Types of currency

Old March 20th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Default Types of currency

why certainly.. but only for the Capt..

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk At Wow Way D0t C0m wrote in message
news:VsmdnW0lIYN9HHzanZ2dnUVZ_oimnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
"BT" wrote in message
you WILL do 3 trips around the pattern solo (or with an instructor), to
complete your three landings in a glider (it is a different category all
its own).. before you take that friend soaring..

no exceptions..

It's three Takeoff / landings - not three trips around the pattern. So, I
suspect that you could save a couple tows by doing two touch and go's
before the full stop at the end of the runway, eh?

You touch the main gear down,
you lift the main gear up
You touch the main gear down
and you shake it all around.

Isn't that what it's all about?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old March 20th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

as far as I know.. only night landings need to be full stop..

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk At Wow Way D0t C0m wrote in message
news:e4WdnYKi77J8JHzanZ2dnUVZ_vumnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
"Bob F." wrote in message
. ..
Just supporting your point that a pattern has nothing to do with it. ;-)
Does three bounces get it? At what point does a bounce become a to /
landing?

Far as I know, the regs don't really say...

I couldn't tell you how many times I heard "how many of those are you
going to log?" from my brother...

Old March 20th 08, 10:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Byrer

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:04:37 -0700 (PDT), buttman
wrote:

I did. I read the whole thing before posting the topic. I don't fly
gliders, but from what I know, it would be weird to just go out, get
towed up and come right back 3 times for the purpose of landing
currency. I figured there might be some kind of exception for gliders,
considering I couldn't find any mention via a google search of anyone
doing such a thing. Same goes for balloon piloting.

3 pattern tows...they tow you to pattern altitude and release. It's
good practice....not just for landing, but for flying the pattern too.

Might ask this over in rec.avaition.soaring...

Don Byrer KJ5KB
Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy
Glider & CFI wannabe
kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..."
"Watch out for those doves...smack-smack-smack-smack..."
Old March 20th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

When we used to fly out of a nice grass strip in Issaquah WA, before it
closed, we used to pull out, go to about 300', pull the release, do a 180
and land right back in the opposite direction. In fact when I got my
commercial in a glider, I did almost the same but instead of a simple 180,
it was precede by a 360 to meet the requirements. This may sound low but in
a 126 the problem was "getting down" and stopping. I had to do some serious
slipping on a few of them.

--
Regards, BobF.

Old March 20th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Bob F. wrote:
So, if it's one loooong runway, or on a river in a float plane, can you take
off and land, take off and land and take off and land without going around
the pattern to qualify?

I used to get my night currency at KPHX (after the commercial guys had gone
to bed) without flying patterns. Tower would have me takeoff, turn a 180 at
the end of the runway, land, stop, then throttle up and do it again in the
opposite direction. Three full-stops took about 5 min.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 20th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

hmm...seems CTAF, night, after tower closes, recorder still running, all you
need is a radio...you figure the rest.

--
Regards, BobF.

Old March 20th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

JGalban via AviationKB.com wrote:

I used to get my night currency at KPHX (after the commercial guys had gone
to bed) without flying patterns. Tower would have me takeoff, turn a 180 at
the end of the runway, land, stop, then throttle up and do it again in the
opposite direction. Three full-stops took about 5 min.

I've done the same. It's fun! G
Old March 20th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"BT" wrote in message
as far as I know.. only night landings need to be full stop..

Also tailwheel.

And having suggested the 3 bounce thing - I wonder if that is the reason for
requiring full stops for a taildragger - it would be real easy to make a
pass down the runway doing several wheelies in a row...

But to get serious for a moment, I would like to make it clear that I am not
suggesting that the 3 bounces are a good idea or anything adequate for
someone who hasn't manged to get out three times in the last 90 days...

Old March 21st 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

yes also tail wheel..

and I knew you were just having fun with the bounce thing..

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk At Wow Way D0t C0m wrote in message
news:fpydnSQ9zvciU3_anZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

Old March 21st 08, 11:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

buttman wrote:

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list somewhere that lays out each
and every category/class combo that the FAA recognizes?

Of course, the list is even more confusing in that the TAILWHEEL and
NIGHT cover tricycle gear and day respectively. You could cover all
your single engine (non typed) currency by doing 3 full stop landings
in a tailwheel aircraft at night.