LK8000 Portrait mode in PC sim mode

Old December 26th 11, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

Default LK8000 Portrait mode in PC sim mode

Hi Kirk
for example, if you are using north up mode it doesnt matter how the
screen is oriented.

Stand by for the 3.0 due in a few weeks now!

paolo

"kirk.stant" ha scritto nel messaggio
For the life of me I do not understand why anyone would want to run a
moving map in landscape. I don't care what is to the side of me - I
want to see what is in FRONT of me!

Old December 26th 11, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

"kirk.stant" ha scritto nel ...
For the life of me I do not understand why anyone would want to run a
moving map in landscape. *I don't care what is to the side of me - I
want to see what is in FRONT of me!

I just this week decided to try out LK8000. I traditionally use Soar
Pilot and have some experience with XCSoar. What a great surprise
LK8000 is! I look forward to installing it on my Mio 400 when it
arrives.

Lane
XF
Old December 27th 11, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

"kirk.stant" ha scritto nel ...
For the life of me I do not understand why anyone would want to run a
moving map in landscape. *I don't care what is to the side of me - I
want to see what is in FRONT of me!

Paolo, north up makes even less sense most of the time!

To me (and I used to navigate planes for a living so I'm a bit biased)
the only orientation that really makes sense is Heading up -
especially if there is a lot of crosswind. I want the map to mirror
what is outside the cockpit, and with track up and a crosswind, it's
possible for a feature in the distance (mountain, for example) to be
on one side of the map centerline, but on the other side of the
canopy, due to the glider's crab angle.

For this to be useful, of course, you need a good indication of the
actual ground track, so you can adjust your heading accordingly.

This, naturally, is how I have SYM configured in my glider.

Keep up the good work on LK8000 - It's starting to look real
interesting.

Cheers,

Kirk
Old December 27th 11, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, December 26, 2011 7:07:26 PM UTC-5, kirk.stant wrote:
On Dec 26, 11:40*am, "PCool" wrote:
To me (and I used to navigate planes for a living so I'm a bit biased)
the only orientation that really makes sense is Heading up -
especially if there is a lot of crosswind. I want the map to mirror
what is outside the cockpit, and with track up and a crosswind, it's
possible for a feature in the distance (mountain, for example) to be
on one side of the map centerline, but on the other side of the
canopy, due to the glider's crab angle.

"Heading Up" does not match what you see out the cockpit with crosswind.
That is why ILEC SN10 does "nose up", matching your view...

Hope that's clear !
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"
Old December 27th 11, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

I use Trackup with north up above 7km zoom. This is like SYM is working, and
I did it the same.
In landscape mode most people prefer to use north smart, with LK.
North smart is like north up, but the glider is repositioned automatically
to make more space in front of it on the moving map.
But I guess it is a matter of personal preference, and if you are used to
portrait mode you can use it in LK too, in fact it is fully supported of
course.

best

Old December 27th 11, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Dec 26, 11:40*am, "PCool" wrote:
To me (and I used to navigate planes for a living so I'm a bit biased)
the only orientation that really makes sense is Heading up -
especially if there is a lot of crosswind. *I want the map to mirror
what is outside the cockpit, and with track up and a crosswind, it's
possible for a feature in the distance (mountain, for example) to be
on one side of the map centerline, but on the other side of the
canopy, due to the glider's crab angle.

"Heading Up" does not match what you see out the cockpit with crosswind.
That is why ILEC SN10 does "nose up", matching your view...

Hope that's clear !
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

Uh, Dave, heading up and nose up are the same thing. Heading (which
way the pointy end is pointed, and read on the drippy compass thingy)
adjusted for the drift due to a crosswind is Track. Track up and Nose
up are only the same if there is either no wind, or the wind is a
direct tail or headwind.

Exaggerated example - I've got 30 degrees of drift to the right. My
goal is a mountain peak in the distance, and I've adjusted my heading
(which way my nose is pointing) 30 degrees to the left to compensate
for the drift, and my track is now directly towards the mountain.
Looking out the cockpit, the mountain is 30 degrees right of the
nose. If my map is Track Up, it shows the mountain directly ahead.
If the map is Heading up, it shows the mountain 30 degrees to the
right (matching my view out the window). Hopefully with a Track Line
showing that I'm going the right direction!

GPS navigators typically only present Track, because they have no way
of knowing heading without a compass input from the plane. Or, given
a wind, they can "back-in" heading by subtracting drift from track to
get heading.

Nav lesson for the day is now over - back to football!

Cheers,

Kirk
Old December 27th 11, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Right, sorry, misread "heading" as "GPS track",
need more coffee...
See ya, Dave
Old December 27th 11, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Dec 27, 7:34*am, Dave Nadler wrote:
Right, sorry, misread "heading" as "GPS track",
need more coffee...
See ya, Dave

Mmmm coffee good ;^)

Kirk
Old December 27th 11, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

To each their own, but for me landscape mode makes less sense than the
new menu system in Word 2007, ie, none. As Kirk said, the map should
show me where I'm going, not stuff off to the sides. IMO, soaring XC
isn't a sightseeing trip, it's an effort to get somewhere. My $0.02,
YMMV of course.

I'd like to thank Paolo for all of his efforts for bringing the
soaring community LK8000. Well done! I'm looking forward to
investigating version 3 in Jan 2012.

-John
Old December 28th 11, 10:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_2_]

At 15:29 27 December 2011, jcarlyle wrote:
To each their own, but for me landscape mode makes less sense than the
new menu system in Word 2007, ie, none. As Kirk said, the map should
show me where I'm going, not stuff off to the sides. IMO, soaring XC
isn't a sightseeing trip, it's an effort to get somewhere. My $0.02,
YMMV of course.

I'd like to thank Paolo for all of his efforts for bringing the
soaring community LK8000. Well done! I'm looking forward to
investigating version 3 in Jan 2012.

-John

Let's not forget that Paolo originated LK8000 to use car navigators,
initially the iPAQ 31* series. These were, and are, landscape, but as they
are mainly used track up in cars, portrait would have made more sense.
When flying, it all depends on which way you are going, and whether you fly
N Up, Track Up, or any of the many other possibilities. I like North Up,
because that is how I look at those paper things, so going N/S I've got
less in front with landscape, but more when going E/W. But it is a MOVING
map, so keeps pace with you, and is scaleable.
IMHO landscape suits the data display, both on the map and dedicated pages,
but it's a personal thing, if you don't like it that way, change it!
The other thing to do, is move the glider icon to near the bottom of the
screen and use North Smart.
Now who's going to bring out a square display?
Dave

Transponder: Mode-C or Mode-S? Morteza Ansari Soaring 27 April 17th 19 05:02 AM
Mode S overload cfinn Soaring 4 September 30th 09 09:07 AM
mode c intermittent skyav8r Owning 0 September 4th 08 01:32 AM
New transponder mode S vs. mode C Tom N. Soaring 39 November 7th 06 07:40 AM
Mode S questoin JerryK Instrument Flight Rules 1 July 17th 03 09:56 PM