Flying to Texas...recommendations?

Old March 8th 07, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Flying to Texas...recommendations

If you end up in the Houston area, let me know, I'd love to meet you
guys for lunch or dinner one night, or even be tour guide for a day if
you wanted.

If that comes to pass, we'll try to let you know!

Thanks, Dave.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 8th 07, 08:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Caution about flying in Texas south of Dallas, the roads are
not east-west/north-south, makes pilotage a challenge. GPS
is handy.

Watch out for the killer bees and the red and yellow fire
ants.

oups.com...

Old March 8th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

john smith wrote:
In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Any other Gulf coast destination recommendations?

Houston... NASA & Mission Control
If you have to divert west for weather, Carlsbad Caverns, NM
Conferate Air Force HQ (or whatever its called now) Hondo TX (?)
Mooney Plant, Kerrville TX

Isn't the CAF at Midland, TX. Hondo is now the home of the Southwest
Regional Flyin.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old March 8th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Blanche wrote:

Barney Rubble wrote:

If you want to keep the aviation theme going, head on over to Galveston.
There is a great aviation museum right on Scholes Field
(http://www.lsfm.org/) and Moody Gardens is very close by. You'll love the
hotel at T82, but it is a taxi ride into town and the restaurant on the
field is only OK IMHO. A good ariel tour of the hill country and a stop in
Llano for BBQ at Coopers would also be a nice diversion. WX is looking good
for the next 3-4 days.

Definitely go to Galveston. Then take the crew car (if you can) for
the short drive up to JSC and take the tour. Back to Galveston for
fresh seafood. Don't forget to pick up one of those cheap foam
coolers to fill with ice and fresh, live shrimp (are we in season yet?)
to take home. Wrap in a big plastic garbage bag, no problem with
the smell.

A bicycle trip around the historic homes is beautiful. My sister lives
there.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old March 8th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Jim Macklin wrote:

Caution about flying in Texas south of Dallas, the roads are
not east-west/north-south, makes pilotage a challenge. GPS
is handy.

Watch out for the killer bees and the red and yellow fire
ants.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
| If you end up in the Houston area, let me know, I'd love
to meet you
| guys for lunch or dinner one night, or even be tour
guide for a day if
| you wanted.
|
| If that comes to pass, we'll try to let you know!
|
| Thanks, Dave.
| --
| Jay Honeck
| Iowa City, IA
| Pathfinder N56993
| www.AlexisParkInn.com
| "Your Aviation Destination"

And the TFR if the President is in Crawford, TX

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old March 8th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2007-03-07, Jay Honeck wrote:
We're hoping to depart for Fredericksburg, Texas (T82) next Sunday, to
pay a visit to the Hangar Hotel -- the only other aviation themed
hotel in the country (that we know of).

Fredericksburg is a nice town. I went to that field a few years ago
(with my bike in the back of the C172).

Other destinations you should visit:

Go to Corpus Christi Intl. and visit the USS Lexington. That's a very
good day out.

If you want to go to the beach, Mustang Beach is just up from Corpus,
and the beach is perhaps three minutes walk from the airfield. (The
airfield didn't have fuel last time I went there, but it's pretty close
to Corpus).

Fly into LaPorte near Houston and visit the Battleship Texas - another
good day out, and you can also sit on the AA guns and pretend to shoot
down passing aircraft :-) You can go right down into the bottom of the
engine room, too.

Also, the Johnson Space Center. Houston Gulf used to be the airport to
visit from this but it suffered the same fate as many private airfields
- now covered in tract housing.

Galveston Scholes has the Lone Star Flight Museum on the airfield. Most
of the planes aren't static displays, but flying examples. They also
have a Hustler there that was involved in the Cuban Missile Crisis IIRC
(it had been set up for photographic reconnaisance and was nicknamed
'Peeping Tom'). Also, the Moody Gardens are well worth a visit if you
have the time. If it's IMC, you can tell when you're at the outer marker
- just wait for the foul smell of the Texas City oil refineries!

Good lunch stops - Victoria (Leo's Food Lot, traditional big lumps of
meat steak house, walking distance from the airfield), Weiser airpark
(Carl's BBQ, on the airfield), Brazoria County (food available on the
airfield), Brenham (a very good '50s diner, complete with waitresses in
poodle skirts and apple crumble to die for).

Old March 8th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Dan Luke wrote:

My buddies and I surfed at those beaches this time of year when we
were high school kids. We wore full wet suits. 60 deg. F water will
turn your grapes to raisins in no time.

Just for the record I had to read the first sentance above twice before I
saw it in say anything other than...

Old March 8th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Dave S wrote:
Jay..

I second the Scholes field thing. Lone Star flight museum is on field.
Moody Gardens is 2 blocks away (actually built on former airport
property). Schlitterbahn is right across the street (built on the site
of a former hangar.

The historic strand is a cab or car ride down the road.. 8 miles max.

Up in Houston, close to EFD, NASA Johnson Space Center has the "Space
Center Houston" attraction for kids. Kemah has the Boardwalk, a
collection of 10 restaurants, some themed, on the clear creek channel
where clear lake exits to Galveston Bay.

Just a reminder, NASA JSC is NOT in Houston, it's in Clear Lake.
Depending on where you are in Houston, it can be a 2 hour drive or
a 30 min. drive. Yes, I know that the "address" is Houston. But
it's almost 40 miles from Galveston to JSC. From where I used
to live (Fondren & Westheimer) it was 36 miles and could easily
take over an hour. The beltway was built after I left (escaped?)
from Houston, but it's still a long drive.
Old March 8th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

My buddies and I surfed at those beaches this time of year when we
were high school kids. We wore full wet suits. 60 deg. F water will
turn your grapes to raisins in no time.

Just for the record I had to read the first sentance above twice before I
saw it in say anything other than...

"My buddies and I surfed at those beaches this time of year when we were
high"

Well, uh, actually...never mind.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old March 8th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Dan Luke wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

My buddies and I surfed at those beaches this time of year when we
were high school kids. We wore full wet suits. 60 deg. F water
will turn your grapes to raisins in no time.

Just for the record I had to read the first sentance above twice
before I saw it in say anything other than...

"My buddies and I surfed at those beaches this time of year when we
were high"

Well, uh, actually...never mind.

What years were you surfing down there?

Flying School in Florida / Texas Killol Piloting 20 October 8th 06 08:56 AM
Recommendations for flying in Florida? Alan Finger Piloting 1 January 8th 06 10:46 PM
Texas Taildraggers K. Ari Krupnikov Owning 30 August 21st 05 06:52 AM
A&P North Texas Suzette Owning 3 March 28th 05 01:18 AM
Texas fly-in restaurant RM Piloting 5 November 3rd 03 08:06 AM