13.5 Meter World Championships

Old July 31st 15, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default 13.5 Meter World Championships

Going good Lane! I flew yesterday, a short local soaring flight. Took a tow behind a Wilga (They have a bunch of them here), and used FES a couple times to find lift under solid overcast.

Gliders here so far are a handful of Silent Electro, a Silent Targa, Sparrowhawk R, the Mini LAK (built across the street from Pociunai), a sawed down Diana 2, and the Russia AC-4D.

We've been posting as much as we can on our blog including a bunch of pictures from yesterday. Today and Tomorrow are the final practice days. I flew with my IGCDroid program runnig yesterday and my flight showed up well on Glideport.aero!

IGC has enough trackers here that the entire field should be carrying trackers each day. I assume the contest tracking page should be available through the contest website...www.wgc2015.lt

We all hope the GP14 can get here for some or all of the contest. We want to see how it shapes up against the other gliders in the class, and they have put SO much work into trying to have it ready it would be a shame if it couldn't fly here.

Blog is https://ussoaringteam2015lithuania.wordpress.com
Old July 31st 15, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 11:15:10 PM UTC+1, Al McNamara wrote:
Why have a FES in a GP14 when you could have the retractable electric
self-launcher version - and forego the extra drag and ugliness of the

prop
moustache?

Speed of starting.

But speed of starting is irrelevant for self launching and for self-retrieving speed of starting is a tiny factor compared with probability of starting which, for any with well designed and maintained electric powered glider, will be a near certainty.
Old August 1st 15, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Website on the GP14. One of the best websites I have seen for a glider manufacturer. Good sign!

http://www.gpgliders.com/gp-14-velo-0
Old August 1st 15, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

hi there,
I'd like to see the sawed down diana. Thanks to post a picture in your blog, if you have a chance, and I wish you good weather for the next 2 weeks
Philipp
Old August 2nd 15, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Good results (2nd and 3rd) for team USA on the first competition day although the "sawed down Diana" ;-) earned a nearly 100 point advantage. Unfortunately, the pace of development in this new 13.5m class gives the latest designs significant advantages. Considering that I think the U.S. Team had an amazing first day.

Good to see a real racing task (assigned task) called on day 1.

Huge bummer that Sabastain Kawa was not able to attend in the new GP14.

RESULTS: http://www.soaringspot.com/en_gb/135...15-08-02/daily
Old August 2nd 15, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Technically..tied for second. It was a really good team flight on a blue day. More tomorrow!
Old August 2nd 15, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Sunday, August 2, 2015 at 10:17:48 AM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
Technically..tied for second. It was a really good team flight on a blue day. More tomorrow!

A wonderful start. Keep it up!
Jim
Old August 3rd 15, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Great start, Bravo...
And by the way, thanks for the versus pics
Philipp
Old August 3rd 15, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

At 05:56 03 August 2015, wrote:
Great start, Bravo...
And by the way, thanks for the versus pics
Philipp

12 competitors! Wasn't world class (PW5) more popular? Another IGC
mistake?

Old August 3rd 15, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wojciech Scigala

Sean Fidler pisze:

Huge bummer that Sabastain Kawa was not able to attend in the new GP14.

They still hope to get the glider ready for second competition week.

--
WojtuÅ›