Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Old October 16th 18, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 4:01:37 PM UTC-7, Brad wrote:
On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 6:16:35 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
Pictures and process for refinishing a ventus b fuselage. Work in progress pictures and process as work is completed.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

looking really good. the Tetra will need a fuselage face lift in the next few years. not a total gel/paint removal like you've done, but still a huge amount of labor.

Brad

Rolled on two coats of Duratec Vinyl ester surfacing primer, sanding tomorrow.

Pictures:

Old October 16th 18, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 5:54:39 PM UTC-6, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 4:01:37 PM UTC-7, Brad wrote:
On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 6:16:35 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
Pictures and process for refinishing a ventus b fuselage. Work in progress pictures and process as work is completed.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

looking really good. the Tetra will need a fuselage face lift in the next few years. not a total gel/paint removal like you've done, but still a huge amount of labor.

Brad

Rolled on two coats of Duratec Vinyl ester surfacing primer, sanding tomorrow.

Pictures:
http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Hi Richard,

Thank you for documenting this.

Watching with interest, I may do the same this winter.

How smooth/even was the primer after rolling, much different than spraying? I rolled marine PU on a trailer and it flowed very nicely.

What will you be using as a color/top coat?

Thanks,

Mike Carris
Old October 16th 18, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 4:54:39 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 4:01:37 PM UTC-7, Brad wrote:
On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 6:16:35 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
Pictures and process for refinishing a ventus b fuselage. Work in progress pictures and process as work is completed.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

looking really good. the Tetra will need a fuselage face lift in the next few years. not a total gel/paint removal like you've done, but still a huge amount of labor.

Brad

Rolled on two coats of Duratec Vinyl ester surfacing primer, sanding tomorrow.

Pictures:
http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Are you going to finish with the Duratec high gloss coating? Has this ever been used on gliders before?

Tom
Old October 16th 18, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]

On 2018/10/16 01:54, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

Rolled on two coats of Duratec Vinyl ester surfacing primer, sanding tomorrow.
Pictures:
http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Nicely documented project. I hope you don't get "arithmetic fatigue"
adding up all the hours.

Please advise the weight of the fuselage before you started verses that
when you finished. Also the moment arm balance for the rudder, before
and after. Be kind to the next owner and make sure it is fully
documented in the log books. This is always the "unknown" when looking
at a refinished glider.
Old October 16th 18, 10:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 10:57:20 PM UTC-7, Ian wrote:
On 2018/10/16 01:54, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

Rolled on two coats of Duratec Vinyl ester surfacing primer, sanding tomorrow.
Pictures:
http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Nicely documented project. I hope you don't get "arithmetic fatigue"
adding up all the hours.

Please advise the weight of the fuselage before you started verses that
when you finished. Also the moment arm balance for the rudder, before
and after. Be kind to the next owner and make sure it is fully
documented in the log books. This is always the "unknown" when looking
at a refinished glider.

is refinishing a glider considered 'preventative maintenance'?
Old October 16th 18, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 9:49:09 PM UTC-4, Mike C wrote:
[...]

Primer is rolled on to force it into the million pinholes left after sanding. If the first coats are sprayed many pinholes are bridged and show up again after the first sanding. How smooth it is doesn't matter too much.
UH
Old October 16th 18, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 6:34:59 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for telling me what does not matter to me. I had no idea!
Old October 16th 18, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 6:49:09 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
[...]

It will probably take several coats of surfacer, it does not matter if it is rough. Rolling on eliminates many pin holes. I will let you know after therapy sanding today.
Old October 16th 18, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 10:57:20 PM UTC-7, Ian wrote:
On 2018/10/16 01:54, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

Rolled on two coats of Duratec Vinyl ester surfacing primer, sanding tomorrow.
Pictures:
http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Nicely documented project. I hope you don't get "arithmetic fatigue"
adding up all the hours.

Please advise the weight of the fuselage before you started verses that
when you finished. Also the moment arm balance for the rudder, before
and after. Be kind to the next owner and make sure it is fully
documented in the log books. This is always the "unknown" when looking
at a refinished glider.

Finish will be

PPG Shopline JP202 Surfacer and JAU Acrylic Urethane.

I used this on my wings 16 years ago. It was tied out at Siskiyou County Airport all summer for these years. Other than minor chips it held up amazingly well.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old October 16th 18, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 2:28:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 10:57:20 PM UTC-7, Ian wrote:
On 2018/10/16 01:54, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

Rolled on two coats of Duratec Vinyl ester surfacing primer, sanding tomorrow.
Pictures:
http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Nicely documented project. I hope you don't get "arithmetic fatigue"
adding up all the hours.

Please advise the weight of the fuselage before you started verses that
when you finished. Also the moment arm balance for the rudder, before
and after. Be kind to the next owner and make sure it is fully
documented in the log books. This is always the "unknown" when looking
at a refinished glider.

is refinishing a glider considered 'preventative maintenance'?

Don't know.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

refinishing Ventus 2cm- wing profile [email protected] Soaring 20 November 6th 11 01:15 AM
refinishing Stig Pedersen Soaring 1 November 27th 05 05:50 PM
refinishing Stig Pedersen Soaring 1 November 26th 05 10:16 PM
Second speaker in Ventus 2b/c fuselage [email protected] Soaring 3 September 14th 05 05:41 PM
REFINISHING Ventus B Soaring 32 December 3rd 03 11:14 PM