Gliders in the Grand Canyon

Old June 5th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Gliders in the Grand Canyon

Marty Shapiro writes:

If you had looked it all up you would have known that Tuweep
(L50) has been closed.

It's marked as open on the current chart.
Old June 5th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Mxsmanic wrote:
Marble Canyon is about 45 miles away from the Grand Canyon in Marble Canyon

Marble Canyon is part of the Grand Canyon, and part of the Grand Canyon SFRA.

How is it that I flew into Marble Canyon last year and did not enter the
SFRA? You are completely without a clue.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old June 5th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Marty Shapiro writes:

If you had looked it all up you would have known that Tuweep
(L50) has been closed.

It's marked as open on the current chart.

You're an idiot

Bertie
Old June 5th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

buttman wrote in
oups.com:

On Jun 3, 8:59 am, Richard Riley wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 15:05:06 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

If there were no airspace restrictions, would it be possible/safe to
fly gliders in the Grand Canyon? There's not much of a place to
land in the canyon, of course, but I don't know if there are
thermals or something (?) that would allow a glider to climb back up
out of the canyon after gliding below the rim. Is it possible? Has
anyone done it?

I know. I learned to fly in gliders and flew right seat many times
in a sight-seeing Twin Otter at the canyon.

I won't tell you. From what you've posted previously, you'd only use
my answer as a starting point to insult me, belittle my experience
and claim I don't know what I'm talking about.

OK then, if him asking the question bothers you so much, then how
about if I asked?

If there were no airspace restrictions, would it be possible/safe to
fly
gliders in the Grand Canyon? There's not much of a place to land in
the
canyon, of course, but I don't know if there are thermals or something
(?)
that would allow a glider to climb back up out of the canyon after
gliding
below the rim. Is it possible? Has anyone done it?

And you still call yourself an instrucor?

You should burn your instructor ticket. do it now.

Unbelievable.

Bertie

Old June 5th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

JGalban via AviationKB.com writes:

How is it that I flew into Marble Canyon last year and did not enter the
SFRA?

I suppose it depends on how you define the limits of Marble Canyon. The gorge
is completely contained within the SFRA, but parts of the Grand Canyon as a
whole in the area fall outside of the SFRA (the rim areas, for example).
Old June 5th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old June 5th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

You, and your charts are wrong.

They are not my charts; they are prepared by the Federal government. Surely
you've seen the specific VFR chart for the Grand Canyon SFRA?

It isn't listed at Airnav.com. It isn't listed on any
sectional, let alone the Grand Canyon VFR chart or listed at your
beloved Skyvector.com.

It's on the Las Vegas sectional (which doesn't expire until August), and on
the Grand Canyon SFRA chart (which doesn't have regular cycles), at N
36.301407 W 113.071384. You can see it on Google Maps, and various pilots
have put pictures of it on the Web.

In the face of so much documentary evidence, it is impossible for me to lend
any real credence to your point of view. It's a bit like saying there's no
such place as Los Angeles.

Like told many times before, get your facts
straight before shooting off your mouth.

Actually, don't. It's a lot more fun showing how wrong you are
and how much of a fool you can be.

Anyone looking it up will find out very quickly just who is right and who is
wrong, and I recommend that anyone who is curious do exactly that.
Old June 5th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

[...]

Not only are you a moron, you're an asshole as well. How stupid does
one have to be to think that just because a printed chart (updated every 6
months, and at least 1 month out of date when it appears) shows an airport
that the airport is still really operational as an airport? Only you, play
pilot, are that stupid.

The VFR sectional charts are issued every 6 months. The Grand Canyon
chart is on a "when issued" cycle. Only a stupid buttwipe like you would
believe that just because it's on the unexpired chart its still there.

Did you try looking up Tuweep in the A/FD, which is also a federal
government publication, but is updated on 56 day cycle? Newsflash asshole
- Tuweep isn't there anymore. This is from the federal government's NACO
web site which lists all airports in any selected state. No Tuweep or L50.

The federal goverment does maintain, online, a current data base of
airports. Tuweep is NOT there. The Arizona Department of Transportation
used to maintain Tuweep. Their web pages lists the airport as closed. Only
a moronic buttwipe like you would bleat "it's on the chart which hasn't
expired, its got to be there."

The AOPA, which has a vested interest in maintining up-to-date
information for pilots, no longer shows Tuweep or L50. Do you have some
inside knowledge on Tuweep which neither the federal goverment, the AOPA,
or the Arizona DOT posses? If so, please tell us the source. You
obviously don't have a clue on how to properly inform yourself of all
factors which could affect your flight. That's right. Your not a pilot.
Your not even a competent play pilot.

Try filing a VFR flight plan to L50 with DUATS. Let us know if it is
accepted. Try getting an area weather briefing for L50. The weather
service knows nothing about L50 any more.

Did you search the NOTAM file to see if L50 still exists? Did you
know that this is where changes are documented until the next chart cycle?
If you did, why didn't you check it? If you didn't, why did you shoot your
stupid mouth off and try to claim that Tuweep is still there? Is it your
goal in life to subtract from the sum total of human knowledge?

Your statements are pure unadulterated bull ****.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old June 5th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Mxsmanic wrote:
A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

You, and your charts are wrong.

They are not my charts; they are prepared by the Federal government. Surely
you've seen the specific VFR chart for the Grand Canyon SFRA?

So your charts are the only ones that are right, and the
Arizona state government is wrong? You are delusional, Anthony. Next,
I'll suppose you want to believe you're right, and the state law is
wrong? If so, we'll see you on the next episode of COPS: Paris.

It isn't listed at Airnav.com. It isn't listed on any
sectional, let alone the Grand Canyon VFR chart or listed at your
beloved Skyvector.com.

It's on the Las Vegas sectional (which doesn't expire until August), and on
the Grand Canyon SFRA chart (which doesn't have regular cycles), at N
36.301407 W 113.071384. You can see it on Google Maps, and various pilots
have put pictures of it on the Web.

Show me at NACO, MyAirplane, or anyplace where a current A/FD
exists that has L50.

In the face of so much documentary evidence, it is impossible for me to lend
any real credence to your point of view. It's a bit like saying there's no
such place as Los Angeles.

Like told many times before, get your facts
straight before shooting off your mouth.

Actually, don't. It's a lot more fun showing how wrong you are
and how much of a fool you can be.

Anyone looking it up will find out very quickly just who is right and who is
wrong, and I recommend that anyone who is curious do exactly that.

We have. You're wrong, and a bloody idiot for not seeing it.

Oh wait.. Dilbert Rule still applies, doesn't it?

BL.
- --
Brad Littlejohn | Email:
Unix Systems Administrator, |

Web + NewsMaster, BOFH.. Smeghead! |
http://www.wizard.com/~tyketto

Old June 5th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 5, 3:11 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

I suppose it depends on how you define the limits of Marble Canyon.

Or how one defines an obnoxious, Google know-it-all.