'nuther question: highest TAS...

Old October 18th 05, 11:33 PM
xerj

Default 'nuther question: highest TAS...

.... for a normally aspirated piston occurs at sea level and full power, but
for a turbonormalised engine it will be at critical altitude, right?

Thanks in advance.

Old October 19th 05, 12:27 AM
Jose

[highest TAS] for a normally aspirated piston occurs at sea level and full power

In my experience, I get higher TAS at altitude. For a normally
aspirated single, 6-9000 feet or so.

Jose
Old October 19th 05, 12:29 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

xerj wrote:
... for a normally aspirated piston occurs at sea level and full power, but
for a turbonormalised engine it will be at critical altitude, right?

If you look at a performance chart, you'll see that the highest true airspeed
for a normally aspirated aircraft is more likely to be around 6000 feet or so.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old October 19th 05, 12:41 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jose" wrote in message
.. .
In my experience, I get higher TAS at altitude. For a normally aspirated
single, 6-9000 feet or so.

At cruise power, yes. As far as I know, you get more loss of thrust than of
drag (due to power loss) above sea level, so at full power, TAS always goes
down from sea level (for normally aspirated engines).

Just as xerj says.

Old October 19th 05, 12:46 AM
xerj

If you look at a performance chart, you'll see that the highest true
airspeed for a normally aspirated aircraft is more likely to be around
6000 feet or so.

Isn't that for something less than full power, i.e. 75%? I'm talking max
power.

Here's a c'n'p from this page:
http://www.nar-associates.com/techni.../altpart1.html

"The right hand intersection of the curves gives the maximum velocity in
level flight at that altitude. First, notice that for a normally aspirated
piston engine the maximum velocity in level flight occurs at sea level."

Old October 19th 05, 01:57 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:29:51 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

If you look at a performance chart, you'll see that the highest true airspeed
for a normally aspirated aircraft is more likely to be around 6000 feet or so.

Not at full power.

If I look at charts that show a full throttle curve, what I see is that TAS
increases up to the maximum altitude that any particular power setting can
be achieved; after that it falls.

Full power can only be achieved at sea level.

At least for a Mooney Ovation 2, for which I happen to have available that
type of curve, it is very clear that maximum TAS is achieved at maximum
power at SL (about 193KTAS)

For 75% power, maximum TAS is achieved at 8000', which is the maximum
altitude that one can obtain 75% power (about 190KTAS).

Old October 19th 05, 02:45 AM
George Patterson

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

Full power can only be achieved at sea level.

But you can do better than that at places that are below sea level. As long as
they aren't actually under water, that is. :-)

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 19th 05, 02:52 AM
BTIZ

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

Full power can only be achieved at sea level.

But you can do better than that at places that are below sea level. As
long as they aren't actually under water, that is. :-)

George Patterson

Been there George.... Death Valley in the cold of winter..
BT

Old October 19th 05, 03:39 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 01:45:19 GMT, George Patterson
wrote:

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

Full power can only be achieved at sea level.

But you can do better than that at places that are below sea level. As long as
they aren't actually under water, that is. :-)

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Well sure, depending on the temperature.

You can also achieve the same result at or above sea level with colder than
standard temperature conditions.

But in my response, I did not consider that a very detailed discussion of
the effects of temperature, humidity and altitude on engine performance was
going to add much, given the original question.

Do you know if the OP's supposition that the highest TAS of a turbo'd a/c
is at the critical altitude is correct?

Old October 19th 05, 04:03 AM
Marc J. Zeitlin

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

Do you know if the OP's supposition that the highest TAS of a turbo'd
a/c
is at the critical altitude is correct?

The highest TAS of a propeller driven aircraft will occur at the highest
altitude at which the power being developed can occur. In other words,
if you want to fly at 65% power, fly at the highest altitude at which
65% power can be developed.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://www.cozybuilders.org/

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM