SeeYou Mobile achieved L/D question

Old March 30th 09, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SeeYou Mobile achieved L/D question

Two of the most useful features to me in SeeYou Mobile, (or any other
soaring software) is the ability to display the L/D to any point, and
more importantly, your actual, achieved L/D over the ground in real
time. If you are flying to maximize your L/D over the ground, the
advantage is that for any combination of wind component or lift/sink,
you can change your speed and see the result without resorting to
calculations, rules of thumb, etc. The downside is that if the
software calculates the achieved L/D instantly, then every bump or dip
will result in a wildly varying readout. The L/D achieved must be
damped and averaged over some period of time to be useful. If this is
too long, then changes in speed will take too long to display a
corresponding change in the current L/D making it less useful to fine
tune your speed into, say, a debilitating headwind. SeeYou Mobile
appears to either have a pretty long average with a slow response, or
my old Phoebus has the world’s flattest polar. Does anyone know over
what period of time the achieved L/D is averaged in SeeYou Mobile, or
know of any way to adjust it? I can’t find anything about it on
their site and wondered if anyone knows before I contact them. If I
am fundamentally wrong about any of the above, please feel free to
straighten me out. I just want to learn, not argue.

Thanks… Don

Old March 30th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Nau

On Mar 30, 12:01*pm, wrote:
[...]

If I recall correctly, I remember reading somewhere that it is a 2
minute average.

Tom
Old March 30th 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 30 mar., 20:26, Tom Nau wrote:
On Mar 30, 12:01*pm, wrote:

[...]

2 minutes it is. We first thought we would make it an option but after
a few flights it became apparent that 2 minutes is the perfect
compromise.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.SeeYou.si
Old March 31st 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

At 20:47 30 March 2009, wrote:
On 30 mar., 20:26, Tom Nau wrote:
On Mar 30, 12:01=A0pm, wrote:

Two of the most useful features to me in SeeYou Mobile, (or any

other
soaring software) is the ability to display the L/D to any point,

and
more importantly, your actual, achieved L/D over the ground in real
time. =A0If you are flying to maximize your L/D over the ground, the
advantage is that for any combination of wind component or

lift/sink,
you can change your speed and see the result without resorting to
calculations, rules of thumb, etc. =A0The downside is that if the
software calculates the achieved L/D instantly, then every bump or

dip
will result in a wildly varying readout. =A0The L/D achieved must be
damped and averaged over some period of time to be useful. =A0If

this
i=
too long, then changes in speed will take too long to display a
corresponding change in the current L/D making it less useful to

fine
tune your speed into, say, a debilitating headwind. =A0SeeYou Mobile
appears to either have a pretty long average with a slow response,

or
my old Phoebus has the world=92s flattest polar. =A0Does anyone know

ov=
er
what period of time the achieved L/D is averaged in SeeYou Mobile,

or
know of any way to adjust it? =A0 I can=92t find anything about it

on
their site and wondered if anyone knows before I contact them. =A0If

am fundamentally wrong about any of the above, please feel free to
straighten me out. =A0I just want to learn, not argue.

Thanks=85 Don

If I recall correctly, I remember reading somewhere that it is a 2
minute average.

Tom

2 minutes it is. We first thought we would make it an option but after
a few flights it became apparent that 2 minutes is the perfect
compromise.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.SeeYou.si
IMHO Soaring software that really works is such a incredibly powerful

copilot to have in the cockpit. I started with a "whiz wheel" and a
hand held Garmin 12 and while I got out there and had a ball, having a top
notch flight computor on board takes about 80% of the stress out of soaring
for me.
I fly with a CAI 302, a associated 303 display and a ipaq with Seeyou
mobile. It is a fair chunk of change for that system, but my goal is to
fly as far as I can most days, so to me the cost of a real system is well
worth it.
I highly encourage pilots who like to fly but still have varios from the
70's and 80's to upgrade learn the software and use. You can set it and
never touch it for the whole flight or button push to your hearts content.
I have used several soaring software program and I use seeyou because of
the product support from the designer Anderj Kolar.
he is readily available and happy to respond as he did above.

Seeyou isn't dirt cheap but the best never is!

What really cracks me up is when I see these 50k+ sailplanes with 3 or 4
varios installed none of which really work!

Seeyou at cloudbase!
Nick Kennedy
ASW 20 XS
Twin Astir TF

SeeYou Mobile 3.0 now available [email protected] Soaring 0 February 4th 08 12:17 PM
SeeYou Mobile Question (units) [email protected] Soaring 16 November 11th 07 03:02 AM
SeeYou MOBILE v2.0! Roy McMaster Soaring 10 July 12th 04 12:25 AM
SeeYou Mobile Robert Fidler Soaring 0 March 17th 04 04:18 PM
SeeYou Mobile question Greg Arnold Soaring 1 February 19th 04 04:24 PM