Types of currency

Old March 18th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

Default Types of currency

I'm trying to come up with a list of all possible currency
requirements that could possibly be calculated. This is what I have so
far:

SEL general
SEL night
MEL general
MEL night
SEL tailwheel general
SEL tailwheel night
MEL tailwheel general
MEL tailwheel night
SES general
SES night
MES general
MES night

instrument-airplane
instrument-helicopter
instrument-glider

After that it gets kind of confusing. There are a few other
categories, such as Powered Lift, Lighter-Than-Air, Weight-Shift, etc.
But I don't know if single-engine, sea, apply to them.

Is there a such thing as glider currency? Do you have to do 3 landings
within the last 90 days in a glider to carry passengers in a glider?
The FAR's define a glider as a category, but I can't find any mention
of glider currency anywhere on the internet.

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list somewhere that lays out each
and every category/class combo that the FAA recognizes?
Old March 18th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

buttman wrote in news:0aaa1a3b-bf6c-43ce-9334-
:

I'm trying to come up with a list of all possible currency

I'd go for yen, the dollar is fjukked.

Bertie
Old March 18th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"buttman" wrote in message
[...]

Currency for carrying passengers is determined by category and class of
aircraft. I can't find where the FAA defines anything called "SEL currency" or
"glider currency", though some may invent such terms for logging purposes.

Do you have to do 3 landings
within the last 90 days in a glider to carry passengers in a glider?

Yes. Read 61.57

The FAR's define a glider as a category, but I can't find any mention
of glider currency anywhere on the internet.

Speaking respectfully, stop searching the Internet and get familar with your
FAR/AIM. For today's subject, start at 61.57.

Vaughn

Old March 18th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

good answer Vaughn... but the AIM/FAR is on the internet..

as for gliders.. or to carry passengers in anything.. you must be 90 day
current in category and class, and if you are doing it at night.. night
landing current too...
so even if you are 90 current in SEL and not 90 current in glider.. then you
be best to do your 3 pattern tows for three landings.. before taking that
pretty girl up for a glider ride.

Old March 19th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"BT" wrote in message
good answer Vaughn... but the AIM/FAR is on the internet..

as for gliders.. or to carry passengers in anything.. you must be 90 day
current in category and class, and if you are doing it at night.. night
landing current too...
so even if you are 90 current in SEL and not 90 current in glider.. then you
be best to do your 3 pattern tows for three landings.. before taking that
pretty girl up for a glider ride.

Yes, that is exactly the right answer, but I wanted to allow the OP dig for
it just a bit.

Old March 19th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.

Don't forget about, 135, 141, 121, ILS -CAT, examiner currency, dispatcher,
CGI, A&E

--
Regards, BobF.

Old March 19th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Mar 18, 5:25 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:

Speaking respectfully, stop searching the Internet and get familar with your
FAR/AIM. For today's subject, start at 61.57.

Vaughn

I did. I read the whole thing before posting the topic. I don't fly
gliders, but from what I know, it would be weird to just go out, get
towed up and come right back 3 times for the purpose of landing
currency. I figured there might be some kind of exception for gliders,
considering I couldn't find any mention via a google search of anyone
doing such a thing. Same goes for balloon piloting.

But anyways, the reason I made this post is because I'm working of a
webapp similar to logshare, but with a bit more features and a better
UI. I'm currently working on a routine that determines currency for
each category/class/tailwheel combo one could ever need. I'm trying to
get a feel for what is needed and what is not. Should I waste my time
writing a single-engine Powered Life currency routine? Do those even
exist? What about a multi-engine weight-shift currency routine? Glider
night currency? According to the FAR's it should be needed to fly a
glider at night, but do people even fly gliders at night? Do blimp
pilots need 3 landings at night to take passengers at night?

I've only flown airplanes, so when it comes to "exotic" categories,
I'm clueless. I really wish the FAA would publish somewhere a list of
all recognized categories and classes of aircraft...
Old March 19th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Mar 18, 5:05 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
buttman wrote in news:0aaa1a3b-bf6c-43ce-9334-
:

I'm trying to come up with a list of all possible currency

I'd go for yen, the dollar is fjukked.

Bertie

you have me in stitches, mr bunyip
Old March 19th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

buttman wrote in
:

I'm clueless.