Soaring in Alaska?

Old March 29th 13, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

Default Soaring in Alaska?

Just got back from a trip to Alaska. The mountains and scenery are spectacular. Is there any soaring in Alaska? If yes, where? Thanks, Jacek
Old March 29th 13, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, March 29, 2013 2:05:20 PM UTC-6, ASM wrote:
Just got back from a trip to Alaska. The mountains and scenery are spectacular. Is there any soaring in Alaska? If yes, where? Thanks, Jacek

Near Fairbanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMG1trzznHg
Old March 30th 13, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 3/29/2013 1:41 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Friday, March 29, 2013 2:05:20 PM UTC-6, ASM wrote:
Just got back from a trip to Alaska. The mountains and scenery are spectacular. Is there any soaring in Alaska? If yes, where? Thanks, Jacek

Near Fairbanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMG1trzznHg

The video was actually taken in VA but the young pilot has moved to
Fairbanks.

Yes, there is soaring and the mountains are spectacular ... but no clubs
or commercial operations due to insurance issues.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdbrown...7600056346477/

Pete Brown
Anchorage

Old March 30th 13, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, March 29, 2013 7:37:18 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On 3/29/2013 1:41 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Friday, March 29, 2013 2:05:20 PM UTC-6, ASM wrote:

Just got back from a trip to Alaska. The mountains and scenery are spectacular. Is there any soaring in Alaska? If yes, where? Thanks, Jacek

Near Fairbanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMG1trzznHg

The video was actually taken in VA but the young pilot has moved to

Fairbanks.

Yes, there is soaring and the mountains are spectacular ... but no clubs

or commercial operations due to insurance issues.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdbrown...7600056346477/

Pete Brown

Anchorage

I just ran with her name due to the lack of other identifiers in the video. Gee, and I thought I found a secret soaring spot;^) After a little more digging, the video was indeed done at Shenandoah Valley Soaring.

Thanks Pete,

Frank Whiteley
Old March 30th 13, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I did many simulated flameout approaches to Eielson AFB, AK (26 mi SE of
Fairbanks) back in the 70s. Does that count? Naaaah... Those were just
sleigh rides.

Old April 1st 13, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jamie Shore

Brief Summary (slightly outdated) of AK Soaring
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Yahoo Group Alaska Mountain Soaring
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/akmtnsoaring/

Most of the gliding is related to the Civil Air Patrol with a handfull of private gliders and a few self-launchers.

Jamie Shore

B-52 Red Flag Alaska Tom[_8_] Aviation Photos 0 May 9th 10 12:31 PM
F-16 Red Flag Alaska - 1 Tom[_8_] Aviation Photos 0 May 9th 10 12:31 PM
Alaska Senator Supports User Fees For All EXCEPT Alaska Pilots Larry Dighera Piloting 9 August 4th 07 07:17 PM
Alaska Soaring Mike I Green Soaring 13 August 20th 06 03:47 PM
Soaring in Alaska keithw Soaring 1 December 29th 04 06:57 PM