Help search for Steve Fossett

Old September 10th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Limus

Default Help search for Steve Fossett

On Sep 10, 3:35 pm, "user" wrote:
I was game, gave it a try, and after entering enough contact information to
get spammed for years to come, I got the "Try again later" message. Web
sites shouldn't be playing these kinds of games with people's lives - unless
they're robust enough to follow through. Sorry Steve, no help coming from
this end.

Come on - give them a break ! They only had few days to put all this
system together. Try again and it will go through.

Limus

Old September 11th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darren Bedwell

You can also download a KML file for Google Earth with recent
satellite photos.

Using that KML file I found an object resembling an airplane at
38.4222, -118.983. It's light-colored, pointing southwest, and looks
like it even has the kind of shadow I would expect from a high wing
monoplane. I have no idea who to contact with this, though.

On Sep 10, 5:55 am, Dan G wrote:
http://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?g...21T60&kw=Flash

These are 0.4 m resolution pictures taken by satellite (GeoEye) since
Fossett went missing. You're shown a picture and either you say "no,
nothing of interest" or "yes, this should be checked out". There's
over 100,000 images to sift through, so if you can help, please do!

Old September 11th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lew Hartswick

Dan G wrote:

http://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?g...21T60&kw=Flash

These are 0.4 m resolution pictures taken by satellite (GeoEye) since
Fossett went missing. You're shown a picture and either you say "no,
nothing of interest" or "yes, this should be checked out". There's
over 100,000 images to sift through, so if you can help, please do!

I just did about 150. Boy that country is some desolate.
...lew...
Old September 11th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ro

On Sep 10, 5:55 am, Dan G wrote:
http://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?g...21T60&kw=Flash

These are 0.4 m resolution pictures taken by satellite (GeoEye) since
Fossett went missing. You're shown a picture and either you say "no,
nothing of interest" or "yes, this should be checked out". There's
over 100,000 images to sift through, so if you can help, please do!

mmm. it's to small.

Look here
38°33'44.15"N
119°19'36.39"W
Old September 11th 07, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

On Sep 10, 11:53 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"user" wrote in message

I was game, gave it a try, and after entering enough contact information to get
spammed for years to come, I got the "Try again later" message. Web sites
shouldn't be playing these kinds of games with people's lives - unless they're
robust enough to follow through. Sorry Steve, no help coming from this end.

I was also initially game to give it a try, but made the mistake of reading
the user agreement. Sorry, no go this time.

Perhaps in the future they will have time to smooth out some of the kinks.

It's amazon.com. Just use your normal Amazon login. If you've never
used Amazon before, well, they've not become one of the biggest, if
not *the* biggest, online retailers in the world by spamming customers
or screwing them through the license. Join. Help.

BTW I'd caution against using Google Earth even with the GeoEye KML -
it's a vast area, so it needs to be divided up evenly between users -
which is what MT does. It also allows you to report anything
interesting you find straight to the team.

Dan

Old September 11th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Sep 10, 5:51 pm, Ro wrote:

Look here
38°33'44.15"N
119°19'36.39"W

Yup, that looks like an airplane on trees. Did you contact the search
team?

I looked about for a "tip hotline," but didn't find any such.

Old September 11th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Sep 11, 8:52 am, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Sep 10, 5:51 pm, Ro wrote:

Look here
38°33'44.15"N
119°19'36.39"W

Yup, that looks like an airplane on trees. Did you contact the search
team?

I looked about for a "tip hotline," but didn't find any such.

More likely an airplane flying over. There were probably 40 of them
searching the area when the photo was taken, but nevertheless should
be reported.

Ramy

Old September 11th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Sep 10, 5:51 pm, Ro wrote:

Look here
38°33'44.15"N
119°19'36.39"W

Yup, that looks like an airplane on trees. Did you contact the search
team?

I looked about for a "tip hotline," but didn't find any such.

More likely an airplane flying over. There were probably 40 of them
searching the area when the photo was taken, but nevertheless should
be reported.

Ramy

Could even be a glider. This is right between Desert Creek Pk and Mt
Patterson, an area flown frequently by gliders from Minden and
Truckee.

Ramy

Old September 11th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

In looking at the area covered by the new sat pictures on Google
Earth, I am surprised by how small it is. from lat=38.9520869405,
lon=-119.456244753 to lat=37.9965916667, lon=-118.937121878 is only
about 1800 sq miles. Sounds like a lot on paper, but gliders were
covering 3-4x that amount the same day. Was that all the coverage they
could get, or was there something to indicate that was an area of
focus? His range must have been 50x this area. I would think that
the advantage of an online sat search is that a million eyes could
cover a very large area several times over. Impossible by air.

Matt

Old September 11th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Sep 11, 11:42 am, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
In looking at the area covered by the new sat pictures on Google
Earth, I am surprised by how small it is. from lat=38.9520869405,
lon=-119.456244753 to lat=37.9965916667, lon=-118.937121878 is only
about 1800 sq miles. Sounds like a lot on paper, but gliders were
covering 3-4x that amount the same day. Was that all the coverage they
could get, or was there something to indicate that was an area of
focus? His range must have been 50x this area. I would think that
the advantage of an online sat search is that a million eyes could
cover a very large area several times over. Impossible by air.

Matt

It would also be a huge advantage if the Amazon page would provide
side by side sat pictures before and after his flight. Much easier to
spot a difference. I bet a computer software could do that as well.
Maybe they are already doing it...

Ramy

Steve Fossett search Don Pyeatt Aviation Photos 9 September 11th 07 06:16 PM
Steve Fossett NoneYa Piloting 32 September 11th 07 02:45 AM
Steve Fossett Brian Milner Soaring 3 September 8th 07 08:26 AM
Steve Fossett [email protected] Owning 15 September 7th 07 08:45 PM