Whoa!

Old August 22nd 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Whoa!

On Aug 21, 4:10*pm, wrote:
But that doesn't change the fact that RAS is not "a site".

Ishttp://groups.google.com'a site'?

What's your point? r.a.s is not a site. No more than the Associated
Press (a wire sevice) is a newspaper. Asking the question multiple
times does not change the answer.

http://groups.google.com and http://www.gliderpilot.net are is by
definition web sites and had the original poster said the site he was
actually getting a web based access to a USENET newsgroup from then
the statement would make sense. USENET is the distributed backbone
network that carries all these messages. r.a.s. is set up and in this
case un-moderated jsut like many USENET groups. Message tranmission to
other sites, kill messages and other control across the distributed
network use USENET mechanisms. Google or glider pilot network have no
more control over the content of messages flowing outside their
servers than any other news site. USENET was kind of built from the
beginning to allow permissive posting in often unmoderated groups and
modern newsreaders are set up with kill files and filters to handle
this, all of which is why it's really not that effective to complain
to Google or others about message content, unless it is persistent
SPAM originating from their site (vs. one of the many many thousands
of other USENET servers). Unfortunately a lot *does* originate at
Google.

Real men and women will use a real news reader such as trn,
Thunderbird or Outlook Express (both the later do email and USENET
news) because of the extra controls they provide. Most ISPs wil
provide an nntp (Network News Transfer Protocol) feed to connect
USENET servers to a news reader. If you want to try out the real thing
instead of Google Groups etc. look at your ISP's setup info for nntp
or newsreaders. (And yes, I'm using Google groups, so obviously not a
real man (or woman)).

Darryl

Old August 22nd 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lew Hartswick

Nyal Williams wrote:
I get r.a.s. through gliderpilot.net. My service provider is Comcast. The
message that it is a phishing site comes up from my spyware, which is
PC-cillin.

At 07:46 21 August 2008, John Smith wrote:
wrote:
Actually, this group is Usenet and not a "site".
RAS is available through Google Groups at:

1. Sure. But that doesn't change the fact that RAS is not "a site".
2. The OP accesses RAS not through google groups but through
gliderpilot.net, anyway. This doesn't change the fact that RAS is not

"a site", either.

I would suggest you get a different "spyware".
...lew...
Old August 22nd 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

PC-cillin was recommended by Consumer Reports as the best spyware
available two years ago when I got it. The problem lasted just one
afternoon for me, the original poster, and that was three days ago.
Let's let this thread die.