Announcing Nephi, Utah OLC/Cross Country Camp Aug 7-11

Old January 14th 13, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Announcing Nephi, Utah OLC/Cross Country Camp Aug 7-11

Many local glider pilots think Nephi, Utah can and should become one of the next great racing and soaring destinations in the western United States. The airport has a huge new 6,300' x 100' runway at 5,000ft elevation, a full parallel taxiway and is very capable of handling wet operations (ballasted gliders). It has incredibly been home to only one DG400 motor glider for the last 15 years. Nephi has very little plane traffic with only a handful based on the field, no FBO for us to bother, 100LL self serve, is located close to a very large urban population for crew considerations, and has just spectacular soaring conditions and scenery for 250+ miles to the northeast, east, south and west of the airport. Think of the north Parowan tasking area and conditions but with a glider full of water, more landable fields and often a tailwind on final glide to get you home late in the day.

Dates: Aug 7-11, 2013
Map of Nephi: http://goo.gl/maps/wUbtH
Photo of Nephi from air: http://ssa.org/sport/PhotoGallery/9399.jpg
Camp Registration: http://ssa.org/members/contestreport...il.asp?id=2240

This camp will encourage you to fly different types of cross country flights over the 5 days - not just the racing tasks. This is not a formal racing event but those pilots interested in racing or learning how to fly a task will be given daily tasks for an opportunity to compete against fellow pilots. We will award daily winners for tasks (currently thinking two handicapped classes: FAI and Sports) to encourage different daily flying such as doing a racing task one day and then trying for a record flight the next day and then doing an OLC distance flight the next. On an amazing flight you can always decide to ditch the task if you were racing that day and still go for a big OLC points flight or a state record. The choice is yours. The lift starts early at Nephi and we will be seeing gliders that are attempting record flights launching well before noon as our sniffers.

We expect some pilots to come to attempt state or national record flights or personal goal flights as 1000km+ thermal flights are very doable from this location and 500km flights are easy in all but the worst weather. Nephi is after all only a few hours to the east of legendary Ely. Again, if you don't want to fly a task every day or at all, this camp is still for you! Come fly the famous Utah terrain and conditions for the first time in a relaxed environment, with many local mentor pilots willing to help you and lots of landable fields and near by airports but with also mountain and desert flying just a few miles away. Nephi seems to be a perfect location for pilots to experience some of their first mountain flying while still having lots of landout options.

There will be a beginning mountain soaring class the first morning for anyone interested and we will be holding daily morning group soaring seminars covering safety, group soaring techniques and to help the pilots get familiar with western soaring/OLC flying. If you are new to flying near mountains or western terrain we will most gladly find you a local mentor to help you get comfortable with this rewarding type of soaring. Bring your cameras!

Every evening plan on hanging out at the airport to talk about the day, compare flights and swap lies with everyone. With the soaring starting so early in the day plan on an efficient but relaxed first come first serve launch process. The current plan is to limit the participation to 30 gliders. With no other Utah contests this year these spots will fill up quickly. Register early and reserve your spot.

Tie downs will be off to the side of the taxiway in the grass/dirt. I walked the taxiway sides 2 months ago and they should be pretty good to tie down with lots of natural mowed grasses so plan on your own stakes and tie downs in the dirt. We are working on getting city approval for on-airport camping. There are flushing restrooms within the airport property and there are 6 hotels right in Nephi so there are no problems getting a room nearby. We will have a reduced group rate at one of the hotels. Plan on catered dinners multiple nights with a modest per person fee to cover costs.

Here are a few videos showing the area and soaring right around Nephi - Make sure to watch in full screen mode and as high definition as possible: This first video start just west of Nephi while on task and shows some of the area south and east of the airport - http://youtu.be/pSSlBKjmC8Y?t=1m30s

This next video shows spring-time slope soaring of the mountain just a few miles east of the Nephi Airport called Mount Nebo. - http://youtu.be/1TwOKtv8PnY

This last video shows taking off from Parowan in a rainy overcast sky and flying north through the tasking area around Nephi to give you another feel for the area. You get a quick view of Nephi at 2:50 in the video - http://youtu.be/TEZdEEwI5HI

Sorry this was so long however I hope it accurately shares our excitement for really opening up Nephi to even larger soaring events. Nephi really has unlimited soaring potential yet to be tapped. I am very happy to take phone calls or emails with questions and my contact info is on the registration page linked from above. We are very open to ideas and suggestions to make this camp even more enjoyable and worth attending! Please fire away. What do you think?

See you in Nephi!
Bruno Vassel - B4
Old January 15th 13, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

Hi Bruno,

Count me in. I will send you a check some time net week.

Jacek
Old January 15th 13, 02:52 PM
Lucky812 Lucky812 is offline
Junior Member

Great that will make two Dianas attending!
Old January 16th 13, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GeneReinecke

Great idea Bruno.

I am in! Maybe we can drum up some interest for a Utah Soaring Assn team.

Gene Reinecke
Old January 16th 13, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just a quick update for everyone. Thanks so much for the very enthusiastic response for this event! After just 2 days the registration is quickly filling up. Great! Keep them coming.

To answer a few questions the initial post did not cover:
1. We will have oxygen available for sale at the airport. 100% of profits will go directly to the Utah Soaring Association.
2. This will be a wet event so we will facilitate water fills at the airport.
Old January 20th 13, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

I just signed up on the SSA web site. Excited to try my hand at
flying this area.

There is mention of $100 Entry Fee. Do you want that sent in now or
later?

Thanks, John
Old January 21st 13, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks everyone for the massive participation and support for this event! It was first posted only a week ago and has now a long list of people wanting to attend. Because we may get some more registrations in the upcoming weeks as well as I expect some people to drop out due to unforeseen issues, we will ask for the entry fee to be mailed in before the end of April to then shore up the final positions. We will honor the order that people signed up as long as they meet the April 30 deadline to get in the small entry fee.

If you are positive that you will be attending and want to send in the fee early so you don't have to worry about it later please mail a check made out to Nephi Event and mailed to:

Bruno Vassel
1865 Hickory Ridge CT
Draper, Utah 84020

Please note that fees sent in will not be refunded even if you then can't attend due to it taking the spot from someone else wanting to come. I will certainly not be making money on this thing. Thanks for understanding.

Wow this will be fun looking at the list so far of all of you coming out! Can't wait to fly with all of you in the spectacular Utah soaring wonderland!

Bruno - B4