LK8000 Portrait mode in PC sim mode

Old December 28th 11, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default LK8000 Portrait mode in PC sim mode

On Dec 28, 5:33 am, David Salmon wrote:
At 15:29 27 December 2011, jcarlyle wrote:To each their own, but for me landscape mode makes less sense than the
new menu system in Word 2007, ie, none. As Kirk said, the map should
show me where I'm going, not stuff off to the sides. IMO, soaring XC
isn't a sightseeing trip, it's an effort to get somewhere. My $0.02,
YMMV of course.

I'd like to thank Paolo for all of his efforts for bringing the
soaring community LK8000. Well done! I'm looking forward to
investigating version 3 in Jan 2012.

-John

Let's not forget that Paolo originated LK8000 to use car navigators,
initially the iPAQ 31* series. These were, and are, landscape, but as they
are mainly used track up in cars, portrait would have made more sense.
When flying, it all depends on which way you are going, and whether you fly
N Up, Track Up, or any of the many other possibilities. I like North Up,
because that is how I look at those paper things, so going N/S I've got
less in front with landscape, but more when going E/W. But it is a MOVING
map, so keeps pace with you, and is scaleable.
IMHO landscape suits the data display, both on the map and dedicated pages,
but it's a personal thing, if you don't like it that way, change it!
The other thing to do, is move the glider icon to near the bottom of the
screen and use North Smart.
Now who's going to bring out a square display?
Dave

I really can't see how you could like navigating a plane using North
Up. I started out doing that when I was a car rally navigator, but
quickly learned that the driver liked hearing a crisp "Left", didn't
like "Uhhh....left", and absolutely hated "Left...I mean, right".
Those problems vanished when I started rotating the map to match the
car's track. Using Track Up you "know" which way to go, instead of
having to "think" which way to go, because you don't have to match up
two frames of reference. In soaring, the same intuitive matching of
map with landscape using Track Up helps me to easily determine if
those clouds are on my way to the turnpoint or involve a big detour,
and gives me more time to make other decisions.

As far as using landscape mode because some idiot in China decided to
make car navigators that way, why should we perpetuate an error? It's
easy to change, and besides, a vertical screen fits into a tight
cockpit better.

-John
Old December 28th 11, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

On Dec 28, 9:04*am, jcarlyle wrote:
[...]

Does the portrait mode support the bottom info bar as well? I
currently get six data fields in the bottom bar. Are you guys getting
the same in portrait mode?

Lane
XF
Old December 28th 11, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

On Dec 28, 9:09 am, lanebush wrote:
Does the portrait mode support the bottom info bar as well? I
currently get six data fields in the bottom bar. Are you guys getting
the same in portrait mode?

Lane

Affirmative.

-John

Transponder: Mode-C or Mode-S? Morteza Ansari Soaring 27 April 17th 19 05:02 AM
Mode S overload cfinn Soaring 4 September 30th 09 09:07 AM
mode c intermittent skyav8r Owning 0 September 4th 08 01:32 AM
New transponder mode S vs. mode C Tom N. Soaring 39 November 7th 06 07:40 AM
Mode S questoin JerryK Instrument Flight Rules 1 July 17th 03 09:56 PM