Bad landing

Old March 7th 09, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kestrel19

Default Bad landing

On Mar 6, 10:49*am, jcarlyle wrote:
Man - that's terrible! That must be one really difficult plane to
land, or these guys must not have many hours of experience.

-john

Note sure of present day qualifications, but IIRC, back in the 1980's
I was told that it took 1500 hours of stick time to get a shot and
three tries at landing to get accepted. You had to have the touch.

A bent wing meant a museum piece as the spars were machined from a
single billet of aluminum.

Frank
Old March 7th 09, 08:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Maybe they should have gone to negative flaps after touchdown!
Old March 7th 09, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 7, 8:56*am, wrote:
Maybe they should have gone to negative flaps after touchdown!

We need to do that with our Nimbus 3DT unless you wantto go into the
dirt!
Old March 7th 09, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

At 17:49 06 March 2009, jcarlyle wrote:
Man - that's terrible! That must be one really difficult plane to
land, or these guys must not have many hours of experience.

Notice that most of these landings are happening in the two-seat trainer
version of the U-2, so yes, the pilots probably didn't have much in the
way of experience.

Jim Beckman

Old March 7th 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lew Hartswick

Frank Whiteley wrote:
This might make you feel better about a few of your landings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eamnTyfkUBY

Never saw one land but the one I saw take off at Bien Hoa
was sure a pretty picture. A few of those sequences were
during takeoff, still had the wing wheels on.
...lew...
Old March 7th 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KevinFinke

This months Flying Magazine has a really good article on flying the
U2. They mention a number of factors that contribute to it's
difficulty in landing. It's a good read. I recommend checking it out.

Any one notice how little dihedral the airplane has? I'm sure that
doesn't help at all. And what about the spoilers? They look smaller
than a Schweizer 1-19....

-Kevin
Old March 7th 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

KevinFinke wrote:
This months Flying Magazine has a really good article on flying the
U2. They mention a number of factors that contribute to it's
difficulty in landing. It's a good read. I recommend checking it out.

Any one notice how little dihedral the airplane has? I'm sure that
doesn't help at all. And what about the spoilers? They look smaller
than a Schweizer 1-19....

How does the dihedral affect the landing characteristics?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old March 7th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

How does the dihedral affect the landing characteristics?

1. Roll stability (or lack thereof)
2. Wingtip clearance

Shooting from the hip,
-Paul
Old March 7th 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KevinFinke

Paul, that's exactly what I was thinking. In watching the videos, it
looked like the aileron effectiveness was very poor, so if a wing
started rolling, it just kept going. That combined with the low tip
clearance meant that the airplane looked very prone to easy ground
looping. If the airplane had better roll stability, I think it would
be easier to land.

In the flying article, they comment that in order to save weight, the
airplane has un-boosted controls. The plane really only lightens up in
control forces at it's design mission. The rest of the time, it takes
a lot of strength and force to move them. Can't imagine that's very
easy after flying for a long mission, now I have to do a strength
workout just to land.

-Kevin
Old March 7th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

sisu1a wrote:
How does the dihedral affect the landing characteristics?

1. Roll stability (or lack thereof)

Why do you want it to be "stable"? Doesn't that prevent you from easily
holding it in a slip? My thought is roll response is important, not
stability.

2. Wingtip clearance

No argument there!

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

P-3 landing with the sun behind it Pensacola Beachcomber Aviation Photos 0 April 4th 08 05:04 PM
landing Fabio Aviation Photos 0 January 12th 08 12:11 AM
Mig-15 landing again Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 April 12th 07 01:52 PM
A Jet Blue Aircraft Landing with Sideway Landing-Gear Lufthansi Piloting 18 July 19th 06 05:13 AM
A Jet Blue Aircraft Landing with Sideway Landing-Gear Hansi Instrument Flight Rules 1 July 17th 06 04:01 AM