PIREP for DG purchase please

Old March 30th 04, 02:53 PM
Roger Long

Default PIREP for DG purchase please

We need to buy a new DG for our 172 N immediately. Any PIREP's on a good
place to buy (or avoid) much appreciated.

--
Roger Long

Old March 30th 04, 07:40 PM
Stu Gotts

Spruce.

Old March 31st 04, 02:17 PM
Otis Winslow

I've had good luck with Aircraft Quality Instruments in Wichita. I haven't
purchased new .. just had them ship me a rebuilt one .. and then shipped
the old one back after replacement.

On the flip side .. I bought a plane that had one in it from the Gyro House
and
it went south 60hrs after they rebuilt it. One of their excuses was that
dust
from the vanes in the vacuum pump was probably getting in it. Huh?

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...

Old April 1st 04, 02:45 AM
Stu Gotts

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:17:57 GMT, "Otis Winslow"
wrote:

I've had good luck with Aircraft Quality Instruments in Wichita. I haven't
purchased new .. just had them ship me a rebuilt one .. and then shipped
the old one back after replacement.

On the flip side .. I bought a plane that had one in it from the Gyro House
and
it went south 60hrs after they rebuilt it. One of their excuses was that
dust
from the vanes in the vacuum pump was probably getting in it. Huh?

That's their standard answer for the **** they do. BUT --- the gyro
can easily be damaged in transit if not packed properly. I once
bought a new instrument from King. It came in a box that was
18X13X13, all foam inside. The new gyros don't come that well
insulated. And, take a tip from those who ship expensive and/or
unreplaceable guitars by UPS. They always use Next Day Air or Two Day
Air. It's proven that the handling is much better.

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...

Old April 1st 04, 12:19 PM
Dan Thompson

I took a tour of a UPS sorting facility once. Standard procedure was to
throw the boxes against a wall under the bins so they would drop in the
correct bins, like a backboard shot in basketball.

Old April 1st 04, 12:30 PM
Dan Thompson

What I would do if you have time is fly to the location where the gyro
repair facility is located, and have them, or a shop on that field they
recommend, do the remove and install. I did that with an attitude indicator
once, had to fly about 150 miles and spend a few hours, but the instrument
worked perfectly for years and was still going when I sold that plane.
Doing it that way eliminates the possiblity of shipping damage. Also if the
instrument is DOA you can just go get another one right quick. And if the
instrument fails long before it should, it keeps the instrument house from
blaming UPS or the bozo installer, the installer blaming the crappy
instrument house or UPS, etc. etc.

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...

Old April 1st 04, 03:56 PM
Ray Andraka

Exactly! That's why I spend a little more than mail order to get a local (half
hour flight) gyro rebuilder to do it instead. Last week when I posted the
prices, someone said I was bing ripped off.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old April 1st 04, 08:58 PM
Peter Clark

They were training people at the time, right? Trying to convince them
that fragile (pronounced fra-jil-e) is really Italian for "throw at
wall hard"?

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 11:19:36 GMT, "Dan Thompson"
wrote:

I took a tour of a UPS sorting facility once. Standard procedure was to
throw the boxes against a wall under the bins so they would drop in the
correct bins, like a backboard shot in basketball.
.. .

Old April 1st 04, 09:01 PM
Russell Kent

Dan Thompson wrote:

I took a tour of a UPS sorting facility once. Standard procedure was to
throw the boxes against a wall under the bins so they would drop in the
correct bins, like a backboard shot in basketball.

I'm still trying to figure out how the boxes, once thrown at the wall *under*
the bins, will fall *up* into the bins... Maybe it's an April 1st thing? Or
were you touring a Australia-based facility?

vbg

Russell Kent