Sunlight readable Oudie - get yours upgraded!

Old March 2nd 12, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrej Kolar[_4_]

Default Sunlight readable Oudie - get yours upgraded!

Hey group!

We are very excited to announce that a Sunlight readable Oudie will
become available shortly (mid April) and maybe even more significantly
that we went into considerable trouble and will be be able to upgrade
your old Oudie too!

Full news announcement is he
http://www.naviter.si/content/view/148/1/lang,en/

We will be happy to discuss it here on r.a.s. as well.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.Naviter.com/
Old March 2nd 12, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I'm very exited about this new sunlight-readable Oudie. The original
Oudie's were extremely popular for many reasons: great SeeYou Mobile
software pre-installed, airports and airspace and vector maps for most of
the world pre-installed, non-volatile memory (it doesn't lose its memory if
the battery gets low), large display in a small package, power/data cables
and cradle included, etc. The only complaint I ever heard about the
original Oudie was that we all wished it could be brighter. It was already
brighter than other color PDAs and PNAs. But now it is much, much brighter.
The price in the USA for the new units will be $600.

The great news is that all existing Oudies can be upgraded to the new
screen. The upgrade must be done in Slovenia. I will be accepting Oudies
here at my office for bulk shipments to Slovenia to reduce shipping costs.
The upgrade price is $240. I think that is quite reasonable considering you
will get a unit back that is easy to read in sunlight - with all the great
features of the original Oudie. Please don't send your Oudies to me yet
because upgrades won't be available until mid April.

I'll have details and photos on my web site later today. You can pre-order
the new Oudie now, he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyou.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old March 2nd 12, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Mar 2, 4:25*am, Andrej Kolar wrote:
Hey group!

We are very excited to announce that a Sunlight readable Oudie will
become available shortly (mid April) and maybe even more significantly
that we went into considerable trouble and will be be able to upgrade
your old Oudie too!

Full news announcement is hehttp://www.naviter.si/content/view/148/1/lang,en/

We will be happy to discuss it here on r.a.s. as well.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots usehttp://www.Naviter.com/

The Sunlight readable Oudie is avialable from Craggy Aero LLC the
leader in Sunlight Readable Technology with the Ultimate Le.

See for details:

http://www.craggyaero.com/oudie.htm

Many think that the sunlight readability of a display is primiarily
due to the brightness. Brightness is a factor in some displays but
the overriding factor is contrast ratio.

Contrast ratio is important in high and full sunlight applications.
Contrast ratio of a display is defined as the luminance (brightness)
ratio between a brighter state and a darker state. The color LCDs
“white” state and “black” state are used to calculate the contrast
ratio.
Contrast ratio = CR = luminance of the “white” /luminance of the
“black”.
If white and black are equally bright, then CR = 1 and the display is
not readable. High contrast ratios makes the view in direct sunlight
less dependent on the backlight intensity.

Richard
www.craggyaero.

Old March 2nd 12, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler[_2_]

200 E + VAT + round trip shipping to Europe = $270 USD + $45 + $65 =
$380 USD and 4-6 weeks? Sound about right?

Innitially that seems rather expensive to me. The ones upgrading have
already spend $600 and will have nearly $1000 invested in the product
after the upgrade is completed. $1000.

Is the upgrade just the screen? Or are their other enhancements such
as processor, battery? How about an IGC approved logger? Maybe an
miniatureized espresso machine? :-)

I thank you for improving your product but the price of the upgrade is
approaching that of an iPad 2 (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/
shop_ipad/family/ipad)

The price of a new Sunlight readable Oudie is set at $600. Expensive
as the hardware, minus the screen upgrade, is likely very outdated.
In my opinion this upgrade price is so high that it is not worth it
for current owners.

I would like to offer my Oudie for sale at $400 USD. Included are all
the mounts, cases and charges (wall and car). I used it last season
in contests such as Uvalde, which was lots of sunny blue days, and it
worked fine! Contact me at if you are interested.
Thx.

Sean

Old March 2nd 12, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

I thank you for improving your product but the price of the upgrade is approaching that of an iPad 2 (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ad/family/ipad)

Old March 2nd 12, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Deane[_2_]

Folks - putting my comments here as well -

I think Naviters announcement is good news for everyone - The Naviter
folks are good guys - they are using the same display as mine I
think. If you already have an Oudie, it can be a good way to go -

BUT

E200 is $260+ after conversion which is about the same price as my
entire unit- And you have to mail yours in, wait for them to turn it
around, mail it back etc. so your total cost is about the same as the
BriteNav - upgrading hte screens is a labor intensive job which
explains the cost of the upgrade.

With BriteNav you can load in whatever program you like to use.
(LK8000, XCSoar etc)

If you are not already a Seeyou user and only want to use Seeyou I
would suggest you support the Naviter guys -

If you want choice in your software, consider BriteNav - this was why
I liked it enough to make it available to folks..

You can still support Naviter with their SeeYou Mobile software in
either case.

Hope this helps - The value proposition for Britenav hasnt changed -
and Naviter have improved their Oudie with the same technology - an
embarrassment of options....

Peter

Old March 2nd 12, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

200 Euros + VAT + round trip shipping to Europe = $270 USD + $45 VAT + $65 Shipping = $380 USD and 4-6 weeks? Does this sound about right?

Innitially that seems rather expensive. The existing Oudie owner upgrading have
already spend $600 and will have nearly $1000 total invested in the product
after the upgrade is completed. $1000.

Is the upgrade just the screen? Or are there other enhancements such
as processor, battery? How about an IGC approved logger? Maybe an
miniaturized espresso machine? :-)

I thank you for improving your product but the price of the upgrade is
approaching that of an iPad 2 (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/
shop_ipad/family/ipad)

The price of a new sunlight readable Oudie is $600 (plus tax & shipping). Expensive when you consider that the hardware, minus the screen upgrade, is likely very outdated in comparison with the latest devices available.

In my opinion this upgrade price is so high that it is not worth it
for current owners.

I would like to offer my Oudie for sale at $400 USD. Included are all
the mounts, cases and charges (wall and car). I used it last season and enjoyed it. SeeYou is good soaring software. You will need to tip your sunglasses up at times, or shade it with your hands to see it in very bright sunlight. I honestly rarely had any problem seeing the screen. My main wish is to take advantage of the large amount of very affordable available modern hardware. The Oudie is solid, works well and is a proven product.

Contact me at smfidlerATgmailDOTcom if you are interested in a nice unit at a nice discount.

Thx.

Sean
Old March 2nd 12, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

200 Euros + VAT + round trip shipping to Europe = $270 USD + $45 VAT + $65 Shipping = $380 USD and 4-6 weeks? Does this sound about right?

Innitially that seems rather expensive. The existing Oudie owner has already spent $600 within the past couple years. We will have nearly $1000 total invested in the product after the upgrade is completed. $1000. Thats alot for a PDA!

Is the upgrade screen only? Or are there other enhancements such
as a faster processor or an improved battery? How about an IGC approved logger? Maybe a miniaturized espresso machine? :-)

I thank you for improving your product but the price of the upgrade is
approaching that of an iPad 2 (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/
shop_ipad/family/ipad)

The price of a new sunlight readable Oudie is $600 (plus tax & shipping). Expensive when you consider that the hardware, minus the screen upgrade, is likely very outdated in comparison with the latest devices available. But the convenience of the Oudie package is nice and I am sure that it will sell very well.

In my opinion this upgrade price is so high that it is not worth it
for current owners. It definitely is to me...

I would like to offer my Oudie for sale at $400 USD. Included are all
the mounts (window suction, etc) and chargers (wall and car). I used it last season and enjoyed it. It works very well! You may need to tip your sunglasses or shade it with your hands to see it in very bright sunlight from time to time, but its no big deal. I honestly rarely had any problem seeing the screen. My main wish is to be able to take advantage of the rapid onslaught of very affordable modern hardware. The Oudie is solid, works well and is a proven product. SeeYou is very good soaring software! It is more than most will need for sure!

Old March 2nd 12, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Mar 2, 11:51*am, Sean Fidler wrote:
[...]

The price is $250 and shipping from Craggy Aero. NO VAT an no long
lead time after we intially get the program going.

Thanks,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old March 3rd 12, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Mar 2, 4:25*am, Andrej Kolar wrote:

Hey group!

We are very excited to announce that a Sunlight readable Oudie will
become available shortly (mid April) and maybe even more significantly
that we went into considerable trouble and will be be able to upgrade
your old Oudie too!

That's really excellent news. Now y'all don't have to keep your
Wedgies where the sun don't shine.

T8