Paperwork list for experimental glass ship

Old March 7th 10, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_27_]

Default Paperwork list for experimental glass ship

Having recently purchased a new-to-me sailplane, I have been told
about various forms or paperwork I must have to ensure things are
legal - ranging from the program letter stating where/when I will fly
to operating limitations. There seems to be varying stories on what
exactly is required.

Is there a simple checklist (for the USA) on the requirements to
ensure everything is up-to-snuff in terms of the paperwork?

Some Questions:
I have the op-limitations stapled to the airworthiness cert, but it
specifies the state the glider was registered in originally. Does
this have to be updated?

Is there a FORM available for the letter to state where/when I will
fly? The local FSDO just said to write down where I am going to fly
and when, and mail it in - is there no "form"?

What else is required, if anything that might be overlooked? As a new
owner, I just want to ensure I have everything required, and develop a
good checklist that could potentially be used by other future new-
owners.

Thanks for any pointers,

John
Old March 7th 10, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Mar 7, 7:25*am, John wrote:
[...]

Quoting myself from an older post.

quote
The difference is whether your glider import and/or initial
airworthiness in the experimental/racing category was pre-(July 9,
1993) or post-(August 18, 1993) moratorium. See FAA Order 8130F with
latest change. Gliders are in Group I (and ALL). All relevant
paragraphs of the
order for the group apply to post-moratorium gliders. Post moratorium
gliders, regardless of country of construction, will have operating
limitations under this order.

Regarding the annual program letter, from paragraph 37:
(37) The owner/operator of this aircraft must submit an annual program
letter update to the
local FSDO that lists airshows, fly-ins, etc., that will be attended
during the next year, commencing at
the time this aircraft is released into phase II operation. This list
of events may be amended, as
applicable, by letter or fax to the FSDO prior to the intended
operation amendments. A copy of the
highlighted aeronautical chart, when applicable, must be carried
aboard
this aircraft and be available to
the pilot.
(Applicability: All)

If it's included in the operating limitations, it's required. You
won't find [the above] statement in pre-moratorium operating
limitations.
Keep them safe and dry.

The operating limitations are part of your special airworthiness
certificate, FAA Form 8130-7. Pre-moratorium gliders have a seemingly
permanent and portable set of operating limitations. Post-moratorium
gliders airworthiness certificate does not expire, however, there are
30 day reporting requirements regarding change of address of the
registrant or for change of owner or base of operations. Since there
may be a new program letter requirement (the program letter is just a
required extension to the OL's) due to any of the above. A change of
base of operations will require a change in the operating limitations.
/quote

Recall the recent thread about 'ramp checks' and 'program letters'?
If the glider was imported or acquired its first US initial
airworthiness in the experimental racing/exhibition category after the
post-moratorium date, the operating limitations must be updated as
required. My local FSDO contact says there will be a hands on
inspection of all such US aircraft within three years. My FSDO has a
form letter for the program letter [as supplied by my DAR], but has
not mandated it. But we've seen here in some cases that the submitted
letter was returned for revision in a few cases (in other FSDO's). My
FSDO will also accept a signed PDF copy as an e-mail attachment
(request 'read receipt', print and keep with aircraft program letter
in aircraft). Your FSDO may not.

If your OL's are pre-moratorium, they are golden. Treat as such.

If they are post-moratorium, you will need to work with your FSDO or a
DAR for an amended set.

HTH,

Frank Whiteley

Old March 7th 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT[_3_]

Not enough information provided.
When was the glass bird originally imported and registered in the US?
If it was in the "early years" the Operating Limitations may have no
restrictions that hamper were and when you can fly with no Program Letter
requirement. If a mid 90s or alter bird, then you may have different issues.
Our LS-4 and Janus C do not have flying locality or Program Letter
requirements.

What does the current Operating Limitations say? It should specify where you
can fly, where the aircraft is "home based" and the requirements of the
Annual program Letter. If you have moved the aircraft from it's specified
"home base", then a new set of Operating Limitations may be required.

We have a club member that had bought a glider from Kentucky, the glider had
originally been registered in Pennsylvania with Operating Limitations and
Program Letter requirements for PA. It was no longer at it's home base in
PA, and Kentucky was not on the approved list for a flying area. The
Kentucky owner essentially flew it for a few years with an invalid
Airworthiness certificate.

When the glider showed up out West, then a new Operating Limitations,
Program Letter requirements and new Airworthiness Certificate was worked out
with the local FSDO. It needs to be done with the local FSDO where the
glider is "home based".

BT

Old March 7th 10, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT[_3_]

Frank Whiteley has provided samples of Program Letters in previous RAS
posts.

"John" wrote in message
[...]

T6 Formation flight with Ship to Ship and ATC COMS - Video [email protected] Piloting 5 September 10th 09 06:09 PM
OT T6 Formation flight with Ship to Ship and ATC COMS - Video A Lieberma[_2_] Owning 0 September 10th 09 12:47 AM
OT - T6 Formation flight with Ship to Ship and ATC COMS - Video [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 0 September 10th 09 12:47 AM
Paperwork Question's? MRQB Owning 2 March 15th 04 06:27 AM
getting FAA paperwork Cub Driver Piloting 4 December 13th 03 12:06 AM