Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

Old March 6th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

Default Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

On Mar 5, 4:36*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
I'm not sure why people make fun of Iowa that way, but I am sure there
must be very good reasons Iowans deserve it. *Just like with the
French!

Pretty good! *But you forgot this one:

What does "IOWA" stand for?

Idiots
Out
Walking
Around

I didn't forget it. I just didn't think it was very funny.

You see, unlike the French (and several folks in this thread), I have
something called "a sense of humor". * I suggest you guys find one -- it
makes the world much more fun!

Besides, I'm not from Iowa...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Oh, so you are just joking when you say the French are arrogant,
irrelevant, etc. Is that the sense of humor we should adopt?

I like a good joke, and I found the original post pretty clever. But
I only take it as a joke, and I don't take the underlying stereotypes
seriously. Your posts attempt to show why the jokes and stereotypes
are actually justified. I didn't find the original joke offensive,
but your posts I definitely find offensive.

Phil
Old March 6th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I like a good joke, and I found the original post pretty clever. But
I only take it as a joke, and I don't take the underlying stereotypes
seriously. Your posts attempt to show why the jokes and stereotypes
are actually justified. I didn't find the original joke offensive,
but your posts I definitely find offensive.

Your hypersensitivity aside, I'm trying to explain to you WHY the French are
the butt of jokes in America. Whether you choose to listen or not is
irrelevant, and we haven't even begun to discuss whether I believe the jokes
are justified.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 6th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Are you seriously a clod, or are you "jes funnin?"

So, may I presume that you have nothing further to contribute to the
conversation?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 6th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
I like a good joke, and I found the original post pretty clever. But
I only take it as a joke, and I don't take the underlying stereotypes
seriously. Your posts attempt to show why the jokes and stereotypes
are actually justified. I didn't find the original joke offensive,
but your posts I definitely find offensive.

Your hypersensitivity aside, I'm trying to explain to you WHY the
French are the butt of jokes in America.

But they aren't the butt of jokes in America. At least not where I live.

In fact I seem to recall something about an attempt to rename "french
fries" to "freedom fries" that made the U.S. the butt of jokes around the
world. (Oh yeah - the work of Republican Walter Jones of NC. Eventually
became a critic of the Iraq war and said he wished the "fries" episode had
never happened.)

Old March 6th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Default Way off topic, but it has do to with the French upgraded to equalopportunity insulter

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

You still don't get it. Cultural stereotypes are little jokes we tell
about each other to have some fun. They're not real, we're just pulling
each other's legs. And it's the job of the one who tells them to invent
them. So for example it would be your job to invent an anti-German one.
But you didn't, you just repeated the same old same old one. Lame.
Meanwhile it's our job to come up with anti-American ones, which is
what I did. It's your job not to get uppity about it, especially not as
you do it to everyone else, but to lay back and enjoy it.

Exactly. Have you ever read the whole 'Blinkenlights'
story?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinkenlights
Old March 6th 08, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Jay Honeck schrieb:
Or do you
think that by visiting three cities in the US you now "know" America better
than if you had actually spent time in school *studying* American history?

Yes, I do. Else I'd still think that you are alltogether ignorant idiots
- like many people think here about Americans. So now I only think that
- as everywhere else - only a minority are ignorant idiots, but one
hears not too much of the other folks with a clue.

It's just like in this group: one reads too much from you and one might
think that all here are like you.

Besides it was more than 3 cities. But as you have not answered my
question I am sure that you never have been abroad and that you don't
hold a valid passport. It's typically for your ignorance that you try to
insult if you're out of arguments.

My only hope is that your kids are different and that they sometime try
to search for their names, so they will find your postings on this group
and they hopefully will see what an ignorant you are. You said your son
makes a trip to spain (?): hopefully he get's an idea of how things work
"in the rest of the world".

#m
Old March 6th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Wolfgang Schwanke schrieb:
but to lay back and enjoy it.

Hey! You're German. Aren't you supposed to not have fun at all? :-))

#m

Old March 6th 08, 11:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-06, Jim Logajan wrote:
Your hypersensitivity aside, I'm trying to explain to you WHY the
French are the butt of jokes in America.

But they aren't the butt of jokes in America. At least not where I live.

They have been both places I've lived.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
Old March 6th 08, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-06, Martin Hotze wrote:
Yes, I do. Else I'd still think that you are alltogether ignorant idiots
- like many people think here about Americans.

Quite frankly, I don't care whether the rest of the world thinks well of
Americans as a whole or not. Perhaps that's because I got tired of such
things as the London newspaper's famous headline after George W. Bush's
reelection. Any candidate who puts other countries' opinion of the US ahead
of our own national interests, such as Kerry, is a candidate who I will
never support.
Old March 6th 08, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 5, 11:04 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Are you seriously a clod, or are you "jes funnin?"

So, may I presume that you have nothing further to contribute to the
conversation?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

A conversation is an exchange of ideas, thoughts, emotions, and
information.

What you do is pontificate from ignorance, then blather on in weak
attempts to support your ridiculous conclusions.

That's not conversation.

And - in case you think I don't "get it" -- what you've posted is
summarize thusly: "Since I know people who joke about the French the
jokes must be true."

The fact that you can't appreciate how patently absurd this reasoning
is (not the sentiment about the French, but the logic driving you to
this conclusion) means you're hopeless.

Dan