What the difference between the

Old April 2nd 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

Default What the difference between the

GNS 480 and the 430. My Bonanza has a MX 20 and I was told I should hook it
up to a 480.

Old April 2nd 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 1, 8:56 pm, "Aluckyguess" wrote:
GNS 480 and the 430. My Bonanza has a MX 20 and I was told I should hook it
up to a 480.

Just a couple of differences. The 480 has airways, the 430 does not.
The 480 allows for user defined holds, the 430 does not. The 480
sequences procedure holds, the 430 "suspends" in holds. The 430 has
easy to use comm/nav knobs for easy access to the radios, the 480 does
not.

Old April 2nd 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

GNS 480 and the 430. My Bonanza has a MX 20 and I was told I should hook
it
up to a 480.

Just a couple of differences. The 480 has airways, the 430 does not.
The 480 allows for user defined holds, the 430 does not. The 480
sequences procedure holds, the 430 "suspends" in holds. The 430 has
easy to use comm/nav knobs for easy access to the radios, the 480 does
not.

The 430 can display XM satellite weather (with a GDL 69 receiver); the 480
cannot.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 2nd 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

GNS 480 and the 430. My Bonanza has a MX 20 and I was told I should
hook it
up to a 480.

Just a couple of differences. The 480 has airways, the 430 does not.
The 480 allows for user defined holds, the 430 does not. The 480
sequences procedure holds, the 430 "suspends" in holds. The 430 has
easy to use comm/nav knobs for easy access to the radios, the 480 does
not.

The 430 can display XM satellite weather (with a GDL 69 receiver); the 480
cannot.

The MX 20 can display the weather and it is a lot bigger with a better
display.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 2nd 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 4/2/2007 2:28:53 AM, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

The 480
sequences procedure holds, the 430 "suspends" in holds

Is that true for the GNS430 WAAS unit, too?

--
Peter
Old April 2nd 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 2, 7:09 am, "Aluckyguess" wrote:
So the radios are hard to work on the 480? I heard the 480 was a lot harder
to learn

I guess it depends on the pilot. In the 480 you have to be on the
correct page in order to swap nav/com freq etc. The 430 has dedicated
knobs. I think the 430 is a bit more intuitive but if its your
airplane you will learn to use either one. I think the 480's flight
plan is a bit more complicated because you define start and end points
then route, the 430 just assumes the last fix is the end point (i.e.
you bring up the flt plan and see end to end). However, the 480 has
airways. I'm just waiting for the first NTSB report to list the 430's
lack of airways for causing a plane to go into a mountain. In
California our airways bend around mountains, if you just put in two
ends of the airway there may be a mountain in the middle.

-Robert

Old April 2nd 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 2, 8:43 am, "Peter R." wrote:
On 4/2/2007 2:28:53 AM, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

The 480
sequences procedure holds, the 430 "suspends" in holds

Is that true for the GNS430 WAAS unit, too?

--
Peter

I haven't flown or taught in a plane with the WAAS upgrade yet. I
thougth I heard that the procedure holds would auto sequence as part
of the WAAS certification (one of the reasons Garmin bought the 480).
I'm teaching in a G1000 right now and waiting for the WAAS to become
available. The G1000 is almost the same as the 430 right now (the only
real difference is that the G1000 automatically resumes the approach
after the procedure turn, the 430 requires you to unpress the suspend
button).

-Robert

Old April 2nd 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

[...]

I downloaded the simulator and the radio does have a nice function in
remembering 10 of the last radio frequencies. The 480 seems a little similar
to the Apollo 60 that is in the plane already. The 480 will also load the
approach plate on the MX20.
If I can find a deal on a 480 I think I will try it.

Thanks for the help

Old April 2nd 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 2, 1:10 pm, "Aluckyguess" wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

[...]

I think that's what most people find. The 430 is a bit easier to learn
but the 480 is more powerful (or at least featureful).

-Robert

KY197, KY 97 what's the Difference? Roger[_4_] Owning 17 April 12th 07 04:25 AM
What is the difference between... expresstechonsite Home Built 7 June 5th 06 03:00 PM
what a difference! Chris Piloting 3 January 13th 06 12:52 AM
Anyone know the weight difference? Lou Home Built 4 January 5th 06 10:33 PM
Another Canadian difference? Paul Tomblin Instrument Flight Rules 6 October 25th 05 04:04 PM