it ring at 2500'agl at which point I told whoever (my wife
and curtly too) that I was busy flying and then shut it off (I forgot
to shut it off prior to launch). If many consider it unsafe to drive
and talk, why do it in the air?

First, there are hundreds of thousands of pilots trained to verbally copy
and read back complicated airtraffic clearances while flying extremely
complex aircraft. For these pilots, a duplex phome conversation while
flying a simple glider is childs play. However, if it bothers you, don't do
it.

BTW, I don't think using satellite phones aboard an aircraft is prohibited
by FCC regulations.

Bill D

Old March 5th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

*yawn* It's also against the law to loiter within the walls of
Chester, England after sunset.

Old debates ...

~tuno

Old March 5th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

jeplane wrote:
However, you should not forget that the use of cell phones aboard
airborne aircrafts is banned by the FCC in 47 C.F.R. § 22.925:
(Oct 1, 2006 revision) states "Cellular telephones installed in or
carried aboard airplanes, balloons or any other type of aircraft must
not be operated while such aircraft are airborne. When any aircraft
leaves the ground, all cellular telephones on board that aircraft must
be turned off."

47 CFR 22.295 applies only to "cellular telephones" (i.e. the old analog
things that operated in the 800 MHz band) licensed under Part 22. Most
of us now carry PCS (personal communications services) phones licensed
under Part 24, and as far as I can tell, the FCC has no regulations
against their use in flight...

Marc
Old March 5th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

As Mike said, text messages and some 911 signals require much less
power and signal to go through. (Mobile phone software enforces a
"quality of service" threshold; if it cannot be met or exceeded for a
voice call, it will not go through, but this threshold is very
different for text and emergency calls.)

I landed out ~50 miles south lf Moriarty a couple of years ago and my
mobile didn't work; it showed a weak analog signal but wouldn't place
calls. But 911 worked, and when I explained by situation to the
operator, she got called my crew number and we got hooked up.

~ted/2NO

Old March 5th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lew Hartswick

Tuno wrote:
As Mike said, text messages and some 911 signals require much less
power and signal to go through. (Mobile phone software enforces a
"quality of service" threshold; if it cannot be met or exceeded for a
voice call, it will not go through, but this threshold is very
different for text and emergency calls.)

I landed out ~50 miles south lf Moriarty a couple of years ago and my
mobile didn't work; it showed a weak analog signal but wouldn't place
calls. But 911 worked, and when I explained by situation to the
operator, she got called my crew number and we got hooked up.

~ted/2NO

Where were you? about Claunch? That is some desolate country.
...lew...
Old March 5th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Where were you? about Claunch? That is some desolate country.

Lincoln Station, maybe 15 miles east of Claunch. I wonder if my wing
stand is sitll there ...

Old March 5th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Mar 4, 7:51 pm, "Tuno" wrote:
*yawn* It's also against the law to loiter within the walls of
Chester, England after sunset.

Old debates ...

~tuno

Only if you're Welsh - I used to live in Chester and loitered there
frequently after dark!

Mike

Old March 5th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Malcolm Austin

Is that what I can see on Google Earth? :-)

oups.com...

Old March 5th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Marc Ramsey wrote:
jeplane wrote:
However, you should not forget that the use of cell phones aboard
airborne aircrafts is banned by the FCC in 47 C.F.R. § 22.925:
(Oct 1, 2006 revision) states "Cellular telephones installed in or
carried aboard airplanes, balloons or any other type of aircraft must
not be operated while such aircraft are airborne. When any aircraft
leaves the ground, all cellular telephones on board that aircraft must
be turned off."

47 CFR 22.295 applies only to "cellular telephones" (i.e. the old analog
things that operated in the 800 MHz band) licensed under Part 22. Most
of us now carry PCS (personal communications services) phones licensed
under Part 24, and as far as I can tell, the FCC has no regulations
against their use in flight...

My cursory Google search backs up Marc's comments (not that I doubted
him - I was just curious about the details). So, unless someone can find
contrary documents, this may be the end of one of our favorite perennial
threads. May "Cell phone use in gliders" rest in peace.

And perhaps it's time to call them "mobile phones" instead of "cell
phones". I thing the Europeans have done that for years, already.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old March 5th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

why do it in the air?

I've done it to call the Tower and get a landing clearance after my
radio faile

Brian