Phil called today

Old March 12th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FLAV8R

Default Phil called today

For the last few weeks I have been getting numerous phone calls everyday
from a number that lists itself as "PUB INTEREST CO".
Since I'm not in the habit of picking up the phone to talk to solicitors, I
don't answer calls from unknown parties.
But today I thought I would put an end to all the harassing phone calls that
I have been getting at all hours of the day.
So today when I answered the phone, I found out it was AOPA calling to let
me know that my membership
will be expiring soon.
You know a simple message left on my answering service the first time they
called would have been a sufficient reminder
to renew, instead they choose to call everyday several times a day from
morning to till night without properly identifying
themselves on the caller ID.

I have been a member for over 15 years and have supported them every chance
I could, but this is really just too much.

Phil, What have you really done for me lately?
Thank you for the lovely hats and airport directories, thank you for the
discount at Sun-N-Fun, thank you for
the cute little pin that I have worn proudly over the years and thank you
for the online flight planner.
But Phil, please stop calling me! You're getting to be worse than my
ex-wife.

David - AOPA member

Old March 13th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Todd W. Deckard

Many years ago I dropped my AOPA membership. I received a telephone
solicitation
for the AOPA credit card! I sent Mr. Boyer an email complaint (suggesting
that if he sent me his phone
number I'd be delighted to call him during the dinner hour). Bruce
Landsberg sent an email with his home number,
apologized and invited me to call him and discuss it. I was still chapped
at the credit card solicitation but the
followup was honorable.

I have since restored my membership (I enjoyed the magazine) and I feel the
lobbying efforts may be very important
in the current user fee debate and part-61 overhaul.

Todd

Old March 13th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Guillermo[_2_]

On Mar 12, 8:04 pm, "Todd W. Deckard" wrote:
Many years ago I dropped my AOPA membership. I received a telephone
solicitation
for the AOPA credit card! I sent Mr. Boyer an email complaint (suggesting
that if he sent me his phone
number I'd be delighted to call him during the dinner hour). Bruce
Landsberg sent an email with his home number,
apologized and invited me to call him and discuss it. I was still chapped
at the credit card solicitation but the
followup was honorable.

I also received a phone call for the AOPA credit card a few years ago,
which was one of the very few times in my life that I have go ahead
and gone with what a telemarketing call offered me. It was funny
because that week I had been talking about the need to get a VISA (at
that point in time I only had an AMEX), and was about to sign up for
the AOPA credit card but I hadn't had time to do it, so the call came
at the perfect moment.
However, now that the credit card has turned into a stinky reward
points card, I am probably gonig to cancel it. I wonder how many
people have stopped using the card for purchases at FBOs now that the
5% rebate program is gone.....

Old March 13th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Scott[_5_]

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:27:54 -0400, in rec.aviation.piloting, "FLAV8R"
wrote:

Phil, What have you really done for me lately?
Thank you for the lovely hats and airport directories, thank you for the
discount at Sun-N-Fun, thank you for
the cute little pin that I have worn proudly over the years and thank you
for the online flight planner.
But Phil, please stop calling me! You're getting to be worse than my
ex-wife.

I sort of wish they'd quit mailing me multiple renewal notices. I think
I've gotten five of them so far this year, and it's still months out. I
wouldn't mind so much, except that they always include a business reply
envelope with a "please use a stamp and help us save money on postage!"
message printed on it. I don't really need any more irony in my cynicism
this week.

-Scott
Old March 13th 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:27:54 -0400, "FLAV8R" wrote:

[...]

Many years ago, possibly even before you became a member g, I, too,
became annoyed at the phone calls. I told one of the callers that I no
longer wanted to be contacted by phone, ever, about anything having to do
with AOPA. They could contact me by mail if they had something for me.

That was the very last phone call I received from AOPA. All solicitations
for political contributions, ASF, etc. come only through the mail.

I continued my membership.

And I have my membership on "automatic renewal", so I don't even get dunned
to renew. I do get a reminder in the mail that they are going to renew (so
I can cancel if I wish); and also the occasional request to renew my credit
card.
--ron
Old March 13th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

FLAV8R wrote:
[...]

You can stop that by signing up for automatic renewal. I have. I have
also contacted AOPA to stop the numerous mailing, some redundant.

AOPA for 37 years

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old March 13th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 03:28:29 +0000, Scott wrote:

I sort of wish they'd quit mailing me multiple renewal notices.

Hey! I don't get this many renewal notices!! They like you better than
they like me!!!

Laugh

I did start getting solicitations from them for a variation of my name I
used with some aviation magazine. I called AOPA and explained that I was
already a member, and they they were wasting my money.

It was a friendly chat, and those other notes stopped.

Given the pilot numbers, I cannot say I blame them for squeezing every
last aviating body out of the population. I wish they did more on the
"getting kids involved" side, but I suppose the EAA and Harrison Ford own
that side of the business grin.

- Andrew

Old March 13th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tri-Pacer

" So today when I answered the phone, I found out it was AOPA calling to
let
me know that my membership
will be expiring soon.

I get the same thing from EAA starting months before my subscription
expires.

I almost didn't renew when the phone call came in.e-mails were bad enough.

Cheers:

Paul Anton
N1431A
KPLU

Old March 14th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Scott" wrote in message news:45f61889.601107812@localhost...
:
: I sort of wish they'd quit mailing me multiple renewal notices. I think
: I've gotten five of them so far this year, and it's still months out. I
: wouldn't mind so much, except that they always include a business reply
: envelope with a "please use a stamp and help us save money on postage!"
: message printed on it. I don't really need any more irony in my cynicism
: this week.
:
: -Scott

All you guys have to do is tell AOPA to only send one notification for renewal, and they will honor that request...

Old March 14th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"FLAV8R" wrote in message
But Phil, please stop calling me! You're getting to be worse than my ex-wife.

Don't tell us, tell them. I did years ago and the calls promptly stopped.

Vaughn