Manual

Old January 17th 12, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bish

Default Manual

Hi
I have to bring the owner manual when I fly my LS 6.
I have a copy on a memory key. Is it acceptable?
Regards
S6
Old January 17th 12, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

On Jan 17, 4:40 pm, bish wrote:
Hi
I have to bring the owner manual when I fly my LS 6.
I have a copy on a memory key. Is it acceptable?
Regards
S6

I don't know for certain, but I'd guess that the FAA would say if you
can't read it on the spot, anywhere, anytime, it isn't acceptable. I
printed my LS8 manual out double sided with 4 pages on each surface of
a 8.5 by 11 sheet, and I carry that. It's a bit small, but very
readable. I also carry a PDF copy of the manual on my iPhone. Good
luck!

-John
Old January 18th 12, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Jan 17, 3:56*pm, jcarlyle wrote:
On Jan 17, 4:40 pm, bish wrote:

Hi
I have to bring the owner manual when I fly my LS 6.
I have a copy on a memory key. Is it *acceptable?
Regards
S6

I don't know for certain, but I'd guess that the FAA would say if you
can't read it on the spot, anywhere, anytime, it isn't acceptable. I
printed my LS8 manual out double sided with 4 pages on each surface of
a 8.5 by 11 sheet, and I carry that. It's a bit small, but very
readable. I also carry a PDF copy of the manual on my iPhone. Good
luck!

-John

I took my manual to a Kinkos and had them reduce copy it at about 1/4
size, then laminated the front and back covers, and spiral bound the
little thing. Now small enough to stick anywhere in the cockpit, and
still fully usable.

It's lasted over 10 years stuck in the pouch that comes with the
LS6...

Kirk
66
Old January 18th 12, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

On Jan 17, 4:40 pm, bish wrote:

[...]

You know that in the US the manual is not required to be on board if
the limitations are properly marked via placards and decals.

XF
Old January 18th 12, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I don't think I ever carried the manual in my LS-6, but I know that it would
easily slip behind the seat. Seriously, if you need to be reading the
manual in flight, you shouldn't be flying...

Old January 18th 12, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

You know that in the US the manual is not required to be on board if
the limitations are properly marked via placards and decals.

XF

That's news to me! Last I read, if it was listed in the TCDS or if the
manual (POH) said it had to be in the glider, then it needs to be in
the glider regardless of what is placarded. And the POH specifies the
minimum placards.

Old January 18th 12, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 1/17/2012 6:48 PM, T wrote:

You know that in the US the manual is not required to be on board if
the limitations are properly marked via placards and decals.

XF

That's news to me! Last I read, if it was listed in the TCDS or if the
manual (POH) said it had to be in the glider, then it needs to be in
the glider regardless of what is placarded. And the POH specifies the
minimum placards.

I've been flying gliders in the US since 1976, and I don't recall having
the manual on board ever being a safety or enforcement issue. Does
anyone know of an incident involving having a manual on board?

email me)
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old January 18th 12, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

On Jan 17, 9:55 pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I've been flying gliders in the US since 1976, and I don't recall having
the manual on board ever being a safety or enforcement issue. Does
anyone know of an incident involving having a manual on board?

It turns out that the LS8 manual is listed on the Minimum Equipment
list, in an approved section of the manual. Since in 4-up format it
only measures 4.25 by 5.5 inches, weighs just a few ounces, and
disappears in the pouch behind the seat, it's easy to carry it. Why
risk exposing yourself to bureaucratic grief over something that
inconsequential? Even if the lack of a manual hasn't been the subject
of a safety or enforcement action in the US yet, Mr. Murphy never
rests...

-John
Old January 18th 12, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
aerodyne

"T" is correct. Check the TCDS and the AFM. I would not be suprised
if they say an "approved copy" of the AFM must be carried on board,
and accessible to the pilot. That would eliminate reduced size or
electronic copies in my "book".

That said, do what is safe, then try to be legal. Know the difference
and consequences of the Rules of Nature vs the Rules of Man!
Old January 18th 12, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Jan 17, 6:55*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 1/17/2012 6:48 PM, T wrote:

You know that in the US the manual is not required to be on board if
the limitations are properly marked via placards and decals.

XF

That's news to me! Last I read, if it was listed in the TCDS or if the
manual (POH) said it had to be in the glider, then it needs to be in
the glider regardless of what is placarded. And the POH specifies the
minimum placards.

I've been flying gliders in the US since 1976, and I don't recall having
the manual on board ever being a safety or enforcement issue. Does
anyone know of an incident involving having a manual on board?

email me)
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

I know the LS4 and most LS are probably included, also the Grob 103
Twin II require the POH in the glider.
Never know when the ramp check agent will show up.

G 103 Manual Charlie Papa Soaring 2 June 8th 09 10:12 AM
FA: B-737 OPERATIONS MANUAL - Ops Manual for a B-737 Jet Peter Aviation Marketplace 0 December 28th 04 02:08 AM
Manual PA-46 Gerard Ververs Instrument Flight Rules 0 November 23rd 04 08:50 PM
Manual PA-46 Gerard Ververs Products 0 November 22nd 04 11:41 PM
LX1000 Manual & Speed Astir Manual Avron Tal Soaring 1 June 20th 04 07:15 AM