PW-5 PW-6 'stiff' rudder pedals

Old July 22nd 12, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default PW-5 PW-6 'stiff' rudder pedals

Coming from SGS and Blanik glider experience, the rudder pedals in a PW-6 seem "stiff" to me.

1.Are the rudder pedals in a PW-5 likewise stiff?

2.Is the stiffness a design shortcoming or a feature? Does the stiffness have any purpose? Do some people prefer this feel?
Old July 22nd 12, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 17:39:15 -0700, son_of_flubber wrote:

Coming from SGS and Blanik glider experience, the rudder pedals in a
PW-6 seem "stiff" to me.

1.Are the rudder pedals in a PW-5 likewise stiff?

Its a while since I flew a one, but I don't remember any stiffness. IIRC
all controls felt as free and responsive as one of my club's SZD Juniors
or the Std Libelle I flew shortly after getting out of the PW-5.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old July 22nd 12, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

You didn't happen to drop any blue pills in the cockpit, did you?
Old July 23rd 12, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Gough[_2_]

We fly two PW-6's at Cotswold Gliding Club with generally no rudder
problems. Can you feel any undue resistance or friction when you move the
rudder from side to side by hand? Also - have you had a good check for
loose articles in the front rudder pedal assembly and under the seats?

Chris

Old July 23rd 12, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adam Zieba

On Saturday, 21 July 2012 20:39:15 UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
Coming from SGS and Blanik glider experience, the rudder pedals in a PW-6 seem "stiff" to me.

1.Are the rudder pedals in a PW-5 likewise stiff?

2.Is the stiffness a design shortcoming or a feature? Does the stiffness have any purpose? Do some people prefer this feel?

I have had similar experience / not with PW-5 though / and was able to fix it by
slightly loosening rudder cables tension.

Adam
Old July 24th 12, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, July 23, 2012 2:22:38 PM UTC-4, Chris Gough wrote:
Can you feel any undue resistance or friction when you move the
rudder from side to side by hand?

Not tried that yet. The owner of the PW6 gave me a ride because I'm thinking about getting a PW5.

Also - have you had a good check for
loose articles in the front rudder pedal assembly and under the seats?

The owner is under the impression that this is normal for the type. He attributes it to a strong spring in the rudder mechanism. Perhaps the spring that centers the rudder?

Old July 24th 12, 07:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

Most modern gliders have rudder cables sleeves that are not 100% straight.

That way, impulse tension from the rudder causes friction, so it tends
to self damp flutter.

Too much static tension in the circuit will cause cables to slowly cut
their way out of the sleeve. Not a good idea.

You should feel slight friction, no more, from the pedal end.
Sharp movement of the rudder should result in a pulse of
friction/resistance. Slow movement of the rudder should be smooth/free...

Bruce

On 2012/07/24 5:59 AM, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Monday, July 23, 2012 2:22:38 PM UTC-4, Chris Gough wrote:
Can you feel any undue resistance or friction when you move the
rudder from side to side by hand?

Not tried that yet. The owner of the PW6 gave me a ride because I'm thinking about getting a PW5.

Also - have you had a good check for
loose articles in the front rudder pedal assembly and under the seats?

The owner is under the impression that this is normal for the type. He attributes it to a strong spring in the rudder mechanism. Perhaps the spring that centers the rudder?

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771
Old July 26th 12, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 5:39:15 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
Coming from SGS and Blanik glider experience, the rudder pedals in a PW-6 seem "stiff" to me.

1.Are the rudder pedals in a PW-5 likewise stiff?

2.Is the stiffness a design shortcoming or a feature? Does the stiffness have any purpose? Do some people prefer this feel?

Loosen the rudder cable turn-buckels about 1/2 to about 1 full turn. It will help not only with "stiff"-ness but your glider will fly for much, much longer period of time without any problems related to the rudder system. But if the "stiff"-ness persists, oh well, maybe you can benefit from it.....in the winter.... hahaha..... could not resist.
Jacek
Old July 26th 12, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Master Cylinder

On 07/21/2012 05:39 PM, son_of_flubber wrote:
Coming from SGS and Blanik glider experience, the rudder pedals in a PW-6 seem "stiff" to me.

1.Are the rudder pedals in a PW-5 likewise stiff?

2.Is the stiffness a design shortcoming or a feature? Does the stiffness have any purpose? Do some people prefer this feel?

Just work the rudder a lot after takeoff, or you'll hit the mountain, and fall in the
trees.
Old July 26th 12, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill (G8)

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 8:39:15 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
Coming from SGS and Blanik glider experience, the rudder pedals in a PW-6 seem "stiff" to me.

1.Are the rudder pedals in a PW-5 likewise stiff?

2.Is the stiffness a design shortcoming or a feature? Does the stiffness have any purpose? Do some people prefer this feel?

PW-5 pedals are stiff because of the ridiculously strong return springs on the rudder pedals. They are far to strong for flutter protection and we used to replace them with weaker springs which didn't give us any problems with flutter and made pedal movement acceptable.

Stiff rudder Steve Freeman Soaring 8 April 16th 09 01:57 AM
Flight Sim rudder pedals. news.ozemail.com.au Simulators 5 May 22nd 06 11:33 PM
CH Rudder pedals, why don't they work wan2fly99 Simulators 2 January 12th 06 01:30 PM
CH Products Rudder Pedals USB - Like new on Ebay Cecil Chapman Products 0 June 12th 04 06:11 AM
Adjustable Rudder Pedals Calvin R. Walker Home Built 0 January 23rd 04 05:36 AM