Kite flying

Old April 18th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Kite flying

I saw a few kids flying kites over the weekend. It occurred to me: What
if they were flying the kites real high in the vicinity of GA airports? I
don't think there are any laws about kite flying off airport property.

Old April 18th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Wow, how high were they flying those kits? 100 feet would seem quite
high for a kite. Maybe I'm wrong here.

-Robert

Old April 18th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Some kites have up to 500 feet of line or more.
mike s

Old April 18th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You might put 500 feet of line on the kite, but the catenary will not let it
go that high. I'd guess the 100 foot high would be really up there in terms
of kites.

oups.com...

Old April 18th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skylune" wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
I saw a few kids flying kites over the weekend. It occurred to me: What
if they were flying the kites real high in the vicinity of GA airports? I
don't think there are any laws about kite flying off airport property.

Follow this link

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...24486,0.039911

you see that area between Airport Dr. and the SW-NE runway? It was full of
kids flying kites this weekend and not a thing happened.

You really need to stop thinking of ways airplanes will crash. Some day it
will get you on a TSA list.

Old April 18th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

People often fly kites from a state park adjacent to my local airport.
There are signs, though, prohibiting kites from the area along the
runway centerline.

They even have kite festivals there... and I've passed kites while
flying at 1200' (though participants in the festival are *supposed* to
stay below 500').

-Dana

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Wow, how high were they flying those kits? 100 feet would seem quite
high for a kite. Maybe I'm wrong here.

-Robert

If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
When I was born I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half.
Old April 18th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skylune" wrote:
I saw a few kids flying kites over the weekend. It occurred to me:
What if they were flying the kites real high in the vicinity of GA
airports? I don't think there are any laws about kite flying off
airport property.

There are laws that cover kite flying under certain conditions - airports
are in fact covered by the regs. Relevant regs are in FAR part 101
"Moored balloons, kites, unmanned rockets and unmanned free balloons".

Quotes from some specific sections (see the FAR for the entire section):

"§ 101.13 Operating limitations.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may
operate a moored balloon or kite—

(1) Less than 500 feet from the base of any cloud;

(2) More than 500 feet above the surface of the earth;

(3) From an area where the ground visibility is less than three miles; or

(4) Within five miles of the boundary of any airport.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to the operation of a
balloon or kite below the top of any structure and within 250 feet of it,
if that shielded operation does not obscure any lighting on the
structure."

§ 101.15 Notice requirements.
No person may operate an unshielded moored balloon or kite more than 150
feet above the surface of the earth unless, at least 24 hours before
beginning the operation, he gives the following information to the FAA
ATC facility that is nearest to the place of intended operation:

(a) The names and addresses of the owners and operators.

(b) The size of the balloon or the size and weight of the kite.

(c) The location of the operation.

(d) The height above the surface of the earth at which the balloon or
kite is to be operated.

(e) The date, time, and duration of the operation.

§ 101.17 Lighting and marking requirements.
(a) No person may operate a moored balloon or kite, between sunset and
sunrise unless the balloon or kite, and its mooring lines, are lighted so
as to give a visual warning equal to that required for obstructions to
air navigation in the FAA publication “Obstruction Marking and Lighting”.

(b) No person may operate a moored balloon or kite between sunrise and
sunset unless its mooring lines have colored pennants or streamers
attached at not more than 50 foot intervals beginning at 150 feet above
the surface of the earth and visible for at least one mile. "
Old April 18th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Well I don't know about the folks in your area, but when I was a kid I had a
box kite I rescued from the surplus store. It was part of the antenna from
a life raft (came complete with instructions for connecting to a hand
cranked SOS transmitter). We had around a mile of heavy lacing cord on a
reel that helped us crank the kite up into the air. When all the cord was
released, we could just barely see the kite which was orange cloth on an
aluminum tube collapsible frame.

Come to think of it, I think I still have that kite. Fun 50 years ago. We
had no idea that we might be doing something illegal. Thanks for bringing
back the memory.

John Severyn
@KLVK

oups.com...

Old April 18th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

lkaboutaviation.com...

Old April 18th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Google found it. This kite would really sail. Gibson Girl.
http://robroy.dyndns.info/targetkites/Mike/gibson01.jpg
A thousand feet up was easy for this kite.
John Severyn
@KLVK