Sunlight readable Oudie - get yours upgraded!

Old March 3rd 12, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum

Default Sunlight readable Oudie - get yours upgraded!

On Mar 3, 12:35*am, Tony wrote:
sunlight readability on my oudie was not an issue last season. don't
forsee it being an issue this summer either.

For me, sunlight readability is not so big a problem. But combine it
with reflections and it is. The screen diffuses reflections a lot. I
finally covered the dull silver plated chest catch of my parachute
with a black sleeve, and it is much better. Not sure a brighter screen
would help that. Boxwave protector doesn't help.
Old March 3rd 12, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Some comments on prices:

The new Oudie is $600. Includes power supply, and SeeYouMobile.

A BrightNav (or similar V1) is $300. Add a power supply, it's $365, with XCSoar or LK8000. Smoking deal! But if you want SYM, then its another $239, so the price ends up being about the same as a new Oudie at $604.

A Dell Streak is around $350 on Ebay, less if you want to play bidding games with 12 year olds... Add a power supply, it's probably around $400 - and you are limited to XCSoar. Great if you like XCSoar. Not so great (for now, at least) if you prefer SYM or LK8000.

So we are talking about $200 difference here! (less if you already use SYM and get a discount, by the way...).

Now if you feel you need bragging rights on having the latest processor and OS in your cockpit, then your choice might be biased a bit.

Kirk
66
Old March 3rd 12, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

I guess that's the essential difference between freeware and shareware. People sometimes forget that being able to choose is a good thing. Believe me - I grew up in a country where there was very little choice in anything. What we have now is much better. But by no means cheaper.

Andrej, this is an excellent point. One that many people in this country seem not to understand. I too was born in a country where choices were not to be made. You guys are offering excellent product supported with good business practices. I really value that. Keep up the good work and don't worry about the "free and cheap crowd".

Thanks,

Jacek
Pasco, WA
Old March 3rd 12, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

I keep telling my friends asking for the software, that if they know how to
use at least 30% of CUm functions, keep using it!
Because most of functionalities in software are never used (think about a
wordprocessor). In flight, it is important the pilot know the sw,
and he has spent time to learn it .
So for 150$ I wouldnt suggest a friend to change software and mind, and the
Naviter offer is affordable and very reasonable all considered.

I have taken today some pictures of this new screen (ok I use V1, but it is
the same, and mine is also a prototype).
Well guys, night and day, night and day compared to old LCDs. Perfect in
the sun, just perfect in any light condition.

The pics from Naviter are not enough to describe the difference. Andrej make
some more, compared to other units!

Old March 3rd 12, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Mar 3, 10:40*am, "PCool" wrote:
[...]

I love my Oudie, as it is, it has been great and I'm sure it will be
even better when it is brighter. I love how easy it was to set up,
good to go right out of the box and I didn't need to be a computer
expert to make it go. Plus all the options that came in the box made
it easy to come up with the best installation that worked for me. On
top of that it has proven to be a stable platfrom. Such an
inprovement from the old PDA's.

I'm a huge fan of Naviter, they have been great for our sport. Keep up
the good work guys.
Bravo!

Dan Rihn
WO
Old March 3rd 12, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Mar 3, 11:17*am, Dan wrote:
On Mar 3, 10:40*am, "PCool" wrote:

[...]

WO- Hide quoted text -

should have mentioned that it is also nice to have a good backup OLC
approved logger......I needed that capability once.....forgot top plug
in the VL.

Dan
WO
Old March 4th 12, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_4_]

On Mar 2, 7:25*am, Andrej Kolar wrote:
Hey group!

We are very excited to announce that a Sunlight readable Oudie will
become available shortly (mid April) and maybe even more significantly
that we went into considerable trouble and will be be able to upgrade
your old Oudie too!

Full news announcement is hehttp://www.naviter.si/content/view/148/1/lang,en/

We will be happy to discuss it here on r.a.s. as well.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots usehttp://www.Naviter.com/

Just curious - what does the new screen do to the power draw (battery
life)?
Old March 4th 12, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

"Dan" wrote in message
On Mar 2, 7:25 am, Andrej Kolar wrote:
Hey group!

We are very excited to announce that a Sunlight readable Oudie will
become available shortly (mid April) and maybe even more significantly
that we went into considerable trouble and will be be able to upgrade
your old Oudie too!

Full news announcement is
hehttp://www.naviter.si/content/view/148/1/lang,en/

We will be happy to discuss it here on r.a.s. as well.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots usehttp://www.Naviter.com/

Just curious - what does the new screen do to the power draw (battery
life)?

Hi Dan,

Good question. The new brighter Oudie will use more current than the
original version Oudie. I don't have specific current draw numbers yet.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old March 4th 12, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I have added a lot of new information on the new brighter Oudie to my web
site. They are already pre-selling very well. If you want one in April,
you may want to order soon. You can see details he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyou.htm#News
and
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyo...Naviter-Oudie2

I have a few new, original version Oudies for sale for $495 (while supplies
last). If you buy one of these you will have something to fly with for the
start of the soaring season, and you can still get it upgraded with the
brighter screen over the winter (for about $240). Or buy one of these as a
backup unit.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyou.htm#Naviter-Oudie

If you have a good, used Oudie and are considering upgrading to the new
brighter version, you may want to check out my offer to sell your used Oudie
for you. It will cost you less to buy a new brighter Oudie and have me sell
your existing Oudie for $395 than it would cost to get your Oudie upgraded.
Another advantage of this approach is that you won't need to be without your
Oudie during the soaring season as you would be if you sent the Oudie in for
upgrade in April. You can see details he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyo... udie_For_You

I anticipate receiving some good used units from customers that I will be
selling for them for $395. They will be tested by me and have the latest
software installed. All accessories will be included. Those are great
prices for ready-to-fly, "Cumulus Soaring Tested" Oudie systems.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyo...ter-Oudie-Used

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
____________________________________

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm very exited about this new sunlight-readable Oudie. The original
Oudie's were extremely popular for many reasons: great SeeYou Mobile
software pre-installed, airports and airspace and vector maps for most of
the world pre-installed, non-volatile memory (it doesn't lose its memory if
the battery gets low), large display in a small package, power/data cables
and cradle included, etc. The only complaint I ever heard about the
original Oudie was that we all wished it could be brighter. It was already
brighter than other color PDAs and PNAs. But now it is much, much brighter.
The price in the USA for the new units will be $600.

The great news is that all existing Oudies can be upgraded to the new
screen. The upgrade must be done in Slovenia. I will be accepting Oudies
here at my office for bulk shipments to Slovenia to reduce shipping costs.
The upgrade price is $240. I think that is quite reasonable considering you
will get a unit back that is easy to read in sunlight - with all the great
features of the original Oudie. Please don't send your Oudies to me yet
because upgrades won't be available until mid April.

I'll have details and photos on my web site later today. You can pre-order
the new Oudie now, he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyou.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old March 4th 12, 08:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

what does the new screen do to the power draw

This is what we have measured at 12V and internal battery full:
Old Oudie: 250mA
New Oudie: 350mA

Add about 150-200 when the internal battery is charging.

We got exactly 24 hours out of an 8Ah 12V battery and we have a log to prove it.

The internal battery duration in comparison will be significantly reduced because of this change. With old display you could easily get 2-2.5 hours, with the new display at full brightness it will be more like 45 minutes to 1 hour. But. All Oudies that have ever been built have one feature that we never advertized. Until now. They have a light sensor and the abbility to automatically dim the screen if you are in a dark room (like the briefing hangar or a shade under the wing).

With the backlight fully dimmed the new display will last 2.5-3 hours but I must admit we have not tested this scenario properly. We'll do that and report back about how long the battery will last when fully dimmed.

Automatic brightness works great on an Oudie and can significantly reduce battery consumption. If you mount your Oudie so that the light sensor has clear view of the sky (which it does if you mount it on the canopy) we strongly recommend you to use the Automatic brightness feature.

We didn't advertize this feature just because there is no reason to dim the old screen ever but we were hopeful since the beginning that some day we will get a good screen for the Oudie. It added cost to each unit we sourced but now it wil prove priceless!

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use