Arizona Flying Destinations

Old February 25th 04, 02:53 PM
Scott Schluer

Default Arizona Flying Destinations

Does anyone have good recommendations for fun day-trip flying destinations
in Arizona (within a couple hours of Phoenix)? Obviously I know about the
Grand Canyon, Sedona, Flagstaff, etc. I'm looking for more back-country type
airfields. No soft fields though, its against rental policy. I really enjoy
flying mountainous terrain, or anything other than flat land, with
interesting things to see or do nearby (hiking, fishing, camping, etc). If
we have to rent a car to get somewhere after landing, that's okay too. I've
never been to the White Mountains...anything good out there?

I'd really like to take my girlfriend out for a fun day or two of flying and
sight-seeing, but I don't want to fly to the usual destinations. Just
looking for suggestions from people who are familiar with the area. Thanks
for any input!

Scott

Old February 25th 04, 04:07 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Scott Schluer" wrote in message
[...]

The White Mountains are awesome, especially the Mogollon (mug-e-own) Rim.

Try Show Low (KSOW) or St. Johns (2nd or 3rd cheapest gas in the US), or try
the Chiricahua NM/Wilderness area by flying into Bisbee-Douglas (DUG) for a
trip to the SE part of the state.

Tom - AZ82

Old February 25th 04, 04:07 PM
C J Campbell

Grand Canyon Caverns (but it is gravel -- not really soft, but neither is it
'paved'), Temple Bar, Grand Canyon Valley (Bedrock theme park), and
Wickenburg (dude ranches) come to mind. Marble Canyon, and Page, too. There
is an interesting ghost town near Cottonwood.

Old February 26th 04, 05:26 AM
Scott Schluer

Wow, thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! Gives me a lot to go on.
I'll post PIREPs from any of these flights.

Scott

Old February 26th 04, 02:17 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
Grand Canyon Caverns (but it is gravel -- not really soft, but neither is

it
'paved'), Temple Bar, Grand Canyon Valley (Bedrock theme park), and
Wickenburg (dude ranches) come to mind. Marble Canyon, and Page, too.

There
is an interesting ghost town near Cottonwood.

Jerome...really "interesting " drive in from the south on 89A.

Old February 26th 04, 03:39 PM
Robert Moore

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote

Jerome...really "interesting " drive in from the south on 89A.

From the South...piece-of-cake....from the North, a whole
different animal.

My cousin and I were returning to California from Oshkosk back
in the late '80s driving a 32' motorhome. We had stopped in
Sedona for lunch and decided to continue on down to Wickenburg
and on the map, the straightest line looked to be 89A. Little
did we know that it went over an 8,000' mountain at Jerome.
The most hazardous, steep, winding road that I can recall ever
driving on.

The engine temperature gage went full scale and with the throttle
full open, we could not get more than 10 mph. I kept my left
foot poised just over the brake pedal since I was sure that at
any moment, we were going to start rolling backwards.

At places in Jerome, the road carved into the side of the mountain
was so narrow that the fireplugs sat in the roadway.

Driving down Oak Creek Canyon Road to Sedona was one of the most
beautiful drives that I have taken. Overlooking Sedona and the
surrounding territory from the elevated position of the Sedona
airport was a breath-taking view.

Bob Moore
Old February 26th 04, 10:27 PM
John Galban

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...
Marble Canyon, and Page, too.

That's a good one. Flying over Lake Powell is probably the second
most scenic flight in AZ (Red Rocks in Sedona are 1st).
Additionally, you're just a short flight away from Bryce Canyon, UT.
An excellent day trip from Phoenix.

There is a very cool little strip 11 miles north of the Horseshoe
Dam on the Verde River, but it's 1,600 ft. of dirt so your FBO might
not approve. It sits on a cliff just above a bend in the river. It's
got a camping area with fire rings and a picnic table (maintained by
local pilots). Look for it on your way north. It's a great spot this
time of year.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old February 27th 04, 02:07 AM
C J Campbell

"Jeff" wrote in message
valley of fire - north of las vegas

You want to fly into Overton or Mesquite for that one. Also, there is Echo
Bay near Overton. Haven't been to that one yet but it is high on my list.

Another cool day trip is into Desert Regional at Thermal, CA. Grab the crew
car and drive down the road about a mile for date milkshakes. Call in
advance for hours.

Old February 27th 04, 07:10 AM
Jeff

I havnt landed at echo bat or overton yet, I fly over it alot, and I see it
from above, but havnt landed. The only time I have landed at mesquite was when
I was getting my private.