A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Kansas straight-out

Old May 24th 17, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Kansas straight-out

Tony C and a few others are on a downwind dash. On gliderport; Tony's just past the OK/TX border. http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlidePort:389 I think he's in the Std Cirrus.
Old May 25th 17, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 1:25:07 PM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
Tony C and a few others are on a downwind dash. On gliderport; Tony's just past the OK/TX border. http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlidePort:389 I think he's in the Std Cirrus.

He landed at Center.
Jim
Old May 25th 17, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Fun and Interesting​ day!

My earliest launch ever, weak to start then cooked good. It rained a bunch in SE ok and ne TX yesterday and that showed. Struggled south of I 40 and got low-ish near Paris TX.

Dumped water after getting to Longview as the climbs just weren't there. Couldn't get to cloudbase in second half of flight very well.

Wind line, cloud line, and the line of airports did not coincide very well today which caused some navigation problems. There is basically no where else to land here.in east Texas.

Nice airport at Central, TX although they just closed the runway for light replacement. Nice runway though and having the runway lights torn out was a bonus to me.

Jerry Boone and Bob Holiday appear to have made it to Seminole, OK in our clubs Twin Astir. Nice job guys! They were the ET/K7 tracker on glideport.
Old May 25th 17, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster
external usenet poster

So what's the big deal? I figure I can easily match these last couple XC triple-state flights. All I'd need to do is trade my expensive, high-performance supership for a std cirrus and have it made.

All kidding aside, nice work. I'm wondering what you use as a weather forecast guide in planning these? The satellite pictures I saw today showed 100+ mile streets (NNW-SSE), but seemed a bit too east of your track.
Old May 25th 17, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Since the 2015 SSA Convention, I've been using top Meteo integrated with SeeYou for planning these flights. Today was the largest deviation I've seen between the forecast and reality, and that mostly boiled down to a slightly later start and an earlier finish than forecast. The in-between 8 hrs or so of soaring was pretty much as forecast.

The 7 day prog chart on aviationweather.gov is very handy too for identifying upcoming good days.

Old May 25th 17, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 12:04:25 AM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
Since the 2015 SSA Convention, I've been using top Meteo integrated with SeeYou for planning these flights. Today was the largest deviation I've seen between the forecast and reality, and that mostly boiled down to a slightly later start and an earlier finish than forecast. The in-between 8 hrs or so of soaring was pretty much as forecast.

The 7 day prog chart on aviationweather.gov is very handy too for identifying upcoming good days.

#1 in the world, too; great flight.
Old May 25th 17, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The OLC barograph trace shows four very low points: 21 meters, 64 meters, 175 meters and 251 meters AGL. Now I know Tony is a stud and all that, but really? Climbing away from 21 meters? How about the story, Tony?
Old May 25th 17, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

It's the file from the IGCDroid logger on my phone. Don't know why but it never shows correct altitude. Low points were more in the 1500-2000 agl area. See trace on glideport.aero.

When I get home I'll upload the igc file off the nano.
Old May 26th 17, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 8:46:35 AM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
It's the file from the IGCDroid logger on my phone. Don't know why but it never shows correct altitude. Low points were more in the 1500-2000 agl area. See trace on glideport.aero.

When I get home I'll upload the igc file off the nano.

Good OLC trace: http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=5751285

Bob & Jerry's flight in the Twin Astir: http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=5744456