First Visit to Minden questions

Old December 30th 11, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Ittner[_2_]

Default First Visit to Minden questions

"jcarlyle" wrote in message
Aaron,

You probably know this, but on the off chance you don't understand why
the previous two posters were stressing driving in snow in the Sierras
to someone raised in ski country back East, google the Donner Party.

John, I abhor the implication that California is a haven for cannibalism. It
is well known that we now have the problem relatively under control.

P7 unit

Old December 30th 11, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

On Dec 30, 5:34 pm, "Gary Ittner" wrote:
"jcarlyle" wrote in message

Aaron,

You probably know this, but on the off chance you don't understand why
the previous two posters were stressing driving in snow in the Sierras
to someone raised in ski country back East, google the Donner Party.

John, I abhor the implication that California is a haven for cannibalism. It
is well known that we now have the problem relatively under control.

P7 unit

Gary,

As a native San Franciscan (who moved some 62 years ago), I'm glad to
learn that the state has progressed in the last 164 years. Seriously,
I only wanted to point out that snow in the Sierras is not a triffling
matter and needs to be treated with respect.

-John
Old December 30th 11, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 12/30/2011 3:34 PM, Gary Ittner wrote:
wrote in message
Aaron,

You probably know this, but on the off chance you don't understand why
the previous two posters were stressing driving in snow in the Sierras
to someone raised in ski country back East, google the Donner Party.

John, I abhor the implication that California is a haven for cannibalism. It
is well known that we now have the problem relatively under control.

P7 unit

California has company.

Colorado has its own fine tradition of 19th century cannibalism, although not
without diversionary controversy: Alfred G. "Alferd" Packer.

With fine undergraduate sensibilities, CU's campus cafeteria has long been
named the "Alferd G. Packer Memorial Grill". (Motto: "Have a friend for
lunch!") Minor research may prove illuminatory...

Old December 30th 11, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S. Murry

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 17:14:04 -0600, jcarlyle wrote:

Gary,

As a native San Franciscan (who moved some 62 years ago), I'm glad to
learn that the state has progressed in the last 164 years. Seriously,
I only wanted to point out that snow in the Sierras is not a triffling
matter and needs to be treated with respect.

-John

Ohh, I assumed that you meant that you should always bring friends along
when driving to Minden in the winter. Thanks for the clarification.

--Stefan
Old December 31st 11, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

Was it Barbara Streisand that sang... "People who eat people, are the
luckiest people in the world."

Old December 31st 11, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 16:07:50 -0800, akiley wrote:

Was it Barbara Streisand that sang... "People who eat people, are the
luckiest people in the world."

My favourite song about that subject is "The Reluctant Cannibal" by
Michael Flanders and Donald Swann.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old December 31st 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

On Dec 30, 7:16*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 16:07:50 -0800, akiley wrote:
Was it Barbara Streisand that sang... "People who eat people, are the
luckiest people in the world."

My favourite song about that subject is "The Reluctant Cannibal" by
Michael Flanders and Donald Swann.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org * * * |

Unbelievable, never heard that but it was available on YouTube. Now I
know where Derek and Clive came from, one of my favorites.

....Aaron
Old December 31st 11, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 16:33:47 -0800, akiley wrote:

On Dec 30, 7:16Â*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
My favourite song about that subject is "The Reluctant Cannibal" by
Michael Flanders and Donald Swann.

Unbelievable, never heard that but it was available on YouTube. Now I
know where Derek and Clive came from, one of my favorites.

Derek & Clyde were distinctly rough trade compared with Flanders & Swann.
They were (imitating) drunk proles where F&S were clever song writers and
performers. Think PDQ Bach, Victor Borge and Allan Sherman for
equivalents on your side of the Pond.

Flanders & Swann were famous in the late 50s/early 60s. Best known song,
which you may know, was "Hippopotamus" (with the "Mud, mud, glorious mud"
chorus). If you want more, look for the "At The Drop of a Hat" album.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old December 31st 11, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

On Dec 30, 6:31 pm, "S. Murry" wrote:
Ohh, I assumed that you meant that you should always bring friends along
when driving to Minden in the winter. Thanks for the clarification.

--Stefan

Thanks for the excellent example of why assuming is unwise.
-John

Old December 31st 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S. Murry

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 20:30:37 -0600, jcarlyle wrote:

On Dec 30, 6:31 pm, "S. Murry" wrote:
Ohh, I assumed that you meant that you should always bring friends along
when driving to Minden in the winter. Thanks for the clarification.

--Stefan

Thanks for the excellent example of why assuming is unwise.
-John

Just to be on the safe side, I think I'll bring friends and a 4x4 if I
ever go to Minden...that way I'll be covered in any eventuality.

Happy New Year!

--
Stefan Murry

Planning a Minden Vacation?-Rating? Soar Minden Block Time FS SAVE SOME MONEY! [email protected] Soaring 1 January 27th 06 07:16 PM
ATC visit questions?? (Operation rain check) [email protected] Piloting 28 October 30th 05 11:23 PM
Boston Visit PaulH Piloting 8 August 22nd 04 03:38 PM
Mig-29 questions & general aviation questions 2003 Steven Military Aviation 1 October 20th 03 06:06 AM
Visit the price of war ArtKramr Military Aviation 0 July 7th 03 02:48 PM