mobile phones

Old March 4th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter[_4_]

Default mobile phones

What is the maximum altitude (about) when the mobile phone becomes useless?
PeterK

Old March 4th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

On Mar 4, 4:37 pm, "Peter" wrote:
What is the maximum altitude (about) when the mobile phone becomes useless?
PeterK

I've had it ring at 2500'agl at which point I told whoever (my wife
and curtly too) that I was busy flying and then shut it off (I forgot
to shut it off prior to launch). If many consider it unsafe to drive
and talk, why do it in the air?

Old March 4th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Ash

chipsoars wrote:
On Mar 4, 4:37 pm, "Peter" wrote:
What is the maximum altitude (about) when the mobile phone becomes useless?
PeterK

I've had it ring at 2500'agl at which point I told whoever (my wife
and curtly too) that I was busy flying and then shut it off (I forgot
to shut it off prior to launch). If many consider it unsafe to drive
and talk, why do it in the air?

There was a study* done on cell phone use in airliners which determined
that an average of 1-4 calls are made on each commercial flight in the
northeast US. If you can get a signal at 35,000 feet inside an aluminum
spam can, I'm sure you can get one just about anywhere in your glider.

* Briefly mentioned on http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06060/662669.stm , I
didn't find the original study.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old March 4th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Depends on the type of cell phone (2d generation, 3GPP etc) and where
you're flying.

My phone (model LG 8300) with Verizon service stops working in central
Arizona above pattern altitude. But it works great in the boonies of
Nevada all the way up to the 17,999'.

~ted/2NO

Old March 4th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jeplane

The answer to your question will depend on what type of phone you
operate, the area you are in, or even the type of airplane, which
might interfere with reception.

However, you should not forget that the use of cell phones aboard
airborne aircrafts is banned by the FCC in 47 C.F.R. § 22.925:
(Oct 1, 2006 revision) states "Cellular telephones installed in or
carried aboard airplanes, balloons or any other type of aircraft must
not be operated while such aircraft are airborne. When any aircraft
leaves the ground, all cellular telephones on board that aircraft must
be turned off."

Richard
ASW19
Phoenix AZ

Old March 4th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

chipsoars wrote:
On Mar 4, 4:37 pm, "Peter" wrote:
What is the maximum altitude (about) when the mobile phone becomes
useless? PeterK

It varies enormously in the USA. My experience is the closer I get to a
big city, the lower I have to be to get a signal, maybe 3000' agl. In
the country, I've used it at 15,000' agl during wave flights. My
explanation is the smaller cells and lower powers used in areas with a
lot of people just don't reach upwards very high.

I've had it ring at 2500'agl at which point I told whoever (my wife
and curtly too) that I was busy flying and then shut it off (I forgot
to shut it off prior to launch). If many consider it unsafe to
drive and talk,

Driving requires constant attention because obstacles are so close to
you, like oncoming traffic and the ditch beside the road. This isn't
true for most glider flying. So, it's easier to do safely.

why do it in the air?

I usually do it because I can't reach my crew on the radio; e.g., my
radio or theirs has failed, I am too far away, or there's a mountain in
the way. Recently, our local ASOS was off the air but it still reported
over it's phone number - most pilots dialed it up when they were inbound
for a landing.

I don't suggest using it to chit-chat, or when you need to concentrate
on flying the glider, but if it will significantly improve your safety,
it seems like a good use of the phone.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old March 5th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I really wish I could carry my cell phone and use in flight as safety
backup to contact the glider port etc. if out of radio range. But all
that space taken up by the paper copies of the FCC and FAA CFR's just
does not leave space for my cell phone in the cockpit... :-)

Darryl

Old March 5th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

If many consider it unsafe to drive
and talk, why do it in the air?

Well, I don't but, some would answer because it is unusual to be passing
obstructions at high speed an arms length away in a glider - gaggles not
withstanding.

Tony V.
Old March 5th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter[_4_]

While sitting around yesterday morning sipping coffee with the Caracole
group(Cal City), the conversation came up again about the use of mobile
phones as an alternate to radio communications namely when we loose them.
Most of us that fly cross country may have experienced this phenomena and it
is a rather lonely feeling when for example we fly over the decollate Nevada
sky and our crews are trying to follow us through rugged mountains.This loss
of contact may cause us to land prematurely as this is the responsible thing
to do in respect to the crew when we lose total contact. I admit have tried
to use my mobile phone (voice) while flying in the passed but never with
much success.
But than Cindy Brickner (once again) comes up with this idea of text
messaging! As far as I understand her thoughts correctly ( I never sent a
text message in my life), if the pilot or crew sends a short text message
even if there is just a week signal the message will go through in a matter
of second. The same way as soon as there is the slightest signal on their
other end it will be received.
I am certainly not advocating this method as an everyday remedy but
certainly would be better than calling out on 121.5 for assistance and maybe
alarming a bunch of folks (as I read previously onR.A.S.) I would like your
thoughts once again. PeterK
"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Old March 5th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Both text messages and some 911 calls will go through with much weaker
signals than needed to complete a regular call.

911 operators will relay non-emergency messages if you explain the
problem.

Mike