Another hour logged

Old March 10th 07, 04:41 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
Crash Lander[_2_]

Default Another hour logged

Well, the vibration in the prop that I mentioned last week has been
rectified. Aparently they fixed it up during the week. No sign of
vibration anymore.

Did 2 circuits with the instructor today, and 5 solo. Was reasonable
happy with my last touch down, but all the rest were a bit sloppy.
Winds were about 12kts, and between 100 and 120 degrees, which really
made it crosswind circuits, as we were using runway 17. I guess this
partly explains why the landings were not to my liking, but not
completely. Most of the approaches were a bit low too, with 1 being low
enough to give me a bit of a scare. Came in too low, and had to give
almost full power to clear the trees. Was happy with my result in that
one though, as I recognised the situation, and tought it out clearly. I
remember being careful not to panic and pull back too hard on the
stick. Otherwise I would have stalled the wings and had a closer look
at the branches. I applied the power, and pushed the nose down a little
to gain speed, then gently pulled back on the stick. She gained speed
and climbed nicely. I'm sure it was nowhere near as close a call as I
thought it was, but it was really the first time I've had to 'take
evasive action'.

Booked in again for next saturday afternoon, and I should knock off the
balance of my solo circuits requirement then, so we can move on to the
next part of the syllabus. Looking forward to that.

--
Crash Lander.
I'm not always right,
Old March 10th 07, 10:16 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
BernieFlyer

Mate

The best technique is to have the plane in a nice position at about 500ft on
final, not too far out so as you use minimal power and almost glide down
final. Its not called the "glide path" for nothing. Its so much easier and
safer to let the plane basically fly itself down final. Try it with your
instructor. That is ask him to set you up a bit higher and use less power.
You will find it heaps better.

--
Bernie

www.acst.com.au

Old March 10th 07, 10:34 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
Oz Lander[_2_]

BernieFlyer wrote:

Mate

The best technique is to have the plane in a nice position at about
500ft on final, not too far out so as you use minimal power and
almost glide down final. Its not called the "glide path" for nothing.
Its so much easier and safer to let the plane basically fly itself
down final. Try it with your instructor. That is ask him to set you
up a bit higher and use less power. You will find it heaps better.

Nice advise Bernie. Thanks. As I said, most of my approaches were too
low today. Not normally a problem. My instructor usually does a couple
of circuits with me then sets me loose. I might get her to actually fly
the first approach next time. Just as a refresher of how it should be
done. It's all well and good me going around and around practicing
circuits, but if I'm practicing them wrong, there's no point is there!
I guess it's better to come in a bit high and go around if you can't
get down, than come in too low and not make the runway! ;-)

--
Oz Lander.
I'm not always right,
Old March 10th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 04:41:38 +0000 (UTC), "Crash Lander"
wrote in
:

Newsgroups: aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.st udent,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim

Personally, I'd prefer not see this in rec.aviation.piloting, and the
wide selection of newsgroups borders on spamming.

Please read the Usenet Netiquette information before posting to
Usenet.

http://kb.indiana.edu/data/affn.html
If you'd like to send your post to a very small number of
newsgroups that are related to the subject at hand, you can add
the newsgroups to the "Newsgroups:" line in the header, like this:
Newsgroups: alt.current-events.net-abuse,alt.usenet-kooks

This is called cross-posting. It should be used with extreme
discretion, since it can easily create long threads of discussion
in newsgroups that don't want or have much to do with the subject
at hand. It's often a good idea to choose one of the newsgroups to
handle the follow-up discussion, using a "Followup-To" line:

There's a lot of good information about Usenet he

http://member.newsguy.com/~schramm/nnqlinks.html

Thank you.
Old March 10th 07, 09:37 PM posted to aus.aviation, rec.aviation.piloting
Oz Lander[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 04:41:38 +0000 (UTC), "Crash Lander"
wrote in
:

Newsgroups:
aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.st udent,alt.games.mi
crosoft.flight-sim

Personally, I'd prefer not see this in rec.aviation.piloting, and the
wide selection of newsgroups borders on spamming.

Please read the Usenet Netiquette information before posting to
Usenet.

What you'd prefer to see in rec.aviation.piloting is of no concern to
me. I posted a message that 100% relates to this group. It is also of
100% relevance to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim, as I have many
friends over there too. And before you start, my term 'friends' is
valid as I have personally met several of the posterss in person.
4 newsgroups all with a common theme of flight, is hardly spamming, and
in reference to your quoted guidelines, I would indeed call 4 flight
related groups "a very small number of newsgroups that are related to
the subject at hand".
I 100% guarantee you that if the sim group wasn't in there, you
wouldn't have even commented. Such a shame some real pilots can be so
up themselves.
You know, I started out as a sim pilot. There was discussion about how
the sim pilots and the real pilots didn't get on. Some real pilots
suggested some sim pilots should go and see how different the 2 are.
Well, I DID take the challenge, and am becoming a real pilot. I have
never drawn said simming is in any way the same as really flying. I
post an experience about a real flying lesson and you throw up this
crap.
I respectfuly suggest you blow it out your arse.
Thankyou.

--
Oz Lander.
I'm not always right,
Old March 10th 07, 10:56 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting
CRaSH

Oz Lander wrote:
Larry Dighera wrote:

A somewhat unbelievable tirade over nothing

I respectfuly suggest you blow it out your arse.
Thankyou.

Too bad you're so damn far away CL, it'd be my shout!!

Old March 10th 07, 11:19 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
Tony

Dear Mr Crash

Since it's been decades, not years, since I was signed off as a PP,
things probably have changed, but I remember a lesson dear old CFII J
O'B taught.

He pointed out that if I was to suffer an engine failure at any time
after passing the numbers downwind and not be able to glide to the
runway, if I didn't die in the crash he'd kill me for embarrassing
him! He reserved the right, during dual instruction, to yank the
throttle full back, lean back, and cross his arms. Woe on the student
who couldn't make the numbers comfortably.

The point is this -- don't get too low! You have flaps, you have
slips, all kinds of tools for dumping energy, but there may come a
time when you don't have a way of adding any.

Once you're at pattern altitude you're becoming a superior pilot if
all of your power adjustments are in the downward direction. Pay
attention to CHT, cowl flaps if you have them, things like that, to
keep the engine 'comfortable', but try very hard to not put yourself
in a circumstance where you have to add power.

Now, there's an important point here. Safety is the point. The "I want
to be a superior pilot" ego should not prevent you from adding power
if you have to. Just give yourself a lower grade on that landing, and
go forth and sin no more.

May the wind be gentle on your nose during the flare!

Old March 10th 07, 11:37 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
CRaSH

Tony wrote:

Now, there's an important point here. Safety is the point. The "I want
to be a superior pilot" ego should not prevent you from adding power
if you have to. Just give yourself a lower grade on that landing, and
go forth and sin no more.

May the wind be gentle on your nose during the flare!

Tony,
You are a wise and live pilot.......

Cheers'n Beers... [_])
Don

Old March 11th 07, 12:08 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
veritas

I would make a poor instructor because it has been too long since I learned to fly. It is not
because I neglect the basics but rather that I do things without, any longer, being conscious of
it, therefore "why"!

Crash Lander wrote:
Most of the approaches were a bit low too, with 1 being low
enough to give me a bit of a scare. Came in too low, and had to give
almost full power to clear the trees.

I must ask - was the headwind (on final) on the day greater than you had previously experienced?

Wind strength will have an effect on how "close" you should turn base/final thus determining how
"steep" your approach will be. Under these circumstances, a steep approach is not necessarily
an indication that an approach is 'wrong' as it is a function of airspeed (distance through the
air) and not groundspeed (distance over the ground).

The distinction of approach angle in relation to the difference in headwind on final is not
always immediately recognised - it comes with, firstly, recognising the situation and taking the
appropriate action -then- later, experience will kick in and it will become 'automatic'.

--
..
..

READ CAREFULLY. By reading this article, you agree solely, and/or on behalf of your employer, to
release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my
ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of yourself and/or your employer.
Old March 11th 07, 12:11 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
Mike Young

"Crash Lander" wrote in message
enough to give me a bit of a scare. Came in too low, and had to give
almost full power to clear the trees. Was happy with my result in that
one though, as I recognised the situation, and tought it out clearly.

Cool. Just have to work on recognizing the situation earlier.