Grand Canyon overflight proposal

Old April 21st 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Grand Canyon overflight proposal

You are only thinking of the visitors centers, where it is not peaceful
(except in the dead of winter). But there is much more to the Canyon
than that. There are countless assessable areas where one will not
encounter another human being in a day. The sound of quiet is amazing,
particularly when combined with the view, and aircraft noise is
unwelcome. When you add up all these places, there are a lot of people
enjoying them.

Peter Duniho wrote:

To me (as I mentioned in a different post), the Grand Canyon is simply not
where you go for "peace and quiet".

Old April 21st 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"RomeoMike" wrote in message
news
You are only thinking of the visitors centers

I am not. Crowds disrupting the natural peace and quiet can be found in
many other areas.

It is simply unreasonable to expect one to find peace and quiet in a
destination as popular as the Grand Canyon. There is no shortage of truly
peaceful and quiet places in the US where people seeking that can go.
Trying to turn the Grand Canyon into that is not reasonable.

Pete

Old April 21st 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

May be unreasonable to you, but I visit such places regularly.

Old April 21st 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Here is my take, having been to the Canyon three times in the last ten
years...

- Ban all private vehicles, as is done in Denali. Air pollution is at an
all time high in national parks such as Yellowstone, GC, Yosemite. Why
is the no-aircraft noise group not up in arms about the harmful
chemical pollution of the air in our national parks?
- The park service just opened more permits for rafters through the
canyon. Given the delicate sites on the river, permits should have
been decreased, using the logic of the no-noise supporters.
- Who is funding the anti-aircraft noise drive? Follow the money.
The outfitters and campgrounds surrounding the park, most likely.
The air charter flights are based miles away, they don't contribute to
the local economy.
Old April 21st 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It is simply unreasonable to expect one to find peace and quiet in a
destination as popular as the Grand Canyon. There is no shortage of truly
peaceful and quiet places in the US where people seeking that can go.
Trying to turn the Grand Canyon into that is not reasonable.

It is possible to drive ten (or 50, or 100) miles out of Iowa City, on
a beautiful late summer day, find an unused dirt road, park your car,
and walk deep into a corn field -- just like in the movie "Field of
Dreams".

You may then sit down in the blessed shade of 10-foot tall corn, open a
cold pop, and listen to the wind blowing in the tassles. For those
brief, wonderful moments, you will hear the blood pumping in your
veins, and not much else -- and you won't have to interact with anyone.

You will, in fact, be surrounded by 5000 square miles of corn, in
absolute, complete isolation.

The view isn't great, but it's wonderful, nonetheless.

But I wouldn't be so foolish as to demand that kind of auditory
experience at one of the most popular national parks in the world. How
rude!

(And what's REALLY amazing, and sooooo typical, is that overflight
opponents are trying to frame the debate, and pervert the argument, so
that anyone who opposes them looks rude!!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 21st 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"RomeoMike" wrote in message
It is simply unreasonable to expect one to find peace and quiet in a
destination as popular as the Grand Canyon.

May be unreasonable to you, but I visit such places regularly.

"Such places"? Meaning what?

You cannot find peace and quiet in a popular destination. The two are
mutually exclusive. If you find peace and quiet, then by definition you are
in a place that is not popular.

Pete

Old April 21st 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

No, I wasn't overlooking this issue. As a matter of fact
this would be the issue. Keeping the price high would
cut down the number of overhead visitors. Businesses would not go out
of business
because they don't have one currently. If you didn't limit the days or
time, everybody with 41 hours would be over the canyon every minute of
every day. Make it expensive, it's expensive go by boat, With boats
there are only so many permits per year and it works.
Lou

Old April 21st 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Places like Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite,
etc. are just one step away from being as bad as Disney Land. To argue that
aircraft, of all things, are what are ruining the peaceful experience is
just ridiculous.

Perhaps at the visitor center, but you go out a ways and you can find
peace and quiet. There is a self-filtering going on - those who want to
experience peace and quiet badly enough can do so. It involves getting
away from people, and that is what the national parks are all about.

Alas, the hoi polloi don't know the difference, and stay at the
visitors' center and think they've been to Yosemite. Those that care,
hike away from the crowds and get to see the park the way nature
intended it to be expereienced. (*)

It's not meant to be easy, otherwise they'd put a freeway through it.

Jose
(*) ok, a little poetic lice... er.. certificate.
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
Old April 21st 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Meaning a place within the boundaries of the Grand Canyon National Park
from which the canyon itself is visible and where you are unlikely to
encounter anyone else, and if you did encounter another person it would
be easy to move off away from him and enjoy solitude. I never said it
had to be popular in the sense of a lot of people being there. I just
said there are places in the Grand Canyon that are beautiful, quiet and
without people. Is that plain enough?

Peter Duniho wrote:

"Such places"? Meaning what?